Cape Buffalo Age

Stubbleduck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Best guess as to the age of the buffalo in the photo?
1714611980041.jpeg

I was also thinking 8-9 yrs old. Still fairly pointy tips on horns. Still has the majority of its hair. Face not showing any white on it. I’ve only killed 2 buffalo so I’m not a pro.
Bruce

7-8

Regardless of his age, he is a fine trophy and he put a smile on the hunter's face.......FWB

The coat is in good shape. No grey in the muzzle. 7-8 years old ?
Need to look at the teeth really. But hell the man had fun !

Congrats on a great looking Buff and with a Bow even better!!
Below is what folks are talking about when they speak of a white face and thinning coat

IMG_0813.jpeg

Not and old buffalo.
Still on the upswing.
Between 6-8 for sure.

HE IS GOING TO LOOK GOOD ON THE WALL. CONGRATS

BUFF 7
BOWHUNTER 52

Age of the Buffalo and the hunter ......... ?? Nah, can't be bothered with the debate.
But, Cape Buffalo hunting............... that never gets old (y):D

There is a really interesting article in Africa Hunting Gazette’s April Monthly email (although a bit on the negative side). It’s called “What makes a trophy buffalo.” The article criticizes the idea that a buffalo needs to be 15 and states most taken are around 8 years old. I think the second part of that is true, maybe 8-10 is normal. It’s seems like most buffalo get aged a few years older than they are, especially if they have any broken horns. On a farm, a 15 year old buffalo isn’t more valuable than a 8-10 year old bull. In a free range area, between hunting quota, lions, and poachers many bulls won’t make it to extreme old age and can be tough to find in a normal 10 day hunt except in top areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lufunom123

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.