Bullet choices for .404 Jeffery

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
A question occurred to me about proper bullet selection for my .404J. I am loading 400 grain bullets primarily for use on Cape Buffalo. Looking at muzzle velocities of about 2250 to 2350 fps. My two choices for bullets are Woodleigh Weldcore 400 grain SN RN and Swift A Frame 400 grain bullets.

Studying recommended impact velocities and looking at the range of impact velocities at the MVs that I am loading for, it looks to me that the Swift A Frames will be well below optimal impact velocity at about 2000 to 2100 fps at 100 yards and they may not expend optimally. With the Woodleigh 400 grain Weldcores this owuld be the 'sweet spot' and I am led to expect their performance would, at these speeds, be superior to the Swift A Frames.

For those with experience with the caliber and bullets above, I'd like to know your opinions on performance in this application.

Thanks

Methinks you could be overthinking a bit here :p .423 cal A-Frames don't shot out of many guns other than Jeffs, so I think it's a strong assumption that the bullet is designed with the Jeff velocity in mind.

My Swifts recovered from buff shot with my 416 show textbook mushrooms. The velocities were not much higher than what you quoted above. I am certain the A-Frames will work as advertised in your 404 at those velocities.

Nothing wrong with the Weldcore - the A-Frame is just that bit more robust. Either will be fine if the bullet hits the right spot.

It would be worth talking to MME bullets in the UK

The gentleman who operates MME (Pete) is a very pleasant and knowledgeable chap who shoots a 404 Jeff himself (+340 Weatherby and 257 Roberts and some other interesting things...)

I've got some of his 404 bullets to try (400 gr "Plains game" type bullets) and he also makes some other versions.

As soon as I run out of inexpensive auction .404 Jeff ammo to shoot I will load some of his 404 bullets over N150 and report.

Scrummy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.43.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.43.30 PM.png
    529.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.43.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.43.31 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.43.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.43.33 PM.png
    592.6 KB · Views: 87
A question occurred to me about proper bullet selection for my .404J. I am loading 400 grain bullets primarily for use on Cape Buffalo. Looking at muzzle velocities of about 2250 to 2350 fps. My two choices for bullets are Woodleigh Weldcore 400 grain SN RN and Swift A Frame 400 grain bullets.

Studying recommended impact velocities and looking at the range of impact velocities at the MVs that I am loading for, it looks to me that the Swift A Frames will be well below optimal impact velocity at about 2000 to 2100 fps at 100 yards and they may not expend optimally. ...

Who shoots buffalo at a 100 yards? I would get closer, much closer. ;)

Well, maybe at the holding pens of RSA one would have that shot. ;)

My first question to an outfitter is whether we can get within 50 yards of whatever DG I am interested in hunting.

Well.maybe I AM overthinking this, but I have both bullets in adequate quantities and would prefer to make the best choice before I head to TZ. Thanks much for your sharing your experience.

I would think that the probable ranges are from 50 to 125 yards. In any case the bullet will not impact at more than the stated MV...

Swift A-frames are regularly used in nitro express cartridges at lower velocities and still expand just fine. I've used a lot of A-frames and Woodleighs across different calibres, both great bullets. If you are going specifically for buffalo use the A-frames having said this there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Woodleighs for buffalo either.

Who shoots buffalo at a 100 yards? ;)
I did, that's who. He was on one side of the airstrip, we were on the other. No cover on an airstrip so the only option was to pass or take the shot, I opted for the latter and glad I did.

3E4B5C47-23A5-40B7-90FD-CE522A18B346.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 404 Jeffery handloads shoot the 400gr Swift A-frames at about 2300fps. Included is a picture of a bullet recovered from a bison shot at 75yds. Also, I recovered a bullet from a frontal shot Cape Buffalo at a distance of about 40 yds. I could not tell any noticeable difference between the two bullets expansion. I will try to find the bullet from the Cape Buffalo for another comparison.

10E8452D-8CD0-465E-8A6F-831E977412E3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. I'm sold. I'll save the Woodleighs for another time. Thanks to you all.

Mike

I also endorse the A Frame (I suspect the Woodleigh would also be perfect at those velocities too). I used SAF on PG and buffalo at 2280fps MV and they did the job perfectly. This bullet recovered under the offside ribs of a BWB quartering to. View attachment 457201
Sorry, BWB?

Big, Wary Buffalo?
Big Water Buffalo?
B*stard W*nker Bushpig?
Bong Waving Bushbuck?
Bongo Waving Bongos?
Blimey, Warthog Bliksem?

Black Wildebeast, maybe?

RichieG, your recovered Swift A Frame looks exactly like the one I used on a large Eland at 85 Yds. I was using Von Gruff's accuracy load of 84 Gr. of H-4350 traveling at 2300 FPS. What load do you use?

RichieG, your recovered Swift A Frame looks exactly like the one I used on a large Eland at 85 Yds. I was using Von Gruff's accuracy load of 84 Gr. of H-4350 traveling at 2300 FPS. What load do you use?
Shootist thanks, yes good to hear it worked well on eland. I was using 82gr of H4350, had enough velocity at 2280fps and I got a good grouping using an RMR red dot. That’s 4 shots at 50m so I stopped there!
F94B3E23-AC11-4238-9BEC-C8B7107B31FB.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalPendley

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double