Cape buffalo hunt coming..what bullets to choose..?

Have used Barnes TSX, Swift A Frames and Nosler Partitions, all worked just fine, will use Barnes from now on, have plenty for the rest of my hunts

The man is using a Krieghoff.......check warranty for the barrels if you fire monolithic bullets through them......

Same here... starting a buff hunt in August this year.

I chose Barnes TSX 400gr for my .404 Jeffery. Manageable recoil and very accurate due to handloads.

The man is using a Krieghoff.......check warranty for the barrels if you fire monolithic bullets through them......
If using monolithic solids in a double, I’d strongly suggest going with Cutting Edge safari solids. They’re designed to be safe for DR barrels. And, they’re damn good solids.

Otherwise, you can’t go wrong with Bearclaws, Swift A frames or TSX’s. They’re all excellent buffalo bullets.

Good day Pondoro
All the best with your buffalo hunt.
I have been using Hornady's DGX Bonded bullets for buffalo hunting in my 470 and up to date I haven't had any issues with them. We have used them on almost any angle possible and the penetration was always sufficient. Wait retention has been between 85 and 88 percent and it mushrooms perfectly forming a great wound channel.
Enjoy Africa and your buff hunt.
Regards

It should be fine, I confirmed from them a while back and they confirmed that the barrels are cold forged, at the same time this is not a match rifle but a hunting one as as such should be treated accordingly.

Good day Pondoro
All the best with your buffalo hunt.
I have been using Hornady's DGX Bonded bullets for buffalo hunting in my 470 and up to date I haven't had any issues with them. We have used them on almost any angle possible and the penetration was always sufficient. Wait retention has been between 85 and 88 percent and it mushrooms perfectly forming a great wound channel.
Enjoy Africa and your buff hunt.
Regards

Thank you Valie..much appreciated..

If using monolithic solids in a double, I’d strongly suggest going with Cutting Edge safari solids. They’re designed to be safe for DR barrels. And, they’re damn good solids.

Otherwise, you can’t go wrong with Bearclaws, Swift A frames or TSX’s. They’re all excellent buffalo bullets.
I strongly suggest you first clear with the manufacturer what they say nit what you think....

Same here... starting a buff hunt in August this year.

I chose Barnes TSX 400gr for my .404 Jeffery. Manageable recoil and very accurate due to handloads.
No Jrieghoff doubles in 404 Jeff...

It should be fine, I confirmed from them a while back and they confirmed that the barrels are cold forged, at the same time this is not a match rifle but a hunting one as as such should be treated accordingly.
Confirmed with who? Krieghoff SA voids the warranty if using monolithics?????

Confirmed with who? Krieghoff SA voids the warranty if using monolithics????
K-USA, have an email from them that I posted in this forum a while back when we had the same discussion

Cool as long as you have it in writing you good to go....

Has anyone used 500 grain Barnes TSX on buffalo..?

View attachment 593079
I killed a buff with the Barnes banded solid but we experimented when we shot a 450 gr TSX from quarter frontal into the dead buff at 10 feet. 2450 FPS (Lott speed) out the snoot and the bullet went through 4 feet of buff and to back of paunch with only one petal lost. In shooting for my 458 XL article, the best soft bullet holding up against the berm and with great expansion was the TSX .. both 450 and 500. I have total faith in the Barnes. They can withstand so much and perform so well. Since you look to be using 458 Lott... have a great time.

My only experience with TSX was using 235 grainers in .375H&H on PG in Namibia...worked splendidly..large wound channels and perfect expansion..
In my 375 H&H, the 235 hits almost 3000 fps and is super accurate. The Barnes fulfills all that Weatherby dreamed of for bullet performance.

I killed a buff with the Barnes banded solid but we experimented when we shot a 450 gr TSX from quarter frontal into the dead buff at 10 feet. 2450 FPS (Lott speed) out the snoot and the bullet went through 4 feet of buff and to back of paunch with only one petal lost. In shooting for my 458 XL article, the best soft bullet holding up against the berm and with great expansion was the TSX .. both 450 and 500. I have total faith in the Barnes. They can withstand so much and perform so well. Since you look to be using 458 Lott... have a great time.
That is all great but the OP is using a Krieghoff doible so this one off info at 2450fps is well useless....

In my 375 H&H, the 235 hits almost 3000 fps and is super accurate. The Barnes fulfills all that Weatherby dreamed of for bullet performance.
More useless info.....

That is all great but the OP is using a Krieghoff doible so this one off info at 2450fps is well useless....
I also shot 500s at similar velocity to what a double would do ... which also produced the same quality... and as noted by others... a plethora of positive comments on the Barnes in general.

Which wete what exactly???

Which wete what exactly???
I was, in part, referring to my useless article published in manMagnum magazine that had numerous useless positive comments in another portion of this site. I apologize for being useless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieterFerg

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.