Reaction score
Media
Member of
SAHGCA,NHSA,SA Wingshooters
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia,Botswana
E2225ADB-7315-4256-B038-E6B30CF8AAB6.jpeg
AE9C8BCA-2CC9-46CE-9BD8-96EE16B746F8.jpeg

Swift Scirocco 270 win 130 gr reload at approximately 3050 fps. Black Wildebeest shot at 270m.
The bullet broke the near shoulder and penetrated through the vitals and was recovered under the skin on the opposite side. Weight retention was 118,7 gr, equating to 91%

shootist~

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
@Jon Glajchen
Thanks for posting. There is very little data available on the Swift Scirocco bullets.

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
They are a little soft for my taste, I even steer clear of the accubonds, though many people swear by them. I like Nosler Partitions for thin skinned game, A-Frames and TSX's for tougher game.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
I shot two black bears yesterday, troublemakers damaging stuff at my sister in laws cottage. I was shooting my Beretta double rifle, 9.3x74R, Norma Oryx 18.5G factory loads. Both young male 100 -120 KG bears were centre chest / heart shots from about 120M and 80 M. The effect of the shots were immediately apparent, both did a quick death dash into cover but for only a short distance. I could easily hear the sound of the impact in both cases. Both shots exited. The second bear ran into very thick cover and still moving slightly when I found him, so I put and insurance shot from behind, through mid-back severing the spine. This is the bullet, recovered from the skin at the base of the throat area. Very impressive, after going through all that spinal bone and the sternum. Double diameter expansion with 95% weight retention and good penetration. I like Oryx bullets!

fullsizeoutput_1e1f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1e22.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1e25.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

inkonkoni

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique
This was fired from my friend's .270 when he killed a black bear last week. It definitely was effective as the animal only took 1 step and then 'fell over like a tree' as he put it. Before the hunt he had asked me for suggestions for ammunition. I recommended something loaded with heavy, bonded bullets. These Sako Hammerheads fit that description. However I'm not impressed with how the bullet held together (or failed to, rather). It retained 30.8% of its weight. In the close up picture I was trying to show how it basically lost its core, with a small amount of lead still bound to the jacket. At the end of the day, it did result in a clean kill, but I don't believe I would recommend these on heavier game such as elk or moose.

View attachment 201380 View attachment 201381

This is quite shocking. In 2018 my brother and I Hunted the Umkomazi river valley.

I shot several Kudu and Impala with 180gn Sako Hammerhead bullets out of my 30-06.

Not a single one recovered even on some raking shots.

Perhaps at the shots being mostly 180m + the velocity was low enough to keep then together?

Very interesting though.

Shoot Straight!

Aussie_Hunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Calibre: 500 Jeffery
Type of bullet: Woodleigh RNSN Weldcore
Muzzle Velocity: 2380fps
Distance of shot: 20 metres
Impact Velocity: 2330fps
Original weight: 535 grains
Recovered weight: 506.8 grains (95%)
Expansion: Just over 1" (doubled original diameter)
Species: Brumby Stallion
Shot placement: Entry left hind quarter, recovered just under the skin behind right shoulder, around 1.5 metres of penetration, mind you I don't think the bullet encountered any solid bone in it's travels. Still extremely impressive penetration, expansion and weight retention for a projectile travelling well above its recommended impact velocity.

Recovered 535 grain Woodleigh.1.jpg
Recovered 535 grain Woodleigh.2.jpg
Recovered 535 grain Woodleigh.4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Have you ever tried the 275 PPSP in your Whelen? I'll be running the 225 ABs in my Ackley Whelen this year, but I'd like to try the 250s and 275s as well, just in case I ever decide to hunt something bigger. I did run some of the 310 RNs through it, and penetration is pretty amazing, but not something I need, for what I hunt.
@5shot
I only recover 2 bullets in Namibia. The 250 grain Hornaday roundnose left a golf ball size exit hole in my Oryx. The 250grain Woodleigh PPSP would be even better being bonded.
Bob

Latest profile posts

I’ll never hunt Africa, but give me please a Jack O’Connor hunt up high in the Canadian Rockies!
Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!