Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA life member
Hunted
Namibia,USA, east cape sa
hi AH, I'd like your input on the right caliber for a springbok grand slam, I'd like to take the trip to sa just for that. I used a 7mm when in Namibia and harvested a kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, zebra and red hartebeest. I'm thinking a 7 mm might be too big for springbok? Any input would be greatly appreciated. And I do have a 280 rem and a 243. Would either of them be adequate?

hi AH, I'd like your input on the right caliber for a springbok grand slam, I'd like to take the trip to sa just for that. I used a 7mm when in Namibia and harvested a kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, zebra and red hartebeest. I'm thinking a 7 mm might be too big for springbok? Any input would be greatly appreciated. And I do have a 280 rem and a 243. Would either of them be adequate?

Yes. Springbok are small critters.

I have my eye on a 220 swift, at my local gun shop.

Legal and adequate are two different things. :)

.243 is a great choice. They can do more than what most people give them credit for. In the East Cape a few yrs ago my son had his .243 and I was hunting with a 7 mm. One day my son went out specifically for a Kudu so he borrowed my 7 mm. I took his .243 and killed a beautiful Nyala. 1 shot at about 175 yards. Did the job just fine.
Later in the trip he was hunting Lechwe. The landowner had him on. A herd. The landowner said to shoot so he did just as a young bull stepped in front of the big one. Long story short he got both in one shot. TTSX went through both animals.
Any flat shooting accurate rifle will do fine for springbuck. Bruce

I think take whatever you are the most comfortable shooting. We killed one of ours with a 300 short mag and I shot the other with a 270. Springbuck are little bitty buggers so a 243 would work fine. Of course I'm a bit bias as I really like 243's and have several of them. I've killed big mule deer and whitetail with that caliber many times though I will admit it's not what one would most consider a "deer" caliber.

I've collected many whitetail buck with my 243. I love that gun, so I think I have my answer. Thank you guys!

Those calibers are certainly adequate, as others have noted. I think the bigger issue is what else you plan to shoot and the number of rifles you plan to take. Some here might suggest a .243 would be adequate for most plains game; I wouldn't be one of those.

So if you plan to shoot eland and zebra for example, and could only take one rifle, I'd move up. I've used a .300 win mag on springbok, which while certainly more than adequate, has never blown them up (bullet selection is important). And it gives me more flexibity than a .243 would.

I'd be careful of assuming you won't want to hunt anything else once in Africa. When you're in a candy store . . .

Shoot with premium bullets letter fly and you'll pile him up right there.

I used federal premium ablr in 160 grain for my only african hunt, they worked out awesome! For the animals I collected

smallest rifle ive ever used for hunting anything short of varments is a 6.5mm or .264". im sure the 243 would work but why use such a small caliber? little critters can easily be taken with your 7mm as long as your careful about bullet selection. if you are really concerned the 280 is an excellent option.

-matt

I bought my son a 257 weatherby mag just for this hunt and for pronghorn in the states. That with a 100 grain barnes ttsx was great for them. Must shoots will be over a 100yds and having a gun that will do 300yds in a good idea.

I would have no problem with a 7mm with a 140 to 150 grain bullet as it will shoot good and flat and work just fine.Would also say that 243 with a good bullet would be perfect for them also. The gun you can shoot the best at up to 300 to 400 yards is the gun I would use.

That 257 took a kudu,impala and 2 bushbuck and none of them ever to a step plus the springbuck. The white was taken with my 300 win mag though. Good bullet and a good shot that 243 will kill them no problem at all.

Good to know, my 243 has done well for me, I'd love to take some african game with it.

Here in Saskatchewan, many whitetails and mulies fall to .243s every year. In the last 2 years, my young goddaughter has taken a spike elk, fork horn moose and a black bear with hers. All 1-shot kills. I just bought one and will be going after whitetail with it this year.

I think it would be perfect for springbok, bushbuck, impala and the like.

You could use a .243 Win for springboks!

The gun you can shoot the best at up to 300 to 400 yards is the gun I would use.
This is the key! Second I would go with that difficult factor of what you "want" to use. I mean why not? Any of the calibers you have already and mentioned are very fine choices..... The only reason not to use the 243 is if you only want to take one gun and will likely be taking some bigger critters.

With my wife in tow, I've always dragged 4 guns along with over there, but next time I am resolved to only take two. Perhaps one day I will go on a one gun safari but it would be difficult to fathom that with anything but a 375 H&H.

+1 for the .243

A .243 would be perfect, but there nothing wrong with your .7mm to do the job either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg