Buffalo Hunting in Australia

Down to 3 weeks!! Been back a few times here to watch Paul's video again..
Thanks again for posting, Paul!

Hey Scotty, I can sense your anticipation,
it's almost tangible and that, for me, is half of hunting !

You know, there's not a lot of money to be made working this industry but the reward in being present and hunting with guys like yourself that have the appreciation and respect for the hunt and the animals that is priceless.

I wish I was there with you.

Very best of hunting luck to you and all the boys, hope you all bag big ones at spitting distance off the ends of your double rifles.

Safe travel and straight shooting, make sure to drop in when you return, and share your results.
(you will have to excuse me for not reposnding upon your return as I will be in my hunting camp up until the end of Oct).

Cheers,

Paul.

P.S I sincerely hope that some of the information I have posted here has been of some assistance.

Paul
the info has been better here than anywhere else!! I certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide it.
Yes, I am hoping for a couple of BIG bulls at less than 20 paces while looking down the rib of the double!!

I'll be sure to let you know how we fare. I am really looking forward to this hunt.. Great friends, great guns, great bulls to chase, new sights, smells, foods, etc. It will be great.

Thanks again for all your help. Have a great season out there.. Fill us in on how ya do once you wrap up.

Well,nearly six months after Scott's post above, and at the request of a couple of others... I've tacked on here a very basic overview of our season;

early to mid season was both the coldest and wettest starts we've had to a hunting season.
Residual waters from last year's big Wet had kept everything full, there was water everywhere.

I arrived in camp with much work to do before I could get out and burn country, but the two local Ranger groups managed to get in some really good burns early on.

Once I was happy with camp we began getting out, putting in a series of burns throughout the area.
Coupled with the existing underground moisture, you could almost see the grass growing each day.
By the time the first of our hunters had arrived we hab substantial areas of re-growing burns, in remote country, covered in a blanket of fresh green grasses.

Needless to say that our hunters reaped the benifits and we were rewarded with some very fine hunting for some very fine bulls.

As our season progressed it started to warm up slowly but still some of my favourite areas remained inacessable until very late in the season.

Fishing this year was very difficult, cold overnight keeping the water too cool for the Barrumundi, we managed a few for the table though.

We were blessed with some very keen soles who were prepared to work hard and could shoot when you needed them to.

From the firearms perspective; this year was a mixture of wildcats and doubles as well as some bullet testing hunts.
An interesting mix ranging from the .500 B.P.E (1800's) shooting "Lynotype" bullets to the .475 B&M SS (2011 ? ) shooting pure brass projectiles.

Some great hunting memories with old freinds who have hunted with us before as well as our new freinds that hunted with us now.

A selection of pictures to follow.

Cheers,

Paul.

P9070354.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P7250201.jpg

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Looks like your hunters had a good time. No Pics w/ the last 2 attachments. Thats a hunt I'd like to do sometime. Bruce

Incredible trophies Paul!

Burned areas with fresh growth = hunting grounds :eyecrazy:

Great trophies, Paul, thanks for sharing !

Fantastic trophies Paul! Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank-you to all of the above for the very generous comments.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Very interesting buff you have there Paul.

I will email you about a hunt with you after I come back from Zim at then end of November. I would like to do something like Michael of B&M did.

Stan

Hi Paul,

I will email you about a hunt with you after I come back from Zim at then end of November. I would like to do something like Michael of B&M did.

Stan

hi stan what you going for in zim more elephants? :D also been trying to work out what your avatar photo is, the only thing it looks like to me is the back end of a carrera gt? :hmmmer: probably wrong ;)

Hi Spike,

Yep, you are right. I will be chasing for more elephants, both trophy and ration, a leopard, a couple of buffalo, a hippo, a croc and who knows.

You are right again, a Carrera GT. She is eight years old now. I have only put 1,900 miles on her.

Stan

Hi Paul,

Stan

By all means Stan you can contact me whenever it is convenient.

The very best of hunting luck to you for your Zim hunt,
travel safe and shoot straight,

Paul.

Thanks Paul. I will be in touch.

By the way, how do you like B&M rifle? I wish I can get one in Mauser M98 action with magazine.

Stan

Thanks Paul. I will be in touch.

By the way, how do you like B&M rifle? I wish I can get one in Mauser M98 action with magazine.

Stan

Stan, there is a thread in the big bore section, .375 +,
called "Ultimate Stopper".

In that thread I give some comments regarding my first season in the field with the .500 MDM Ultra mag and the rifle itself.

These SSK/A.I built rifles are tough, reliable, comfortable to carry and very comfortable to shoot.

By some margin the best rifle & cartridge combination I've used on buffalo.

Paul.

Hi Spike,

Yep, you are right. I will be chasing for more elephants, both trophy and ration, a leopard, a couple of buffalo, a hippo, a croc and who knows.

You are right again, a Carrera GT. She is eight years old now. I have only put 1,900 miles on her.

Stan

have a great time in zim. you forget how long the carrera has been out now, time flys too fast!! a great car. now let me see you like hunting, fishing, guns, boats and cars, this usually means an addiction to nice watches as well in my experience ;):beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg