CANADA: The Cabin

Thanks for the update.

You are so blessed to have a crew to share this great place with.

And I worry that your hunting time will get cut short...it may be tough to leave such a tight and comfortable cabin! On the other hand, you may be willing to go out in the worst weather now, knowing what you have to come back to!

My wife and I were at our cabin in MO this weekend. Working on the solar farm, splitting firewood, doing some trail work and even managed to kill two Copperheads and a Pygmy Rattler. For sure, any pit viper who thinks living within 100 feet of the cabin gets a Darwin Award!

Congrats on all the progress!

Tim

Looks like the cabin project is coming along nicely. A cabin is such a great step up from a tent, really makes the hunting time more enjoyable.

Looks like the cabin project is coming along nicely. A cabin is such a great step up from a tent, really makes the hunting time more enjoyable.

It is easier to get guys to come hunting when you have a weather-proof shelter with a woodstove!

We've been wet and miserable in tents, and warm and dry in a cabin. Cabin wins unless you want a backpack hunt!

IMG_1787.jpg

@tarbe and a really nice view from the front porch doesn't hurt. Very nice Tim!

@tarbe and a really nice view from the front porch doesn't hurt. Very nice Tim!

This one shows the view a little better....Hillbilly Heaven. Kathy wants me to trim a little more to the left...

IMG_1784.jpg

Gentlemen your cabins look fantastic. I've seen numerous references to people in North America having cabins in the woods for fishing and hunting. I've always wondered about the land ownership aspects. Are these typically built on private land, leased land or do you have an arrangement whereby they can be built on public land. Hoping someone can inform me on this as it seems a great idea.

Gentlemen your cabins look fantastic. I've seen numerous references to people in North America having cabins in the woods for fishing and hunting. I've always wondered about the land ownership aspects. Are these typically built on private land, leased land or do you have an arrangement whereby they can be built on public land. Hoping someone can inform me on this as it seems a great idea.
For my cabin, it is built on private land.
I’m sure structures could be built on leased land but would need to be removed when the lease was terminated “in my experience with leases”.
We have removed many tower blinds, RVs with porches over the year’s once lease terms were up or terminated. I think having a modular type cabin would allow for this too.

Mine is in private as well. There is a lot of public land around me. A friend of mine leases a property from the Crown (government) in Quebec. It has been a leased cabin since well before his time, and he took it over in 1968! So, there is a variety of ownership potential.

Private land for me...and I suspect for 99% of us.

Building on public land with a lease requires lots of red tape and also generally proof of public benefit, in order to get the powers that be to approve.

For instance, I belonged to a rifle club in Eau Claire, Wisconsin which was built on public land (County Forest Land) with a 99 year lease. The benefit to the public is it provided a safe place for folks to shoot, we conducted sight-in clinics, etc.

Thanks for your replies. In my country hunting cabins are not common, but it seems a great idea. Most of our exposure to the concept has been through mentions in American films and TV (not the best indicator of reality). Always wondered how it worked.

Your first pictures remind me of the high tent Elk camp at Burnt Lake in Wyoming! The cabin looks cozy!

It is easier to get guys to come hunting when you have a weather-proof shelter with a woodstove!

We've been wet and miserable in tents, and warm and dry in a cabin. Cabin wins unless you want a backpack hunt!

View attachment 366503

Is it misery loves company or Missouri loves company?

View attachment 366503

Beautiful place Tim.

Can almost see the Baldknobbers coming over the crest.

Beautiful place Tim.

Can almost see the Baldknobbers coming over the crest.
The Baldknobbers know to stay west of Ozark County! We have our own form of justice....lol.

That's just awesome. Spent quite a few moose hunts staying in an old abandoned forest service cabin with my late father when I was a kid. Nice old wood burning stove. Nothing like it waking up with the fresh blanket of snow outside and the smell of woodsmoke and coffee.

That's just awesome. Spent quite a few moose hunts staying in an old abandoned forest service cabin with my late father when I was a kid. Nice old wood burning stove. Nothing like it waking up with the fresh blanket of snow outside and the smell of woodsmoke and coffee.
That's a beautiful memory.

Thanks guys! As you know, there ain't no point without the gang. One of our crew stopped coming out last year, and we are trying to entice him back with a warm cabin, bunk and insulated outhouse :LOL::)
@ Pheroze
Maybe a heated toilet seat and a warm water bidet might help.
:unsure: :coffee::A Stirring:
Looks great beats the heck out of a tent
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you