Bushpig hunting tips and tricks

jndrina

Reaction score
Hunted
Bush pig
All bushpigs hunters, may I have your attention, please!

Why talking about bushpigs in my first thread? Because that's what I hunt in Madagascar.

I have carefully read the AH forums to find tips on the bushpigs hunt. Most use baits, some use dogs and other rely on luck.

I not tell you about dogs or luck because I think it's the same everywhere.

Using bait ahead and install trail cam is also impossible because the hunting areas are far away (sometimes several days drive).

So I'll tell you how I hunt bushpigs in Madagascar so that AH experts can give me advices.

During morning, I’m moving in the bush to find areas where bushpigs ate. Depending on the season, I know what they eat and I’m looking first trees with many ripe fruits. The best is the one where fallen fruits have been eaten by bushpigs the day before.

For example, the bushpigs are very fond of orange monkey (native orange), cashew apple, mango or jujube. When it is very dry, it is also possible near a water point where they come to drink.

In the most suitable place, by paying attention to the wind direction, I installed my blind in a nearby tree or if it is not possible on the ground behind a camouflage of branches.

In the late afternoon, around 5PM, I sit and I usually wait until 10PM.

I use a flashlight mounted on my shotgun or held by another person. When the bushpigs come, you see dark shapes in the night. Here they are usually in pairs, the sow comes first and the boar follows after a few minutes.

Then, I expect that one stop to eat. At this moment, I turn the light on and have 1 to 2 seconds toshoot…before they disappear into the night.

I use a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs or buckshot because rifles are forbidden in Madagascar. The shooting distance varies from 2 to 15 meters but you usually need several nights to have one.

I noticed that bushpigs are very smart: they are very fast, they smell and hear very well so when you are in the blind, you don’t move or make noise or smoke and don’t put mosquito repellent!

I also noticed that when it is the black moon, bushpigs often come to eat before night (you don’t need light to shoot) but during the full moon, they come very rarely or only come out once the moon has disappeared.

From what I read on the AH website, some use light with a red lense: they light height before down slowly towards the bushpigs. Others use a motion activated or remote sensor feeder light to gradually illuminate the area to avoid spooking the bushpigs.

So, you understand that hunting bushpigs here is a do-it-yourself from what I've read on the AH forum!

If some have tips, photos, products, advice I could adapted to hunting practiced here, do not hesitate!

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

In Africa baiting is what works best.

I hunt bushpigs here in south africa because they are a DCA animal and also a very worthy adversary. I have also used a lot of methods to hunt them. I have used red light, white light, night vision and thermal imaging as well. Because I hunt them in the macadamia nut plantation you can here them eating a long way off and plan your stalk accordingly. Imo the wind is the thing you must pay most attention to when hunting these weary animals, when they are feeding they don't seem to pay much attention to nois.
If someone were to ask me what my secret to success is when hunting bushpig, my answer would be "put in as much time and effort in to hunting these animals as you can and your success will improve".
With that being said I have used all those methods with success but the best method is the one you find that works for you and in your area.
I have night vision scopes an I currently use a red dot mounted on a 308wim with a white light attached. That is just what is working for me now and in the aeria that I hunt.
Best regards and good luck
Johan
All bushpigs hunters, may I have your attention, please!

Why talking about bushpigs in my first thread? Because that's what I hunt in Madagascar.

I have carefully read the AH forums to find tips on the bushpigs hunt. Most use baits, some use dogs and other rely on luck.

I not tell you about dogs or luck because I think it's the same everywhere.

Using bait ahead and install trail cam is also impossible because the hunting areas are far away (sometimes several days drive).

So I'll tell you how I hunt bushpigs in Madagascar so that AH experts can give me advices.

During morning, I’m moving in the bush to find areas where bushpigs ate. Depending on the season, I know what they eat and I’m looking first trees with many ripe fruits. The best is the one where fallen fruits have been eaten by bushpigs the day before.

For example, the bushpigs are very fond of orange monkey (native orange), cashew apple, mango or jujube. When it is very dry, it is also possible near a water point where they come to drink.

In the most suitable place, by paying attention to the wind direction, I installed my blind in a nearby tree or if it is not possible on the ground behind a camouflage of branches.

In the late afternoon, around 5PM, I sit and I usually wait until 10PM.

I use a flashlight mounted on my shotgun or held by another person. When the bushpigs come, you see dark shapes in the night. Here they are usually in pairs, the sow comes first and the boar follows after a few minutes.

Then, I expect that one stop to eat. At this moment, I turn the light on and have 1 to 2 seconds toshoot…before they disappear into the night.

I use a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs or buckshot because rifles are forbidden in Madagascar. The shooting distance varies from 2 to 15 meters but you usually need several nights to have one.

I noticed that bushpigs are very smart: they are very fast, they smell and hear very well so when you are in the blind, you don’t move or make noise or smoke and don’t put mosquito repellent!

I also noticed that when it is the black moon, bushpigs often come to eat before night (you don’t need light to shoot) but during the full moon, they come very rarely or only come out once the moon has disappeared.

From what I read on the AH website, some use light with a red lense: they light height before down slowly towards the bushpigs. Others use a motion activated or remote sensor feeder light to gradually illuminate the area to avoid spooking the bushpigs.

So, you understand that hunting bushpigs here is a do-it-yourself from what I've read on the AH forum!

If some have tips, photos, products, advice I could adapted to hunting practiced here, do not hesitate!

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

We just hunt wild hogs in the states and the method is very similar.

We just hunt wild hogs in the states and the method is very similar.
I, also, shoot wild pigs in the States [Texas]. I've seen thousands and shot hundreds I've also shot plenty of warthogs. They don't compare with bushpig. I've hunted Africa--Namibia, South Africa, Zim, Zambia and Ethiopia--many times over the past 40 plus years and have seen a bushpig exactly once. I shot it--a young male. Bushpigs are far more noctural and far more shy than Texas' feral pigs. The bushpig I shot was low tech. It was in the Eastern Cape and the property owner put out corn, producing a yellow 'lawn', 50-60 feet wide. He waited until the full moon so that we could see the pale corn distinct from the dark land adjacent to it. We watched the wind and waited until the black silhouette of a pig moved into the corn. There was no way to judge trophy quality.

Because of the difficulty, I consider a mature bushpig a real trophy. Besides they look kind of exotic. I plan to hunt for the South African version within the year and hope to hunt bushpig in West Africa [Red River Hog] a few months after.

I, also, shoot wild pigs in the States [Texas]. I've seen thousands and shot hundreds I've also shot plenty of warthogs. They don't compare with bushpig. I've hunted Africa--Namibia, South Africa, Zim, Zambia and Ethiopia--many times over the past 40 plus years and have seen a bushpig exactly once. I shot it--a young male. Bushpigs are far more noctural and far more shy than Texas' feral pigs. The bushpig I shot was low tech. It was in the Eastern Cape and the property owner put out corn, producing a yellow 'lawn', 50-60 feet wide. He waited until the full moon so that we could see the pale corn distinct from the dark land adjacent to it. We watched the wind and waited until the black silhouette of a pig moved into the corn. There was no way to judge trophy quality.

Because of the difficulty, I consider a mature bushpig a real trophy. Besides they look kind of exotic. I plan to hunt for the South African version within the year and hope to hunt bushpig in West Africa [Red River Hog] a few months after.

And putting out corn to bait the bush pig at night, In Africa, is different from hunting wild hog in the US how? Because what you described is how I hunt them day or night! I actually think they do compare to the bush pig a lot. They are both smart and can smell you if the wind isn’t in your favor. I got one out of a sounder two years ago at my deer camp, South Arkansas, at mid day. They came into the clearing in front of my box stand at my 5 o’clock and circled through the brush all the way around to my 7 o’clock then darted into the corn feeder! They never knew I was twelve feet above them with my 50 cal muzzle loader.i kept hoping that two would line up side by side so I could shoot two with one shot but as luck would have it they just kept darting around.
Been to Africa 6 times and never seen one either, bush pig, but then again I wasn’t in the right place with the right bait.

Bushpig was on my list last two hunts in EC with KMG. It was real challenge , for me PH from 1986. During more than 30 years, using diferent methods got over 600 european wild boars personally ,over 3800 with clients. My biggest mistake was do compare to the bush pig european wild boar. Bush brothers are far more noctural and far more shy than wild boars. Only very old tuskers more shy and nocturnal than bushpigs.
First effort to get pig was shameful for me and Marius-pig came from behind started snuffing 2-3 meterts from our tent blind , after whis he made longggg pee on the corner ,like dog and without caming to bait gon!!!
Next days we decided to put blind more far and cut some bush for better visibility-second mistake pigs run away then sight modified area.
After two years Im back. First try in the area very close to coast of ocean,non stop nice noise of waves ,local farmer informed about 3!!! boars in bait every day ,just before hunting ,,reduced" 2boars and maybe 1 female. From 6PM to 9PM only waves, and moon in front. And 2 shadows appear head-on the bait of pure maize. But our blind below feedig place and in high gras I cant see warts , heads up -moon in face. After some time pigs run away and back decided to get bigger-female...
After some days farmer informed:bors back. Again close 2hours drive to ocean-empty!
Day before depart home camera on local bait pointed group -last chance!
5PM we on blind till 8 nothing ,and big porcupine appear, waiting till 9- only noise of porcupine eating maize. Marius said :enough to feed this. He pitch some stones to porcupine when she escape, call backie to pick us home... And in this noisy event group of buspigs come and started to eat!!! Marius was very busy to stop bakie, for me to find boar in group of four.Only big female and three smaller. Suddenly about 30meters behind bait I notice black spot it was one more bushpig. Quik can I shot and bang. Happened unthinkable big female slowly lie down and no moving ,offspring was standing around quietly. Marius was quiet and probably white from .After 2-3 minutes female revived and like nothing happened continue feeding with youngs!!!!
Marius run direction where was shot and with sad face made me nearly dead -next female...But in reality was dead on place nice RW tusks size BOAR.

We found this one one a live-catch trap set for other animals. “Shot” it with my camera and then it was otta there! Saw one other bushpig, that one was in Zimbabwe. We jumped him from behind a downed tree where he was probably sleeping. He departed much too quickly for a rifle shot, quickness reminded me of a giant quail.

073D682C-B98E-4F9B-9AF3-D9362198C87B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My son was successful in taking a bush pig on our safari this year in SA with Graham Jones. The neat trick they use there over bait is to hook up a tail light lamp in a tree limb near the bait to a small DC battery with wire run back to the blind. The theory is that it illuminates area just enough without spooking the pigs as they come to feed. That works as long as the baboons have not used the wire to swing from during the day so that when you arrive in the blind at dusk the light no longer works. Anyway, they were still successful with the old count to 3 and turn on the powerful flashlight as they heard them eat. 3 or 4 seconds of pandemonium ensued, but he managed to shoot a big sow, who swapped positions with the boar in the moments the light was turned on. Still an excellent trophy, and one that even Pops has not taken in seven African safaris. Still a great reason to go back though.
IMG_2525.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg