Cape Buffalo hunting in 2022 - What would be the better choice in 375 H&H?

Very curious and very honest question…if going after a Buffalo with a 375, why would you not want to use a 300 gr bullet?
Yes

I think it is unfair to continue to criticize Hornady DGX since they have now been totally re-engineered. Does anyone have experience shooting DG with the new DGS?
As an example I wouldn’t use any Hornady bullet on anything but varmits in the past. The ELDX is a true improvement and I’ve used it a fair bit on game now and will in the future. So what’s to say the new DGX would not perform very well now? I liken this to the Blaser discussions where some nimrod drags us some suspected (but not proven) issue with the R93 and compares that the the totally re-engineered R8. There is simply no comparison.
That said I would take Swift A Frame or Barnes any day for anything. We may all have to temper our preferences as there is Hornady ammo for sale and not much else.
Regards
Philip

I haven't yet had a chance to measure myself with dangerous game, but as a rifle product manager I have polled several prominent writers and editors with a combined experience of hundreds of safaris.

For .375 H&H, the Hornady 300gr DGX seems to be the most used load for the thin-skinned variety of the big stuff. Ditto in terms of sales numbers.

I know there are more hi-tech choices in bullets, but this seems to be the default choice for a lot of hunting professionals and ammo buyers. YMMV

I haven't yet had a chance to measure myself with dangerous game, but as a rifle product manager I have polled several prominent writers and editors with a combined experience of hundreds of safaris.

For .375 H&H, the Hornady 300gr DGX seems to be the most used load for the thin-skinned variety of the big stuff. Ditto in terms of sales numbers.

I know there are more hi-tech choices in bullets, but this seems to be the default choice for a lot of hunting professionals and ammo buyers. YMMV
I spoke with my PH about ammo and he said that the DGX and DGS are about all they can find on a regular basis in loaded ammo. This is one of the reasons that he reloads.

I think it is unfair to continue to criticize Hornady DGX since they have now been totally re-engineered. Does anyone have experience shooting DG with the new DGS?
As an example I wouldn’t use any Hornady bullet on anything but varmits in the past. The ELDX is a true improvement and I’ve used it a fair bit on game now and will in the future. So what’s to say the new DGX would not perform very well now? I liken this to the Blaser discussions where some nimrod drags us some suspected (but not proven) issue with the R93 and compares that the the totally re-engineered R8. There is simply no comparison.
That said I would take Swift A Frame or Barnes any day for anything. We may all have to temper our preferences as there is Hornady ammo for sale and not much else.
Regards
Philip
It may be a fine bullet. The issue many of us take with Hornady is all the years of telling us that the non-bonded DGX was great medicine for buffalo, when in fact I truly believe that they knew it wasn't true. Once you have lost trust, it's a long slow road to gain it back.

I always find these discussions about bullet performance, difficult discussions, because there are so many variables at play, and so many unknowns in the discussions. Invariably, I wonder what expectations the bullets are intended to meet?

One such critical variable is the speed
at which the bullet is designed to be used. In the case of the original non-bonded .375, .450/400, .450, .470, .500, etc. DGX, these were bullets that were designed to reproduce the construction and performance of the original Kynoch slugs, in order to regulate in doubles that were regulated with Kynoch ammo, and in order to match the ballistics of the multiple rear sight folding leaves calibrated to specific distances on classic "express" bolt action rifles.

I have always wondered if the issues reported arose from factory loaded ammo, or from hand-loaded ammo in which the bullets may have been pushed outside of their speed envelope. I generally do not know the answer, because rarely do folks who experience an issue provide such information, but, for example, I would not expect a traditional "soft" bullet that was designed to be used in a .450 NE load at 2,150 fps to perform well at .458 Lott speed. Is there a gap in expectations here?

Another variable is the definition of "failure". I would think that we all agree that game reaction to a hit is hardly calibrated on a constant scale. Some Buff go down at the first shot, some go down at the 10th shot ... or anything in between, and this seems to happen regardless of which bullet is used. Does a bullet fail if the Buff does not go down? I am not sure...

As mentioned in my previous post, there is also the question of what constitutes bullet failure? The old question: "at which time in the animal death did the bullet fail?" always struck me as pertinent. I have a lot more experience with the Nosler Partition than I do with the DGX, and I have lost count of how many mangled NP I recovered from stone-dead game. To push the point further, the NP was in fact DESIGNED for explosive expansion of the front core, and yes, many recovered NP have lost most or all of it, and do not look good in postmortem pics, but they are recovered from game they killed, and they met perfectly the expectation placed in them. Is the definition of success for a bullet to produce a book-perfect postmortem picture of equally and evenly mushroomed petals? I am not sure...

Does a 1945 technology NP fail because it does not look, post-mortem, like a 1984 technology bonded partition A frame? I am not sure...

Does a 1910 reproduction technology DGX designed to duplicate the performance of a Kynoch in a 1920's classic British double fail because it does not look, post-mortem, like a 2020 technology TSX? I am not sure...

Does a 1965 Mustang GT fail because it does not match the performance of a 2015 Mustang GT? Or would the expectation that a 1965 can outrace a 2015 be unreasonable?

Just because we now benefit from bullets that - in most (but not all) cases - perform equally well at 1,800 fps and 3,800 fps, and that - in most (but not all) cases - retain fairly reliably 95% of their weight while exhibiting a beautiful harmonious mushroomed shape and/or delicate petals, does not necessarily mean that other bullets that do not, fail. It may simply mean that older technology bullets have a narrower window of performance, and that wise hunters would be well served to use them for what they were intended.

Obviously, there have been, historically, some flawed designs, well documented in the literature, such as various "copper capped" designs that not only gained disastrous reputations, but also stained forever the calibers to which they were associated. The 10.75x68mm Mauser comes to mind. But this is not what we are discussing here.

I do not know, but I could understand John Nosler or Steve Hornady sticking to their gun (pun fully intended) saying that the bullets they designed perform exactly as expected, hence flawlessly ... in their expected application.

It is of course obviously smart to prefer modern-design bullets that perform across a wider performance window when the rifle used launches them well.

Last edited:
5046ABBA-EE36-4FFD-A0FF-25A7D13AFA04.jpeg
FB67A184-B667-420F-940B-BEF11FA79B0C.jpeg
6E5531A1-8116-4F2F-9AF7-13E314037614.jpeg
05675836-4EFC-4F85-A1A2-88FBA406F0C4.jpeg

For the last 30 years, I’ve always opted for the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft point IN 300 Gr WEIGHT for taking Cape buffalo during my African safaris. And I’ve never regretted it.

Stay away from .375 caliber 250 Gr bullets ( of ANY form or make ) for Cape buffalo hunting. If the “ Hornady Dangerous Game Series “ bullets which you refer to, are their new Dangerous Game eXpanding Bonded soft points, then you can definitely use those on your Cape buffalo hunt.

Last edited:
Regards
Philip
4DB20688-EEAA-4B4E-9316-A778C59C6D67.jpeg
59D57BDE-919E-41DF-831E-30445DC0D377.jpeg

Recovered 500 Gr Hornady DGS bullet from a .458 Winchester Magnum factory load ( current production ). Definitely wouldn’t want to use a bullet that performs like this, on elephant or rhino or Cape buffalo ( not that I advocate using solids on Cape buffalo anyway, but that’s besides the point ).

Their 1980s era round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids ( only available as reloading components ) were truly good stuff. You could saw a bullet in half and see how thick those copper clad steel jackets were.

I'm partial to barnes tsx for everything (I know those weren't the original options you asked about). Barnes' website has more than 1000 boxes of both 300 and 350 grain 375 tsx currently available. And it is cheaper than the midwayusa listed price even if they had stock (which they don't)

Last edited:
The other part of the equation is how tuff is the animal itself. I know people kill a buff with 1 shot from a .375 and other say it's a night and day difference stepping up to a .4. Some of these buffs do not want to die. Until you have seen it happen with your eyes it's hard to believe. Some of these guys can soak up some lead. I have only killed one, with that said he took 3600gr of swift AFrames. First 3 shots were text book. By the end of it I was afraid I was going to run out of ammo. Point I guess I'm trying to make, don't be overconfident. You have some really good advice already. I'm trying to add a little perspective to the conversion. Get the best bullet you can and bring plenty.

View attachment 445491View attachment 445492

Recovered 500 Gr Hornady DGS bullet from a .458 Winchester Magnum factory load ( current production ). Definitely wouldn’t want to use a bullet that performs like this, on elephant or rhino or Cape buffalo ( not that I advocate using solids on Cape buffalo anyway, but that’s besides the point ).

Their 1980s era round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids ( only available as reloading components ) were truly good stuff. You could saw a bullet in half and see how thick those copper clad steel jackets were.
Thanks for posting this information. Can you tell us more about the bullet? It was a Hornady factory load? What did you shoot?

Thanks for posting this information. Can you tell us more about the bullet? It was a Hornady factory load? What did you shoot?
It was a Hornady factory load. And this happened during target practice after the bullet hit the slope of a hill. This didn’t happen to me, but rather to a fellow hunter whom I recently got acquainted with.

It was a Hornady factory load. And this happened during target practice after the bullet hit the slope of a hill. This didn’t happen to me, but rather to a fellow hunter whom I recently got acquainted with.
So are we judging the performance of this bullet based on it hitting a hill?:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: RTG
So are we judging the performance of this bullet based on it hitting a hill?:unsure:
:X3: I am thinking that the hill didn't get away so can we say that the DGS looks pretty beat up but it did not fail ? I mean a hill in the skinning shed is surely a successful hunt.

Also, I have a feeling the follow up was easy, the hill didn't move and was found DRT, surely that means the Hornady bullet was actually successful in killing a hill with one shot. :LOL:

:X3: I am thinking that the hill didn't get away so can we say that the DGS looks pretty beat up but it did not fail ? I mean a hill in the skinning shed is surely a successful hunt.

Also, I have a feeling the follow up was easy, the hill didn't move and was found DRT, surely that means the Hornady bullet was actually successful in killing a hill with one shot. :LOL:
haha I know right, if we are going to start judging a bullets performance on what it looks like after shooting the dirt/rock/gravel who knows what hill/mountain/mound at the range then I think I give up! I'm sorry but I have to say it, this is ridiculous!

It is lunch time here in Zim so as I eat my biltong, cheese and a beer I was reading this thread. The phone just rang and it was a friend in RSA he just got a quote on some .404J Hornady Bonded DGX in Pretoria $252.00 a box! 250 grn. anythings for buffalo no!

I would bet others made the same mistake I did and confused DGS with GMX. Thank you for pointing that out.
Hornady produces 1 billion bullets a year due to its popularity and nowhere is this manufacturer as badly talked about as in this forum.Unfortunately I have no figures on the amount of Big Game bullets used.
I never had a problem with Hornady,ok ,quantities I did not shoot in Africa,but neither did most here.But what I did shoot well,from impala to buffalo lay. And finito.
I shoot Hornady (self loaded) up and down the whole year and I am very satisfied.Effect and precision are my parameters.If something is not right it is always just me.

The first shot counts, you always have to remember this truism, and once I have gained confidence in the weapon and precision, everything else works out.
Even with a 250gr. Bear Claw.You will have no problem.
Beech.JPG

A long time ago I brought this picture once before.I shot with the much maligned 300gr Hornady Solid in 375 on a 70cm thick,fresh,tough,healthy beech.
The bullet went through like butter.
You can see the exit hole.
The buffalo bone that is as tough, dense and strong as this wet beech wood has yet to be invented.
Just my 2cents
Foxi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross