Bullet Performance Database

Can anyone help me with what make is this bullet. It's a factory second from MidwayUsa .458 500 grain. I don't have any further info at this point. View attachment 321352

Is this a reload??

Looks like a Bear Claw or Nosler Partion or perhaps a Hornady???

What is the head stamp on the nickel brass?

Is this a reload??

Looks like a Bear Claw or Nosler Partion or perhaps a Hornady???

What is the head stamp on the nickel brass?

It's a reload I made in Nosler brass. It's not a Nosler partition. I have a bunch of them staring at me. They are pointed.

That's what I was thinking too. Are they good bad or indifferent?
I believe all Interlocks have a cannelure. I cannot see one on you photo. Is there one?

Interlocks are not even bonded, so personally I wouldn’t use one on DG with the exceptions of lion or leopard. JMO&E

I believe all Interlocks have a cannelure. I cannot see one on you photo. Is there one?

Interlocks are not even bonded, so personally I wouldn’t use one on DG with the exceptions of lion or leopard. JMO&E
It has a cannelure. It's crimped there. Right into the front edge of the cannelure. I'm still revising my die settings and will have a hard crimp next round of loadings. Good to know more about the bullets.

The Interlocks pre-dated the Dangerous Game line of bullets. They’re not bonded. The only weight retention features they had was the Interlock band and a heavier jacket. Hornady has since dropped these from their line. I bought some 400 gr .416 and 500 gr .458 on close out and only use them for practice. For serious business it’s Barnes TSX or Swift A/F.

For comparison, attached is a photo of the Hornady .458 500 gr Interlock round nose bullet, #4504. flanked by a Speer 350 gr and a Swift 450 gr.
DSC_0639.JPG
DSC_0640.JPG

Sorry, I goofed in my previous reply. I checked and the 500 gr .458 Hornady bullets are Interbonds. Even at that, They still wouldn’t be my choice for DG.

Well now, that's a different bullet. There aren't any serrations on the leading edge of the jacket. I have eight serrations.

308win
Norma Vulkan
180grn
Advertised Muzzle Velocity 2612
Wild boar 60-70kg's (143lbs)
Pig was in a creek bed, shot taken from top of the creek bank shooting down at only about 30 yards, entry just below the spine, bullet found under the skin on the opposite shoulder. Rapid expansion and a massive amount of internal damage. Really impressed with the Norma Vulkan for a fast expanding bullet. Would absolutely recommend this offering from Norma especially for wild boar hunting.

Entry
upload_2020-2-15_7-39-57.png

Opposite Shoulder
upload_2020-2-15_7-40-53.png

Recovered bullet
upload_2020-2-15_7-41-41.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.