CFE223 In 35 Whelen

250 Hornady

20210811_112018.jpg

@jwp475
How come you are seeting the 250s so deep. This is the depth I seat my 250gr Hornady Interlock spire point. Note the position of the canulre above the case neck. This still leaves me around 40 thou off the lands.
Bob

@jwp475
How come you are seeting the 250s so deep. This is the depth I seat my 250gr Hornady Interlock spire point. Note the position of the canulre above the case neck. This still leaves me around 40 thou off the lands.
Bob
20210812_073747.jpg

Whenever the supplies get better, I’m definitely getting CFE223.
I’ll definitely be using it in my 35 Whelen.
I’ll probably be using StaBALL 6.5 for the 338-06.
The 9.3x62 likes the same powders as the 35 Whelen.

Hawk

Bob the factory loads shot very well in this rifle, so I seated to the same length.
Figured if it ain't broke don't fix it
@jwp475
Don't hurt to be different. Whelens come with a long throat so be brave and try different it may or may not be better. What speed are you getting out of the 250s.
Bob

There is still powder fouling though... I clean a gun after every shoot regardless whether 1 shot or 50. Someone has to keep Hoppes in business!
I let the gun tell me when it's time to be cleaned. Once that is known I clean it accordingly. Most of my 308s will easily go 500 rds between cleaning, 6.5s 400, 6s 300-350. Once cleaned it can take any thing from 5 to 25 rds to foul the barrel.

Not to drift this older thread, but CFE223 is marvelous in the .222 REM & the .223 also.

@sestoppelman
All I do to clean most of my rifles is run a nylon brush thru them a few times and forward with a couple of dry patches followed by a patch soaked in INOX. Patch out before using. When accuracy starts to drop of I then give them a proper clean.
We have been in lock down so long I've taken to using Hoppes No9 as after shave just to remind me of the smell of a rifle.
Bob
We have just had news there is no clear end to our lockdown and that's after 9 weeks already.
Bob, I was told by person that built two of my custom rifles “Only use Nylon brushes“ on rifles — Never bronze or steel… His concern was that barrel rifling wears our more form cleaning then shooting, he was also a competitive bench rest shooter. I’ve followed that advice and Not sure if it is correct or opinion but it seemed safe way to clean and it;s worked ok for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!