Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
The bad weather outside has me thinking about my load development. Actually, overthinking is probably more accurate.

I have loaded the 149gr ESP version for my 308 NM.
20191024_105259.jpg

The reloading manuals I have checked allow for up to a compressed 76gr H4831 with a typical 150gr bullet at about 3250fps. However, these ESP Raptors are longer, so I suspect the powder will compress with a smaller load.

The bullet works by having petals break off. I am thinking I want to try an increase the velocity to make this process work better. But, I am also thinking that perhaps compressing the load too aggressively to gain an extra 200 fps may also not be worth it. Particularly as this load will be used in different climates in Northern Canada and (hopefully) Africa.

I will hunt deer, black bear and moose with this load domestically.

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Load looks to be grouping like a Rock Star! I’d be tempted to stay where I’m at. Who am I kidding, I’d see what I get with a bit more 4831. My experience though is that when you get a group like that out of a bullet like the CEB, velocity changes, up or down will open it up. You are in that sweet spot right now by the looks of it. You may not get another 2 grains of powder in the case using the CEB, might need to go to a wee bit faster powder burn rate. But I will bet those deer and bears will not feel like you disrespected them when hit with a 3065fps load over a 3250 one!!

I would recommend sending an email to CEB asking them for load info. They understand their bullets are unique and will happily provide that information. Get your starting loads from that and work up.

I would recommend sending an email to CEB asking them for load info. They understand their bullets are unique and will happily provide that information. Get your starting loads from that and work up.

I did that first, but they didn't have any for the 308 Norma Mag. My starting load had a variance between shots that they didn't think was good. When I increased the powder charge the variance between shots decreased. They are satisfied with where I have landed with 74 grains. But, I also suspect they would not advise a random customer to push beyond what seemed adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!