Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
As the title suggests chaps.

Is there anything I should do to are for my mounted warthog tusks? Will they crack?

Cheers.

Good question . I would like to no also. Forrest

I just out mine in a shadow box and made pendants of the lowers capped in silver. I should think a gentle wipe once in awhile will do.

if the cores have been filled they should be fine

I have a fair number in a very dry climate, some filled, some not. None has ever cracked.

Swift Dip in South Africa did my dip/pack. They filled my warthog tusks with candle wax. I have also read that glue works as a good filler for the tusks.

If yours are already mounted on something, my guess is they are filled with something.

Last edited:
Swift Dip in South Africa did my dip/pack. They filled my warthog tusks with candle wax. I have also read that glue works as a good filler for the tusks.

If yours are already mounted on something, my guess is they are filled with something.

They should be for sure. Bondo is the best and easiest.

I should have noted that mine are filled with wax also

I wondered what that junk inside of my warthog's tusks was. Now I know it is wax placed there by Swift Dip. My taxidermist warned me that they would eventually crack, so he is putting replica tusks on my mount. Good news for me, as I get to have a mount and my complete warthog skull.

warthog skull.jpg

Most warthog tusks I had that were laying around in a box started cracking between 8-20 years. Bushpig tusks held up better.

I never treated them, but probably should have.

I fill hog tusks with clear epoxy for the ones from around here as long as they are filled they should not crack

I used silicone caulk on my wild boar tusks from 28 years ago, Haven't cracked to date.

I used candle wax inside the tusk (hippo, warthog , ele, bushpig) and I close the tusk with a cap of wax (but not candle) (I'm french and I don't know the english word for this)

When mounting a warthog, I fill the tusks using Bondo thinned with fibreglass resin.

Smaller pig tusks I fill with epoxy.

When mounting a warthog, I fill the tusks using Bondo thinned with fibreglass resin.

Smaller pig tusks I fill with epoxy.
The wax is feeding the ivory during year , I don't think than epoxy making the same , may be ...

Most warthog tusks I had that were laying around in a box started cracking between 8-20 years. Bushpig tusks held up better.

I never treated them, but probably should have.

I've had just the opposite happened. My warthogs tusks have held up (most filled with bondo) and my bushpig (filled with wax bc I haven't gotten around to melting it out and filling with resin) cracked within 2 yrs.

As noted above, even if filled with wax, I try to get it out and fill them with resin, epoxy or bondo.

I used candle wax inside the tusk (hippo, warthog , ele, bushpig) and I close the tusk with a cap of wax (but not candle) (I'm french and I don't know the english word for this)

Perhaps: paraffin?

YES , thanks Ridge Runner.

FINALY : paraffin inside the tusk and candle wax for closing the tusk . Paraffin is feeding the ivory

Not easy to find the good english word when you are french with a school english level

You are welcome.
I know what you mean all to well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg