CEB Raptors - when is good enough?

Pheroze

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
5,574
Reaction score
9,982
Location
Ontario
Media
100
Articles
32
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
6
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
The bad weather outside has me thinking about my load development. Actually, overthinking is probably more accurate.

I have loaded the 149gr ESP version for my 308 NM.
20191024_105259.jpg


The reloading manuals I have checked allow for up to a compressed 76gr H4831 with a typical 150gr bullet at about 3250fps. However, these ESP Raptors are longer, so I suspect the powder will compress with a smaller load.

The bullet works by having petals break off. I am thinking I want to try an increase the velocity to make this process work better. But, I am also thinking that perhaps compressing the load too aggressively to gain an extra 200 fps may also not be worth it. Particularly as this load will be used in different climates in Northern Canada and (hopefully) Africa.

I will hunt deer, black bear and moose with this load domestically.

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Load looks to be grouping like a Rock Star! I’d be tempted to stay where I’m at. Who am I kidding, I’d see what I get with a bit more 4831. My experience though is that when you get a group like that out of a bullet like the CEB, velocity changes, up or down will open it up. You are in that sweet spot right now by the looks of it. You may not get another 2 grains of powder in the case using the CEB, might need to go to a wee bit faster powder burn rate. But I will bet those deer and bears will not feel like you disrespected them when hit with a 3065fps load over a 3250 one!!
 
I would recommend sending an email to CEB asking them for load info. They understand their bullets are unique and will happily provide that information. Get your starting loads from that and work up.
 
I would recommend sending an email to CEB asking them for load info. They understand their bullets are unique and will happily provide that information. Get your starting loads from that and work up.

I did that first, but they didn't have any for the 308 Norma Mag. My starting load had a variance between shots that they didn't think was good. When I increased the powder charge the variance between shots decreased. They are satisfied with where I have landed with 74 grains. But, I also suspect they would not advise a random customer to push beyond what seemed adequate.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,915
Members
169,464
Latest member
Levergunsite
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top