Can of worms

KansasJake

AH member
Reaction score
Should I sell rifles and pistols (revolvers) to go hunt now, or save money? I could likely go in 2025 either way, but I know the first trip would be less of a financial stressor if I cut down on what is in the safe. The firsts trip would most likely not involve dangerous game.

Save money - don't sell off firearms, with this caveat: trip to Africa aside, if you'd consider selling something anyway, because it's just not of interest to continue to own it, then maybe selling is something to think about.

It's been far more common, speaking for myself, that I have regretted selling a firearm, whatever my motivations might have been.

Frankly, dangerous game not being a consideration, I'd think you could get a really good deal from one of the many sponsors on this site.

Best of wishes from a fellow Kansan (who has been in Alaska a mighty long time).

I used to be something of a shade tree gun collector,
Before “discovering” Africa, I had owned somewhere around 130 firearms simultaneously.
While riding the long flight back from my first Africa hunting experience, I began plotting the sale of **only a few guns, to help pay my way back.
Now 20 or more years later, I have sold off **almost all my former collection, to help pay for having enjoyed 6 hunting trips to Africa.
I am very happy with my decision to quit hoarding sporting goods and start allowing myself to live a little.

For me guns are tools. How many do I need to do the same job? Ashamed to admit I have eight guns: two 30-06 from my dad; five shotguns, all but one with lots of history - only one still in use; and one collectible bought when I was a kid (Model 1881 Marlin 40-60). I should get rid of the collectible and the Citori shotgun I picked up cheap a few years ago as an investment. The collectible is supposedly worth half a Cape buffalo. The Citori might buy a kudu. Good way of putting it in perspective.

Faced the same question myself. My personal collection has shrank in the last few years in number, but increased in value and narrowed to rifles I plan to use. Another factor I incorporated is I won’t keep anything that doesn’t fit me perfectly….Part of the fun for me is owning rifles that are an intrinsic part of planning the trip, unique application tools if you will. That being said I work in the gun industry as a salesman, so I might have 30-50 samples laying around at any given time for all shooting genres, that somewhat pacified the “quantity” aspect of my brain. Guns are money, at least for the time being, if you’re buying right they can always be turned into cash. If we were having a beer and I was your bud and you asked me this question, my answer would be simple. It’s unlikely your last thoughts on this earth as a dying old man will be about steel and wood, but it’s highly likely you will be having memories of incredible experiences.

Before “discovering” Africa, I had owned somewhere around 130 firearms simultaneously.
While riding the long flight back from my first Africa hunting experience, I began plotting the sale of **only a few guns, to help pay my way back.
Now 20 or more years later, I have sold off **almost all my former collection, to help pay for having enjoyed 6 hunting trips to Africa.
I am very happy with my decision to quit hoarding sporting goods and start allowing myself to live a little.
Same reflection here. I look back at the large number of fairly rare firearms I have owned and later sold. If I had kept them all and not gone on any Africa trips, would I have any rich, lasting memories of value or future stores to tell from pulling one out of the safe and holding it? :) The perfect metaphor example for this human trait was penned by Tolkien and can be found in the Lord of the Rings in the character of Smeagol, later aka Gollum

images-10.jpeg

My first trip was in 2012, and my second trip was in 2022. It took close to 10 years to save enough money for this last safari. BTW, I did not sell a single firearm. The times I've gone, I've gone and spent quite some time in Africa. First time was two weeks, and this last time 22 days.

I was planning on going next year but due to unforeseen circumstances, this trip will be delayed by maybe another year. IMHO, I would recommend saving, cut expenses here and there and before you know it, you'll have enough for your trip. Open a savings account, and put your Africa funds into it, and don't touch it. Don't wait, get it done. :LOL:

Completely agree. I had many safe queens. I now only have about 5 that never get used but I would not sell them. I now also have my 3 Africa rifles that all 3 get shot every month at my farm. I am very glad I did this. No my previous guns were not sold to go to Africa but they were sold to get the Africa guns I wanted to get.

My first trip was in 2012, and my second trip was in 2022. It took close to 10 years to save enough money for this last safari. BTW, I did not sell a single firearm. The times I've gone, I've gone and spent quite some time in Africa. First time was two weeks, and this last time 22 days.

I was planning on going next year but due to unforeseen circumstances, this trip will be delayed by maybe another year. IMHO, I would recommend saving, cut expenses here and there and before you know it, you'll have enough for your trip. Open a savings account, and put your Africa funds into it, and don't touch it. Don't wait, get it done. :LOL:
I do the same thing...I set up a separate brokerage account that I just dump money into each month. I always start with the end in mind and then back into monthly savings needed versus the date I want to go. Works for me and I do not see the money.

Quality firearms, purchased wisely, can serve as a long-term investment, just like your stock portfolio. And, just like your stock portfolio, periodic rebalancing makes perfect sense!

Besides, if not the adventure of Africa, what ARE you saving for?

Well the dirty little secret is we all have an expiration date. No matter how full your safe is of guns or money you don't get to take it with you.

The older I get the more I realize how little time we have. It is a balance of everything. Money, time, work, priorities, family, and the vast world of the unknowns that pop up from time to time.

If I were in your shoes, I would put the deposit down now. You have now made the commitment. If you are planning to go 2025, then 6 months before that date you will know if you have saved up your goal. If you are short. Sell a few guns to make up the difference, if you are on track keep up the hard work. Making it happen is up to you.

People are funny about guns, some never want to sell, some run through them like a teenage girl through clothing. No one is right or wrong, it is what fits your needs, wants, and finances. I'm not attached to anyone, I have my favorites. If push came to shove I could dump everything and start over if need be. I know what works better now than when I was 16 thinking I knew about guns because I could quote stats.

Make it happen ball is in your court.

I have a few guns. My big deal is not buying MORE guns and instead saving that money for another African trip. I see all of the talk about doubles and it starts to make one seem pretty appealing.
The answer to your question can go either way. I tend to be with the group that says to sell those you don't need and concentrate on becoming a great shot with those that you do have. If selling them affords you a few more days and a couple of more animals..... Well then you made some great additional memories.
Bruce

Should I sell rifles and pistols (revolvers) to go hunt now, or save money? I could likely go in 2025 either way, but I know the first trip would be less of a financial stressor if I cut down on what is in the safe. The firsts trip would most likely not involve dangerous game.
Sell.

And after 8 trips to Africa; screw that idea you need to start with plains game.

Last 3 have been for elephant and/or buffalo and although I have seen a fair amount of days in the field and shot by a fair amount of plains game; doing it all again I would have done more buffalo and elephant hunting for the money I spent on multiple plains game trophy fees.

I might not make it back again now and have some really terrific memories, none involve what was in my gun safe. I look at a pics and skulls hanging on the wall everyday, I dont open the safe and fondle my rifle because thats what I shot.

I think this is a decision only you can make...

For me, my collection of firearms waxes and wanes at different times.. I go through phases where I buy things, not really because I need them, but because I either see a really good deal on something, or I just "want" a new rifle, etc..

And then.. I'll wake up one afternoon and realize "Ive got 10x "deer" rifles in the safe.. thats sorta silly.. none of them are particularly fancy, or valuable, or hold sentimental value... I should probably let a few go..."...

So I'll sell a few things off.. and typically invest that money into something I want/value more.. that might be a couple of upgraded/better/nicer firearms.. or it might be a hunt.. or it might be other hunting/outdoors related equipment.. etc..

What I do NOT do is sell off material items for the specific purpose of funding a hunt or another gun, etc.. If I really want a hunt or a new rifle (or anything else for that matter).. I'll save for it... and just put off buying whatever it is I want until I am financially positioned for it, whether it takes me a week, a month, or a year, etc..

But.. there have certainly been times I have realized "6x glocks in 9mm isnt really useful.."... made the decision to let a few go (not because I wanted something else.. but because I did not want the glocks..)... and then re-invested that money into something else that was more useful..

When I was younger I was a collector of everything which interested me, as I get older I no longer care much about the posession of material things, except a few items whch have sentimental value.

Now it is more about enjoying the experience, and if I have so sell things to have an experience, so be it !

When I was younger I was a collector of everything which interested me, as I get older I no longer care much about the posession of material things, except a few items whch have sentimental value.

Now it is more about enjoying the experience, and if I have so sell things to have an experience, so be it !
Great minds think alike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross