Buffalo caliber advice

Mas Oyama is good, but he's no Chuck Norris.
That video WAS impressive, but I would have liked to see him doing that with a Cape Buffalo or maybe an American Bison or Australian Buffalo. He didn’t even need a crossbow! Another question since this thread has gotten completely out of control, but very FUN. Could/ would an American (or other country) bull rider attempt to ride a DE HORNED Cape Buffalo?

Come on, Pete, you know that real men hunt buffalo with a knife :D
what kind of scope should i put on my knife for the 300yd throw though? Its a bit of a dilemma, i dont want a red dot though, that fancy technology could fail in the heat of the moment...
I'm thinking min 3-20 zoom, possibly 50mm obj?
Got to have the 50mm for low light conditions...

Did I miss something? I thought Pete G was looking for a reason to purchase another rifle. I.E. something in between the calibers he mentioned. If I'm wrong please forgive me. But in the meantime I'm going to suggest a 404 Jeffery. Reason: just as effective but with a little less thump on the shoulder.

Did I miss something? I thought Pete G was looking for a reason to purchase another rifle. I.E. something in between the calibers he mentioned. If I'm wrong please forgive me. But in the meantime I'm going to suggest a 404 Jeffery. Reason: just as effective but with a little less thump on the shoulder.

No, this was meant as a humerous thread taking from the nonsense video that was posted of the buff shot with a crossbow and the follow up with the suppressed 30-06.
Now, whats your favourite? Slingshot, Scoped hunting knife or 30-06 with chewing gum bullets?:rolleyes:

Miss something....... Yup you were aiming in the opposite direction..... :E Rofl:

what kind of scope should i put on my knife for the 300yd throw though? Its a bit of a dilemma, i dont want a red dot though, that fancy technology could fail in the heat of the moment...
I'm thinking min 3-20 zoom, possibly 50mm obj?
Got to have the 50mm for low light conditions...

Scope is for sissies, Pete, this has to be close and personal.

Just the cold steel as we do in the bullfights :D

Could/ would an American (or other country) bull rider attempt to ride a DE HORNED Cape Buffalo?
Riding would be the easy part...getting off is another story.
Might I suggest having PH's for rodeo clowns!

Riding would be the easy part...getting off is another story.
Might I suggest having PH's for rodeo clowns!
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! That is GREAT!

Pete G was actually looking for a .465 h and h, but Pheroze couldn’t find him a single cartridge in that caliber, let alone a rifle! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I am in need of a bit of advice, recent events have shown my ignorance or lack of full understanding concerning appropriate calibers and rifles for buff hunting.

I was determined and dead set on using my 416rigby with peregrine 400gr copper expanding and brass solids for buff this year in luangwa.
However...
I have just learnt that I know jack sh*t and require the resourceful knowledge of the AH community to guide me in the right direction.

So now that I have deemed the 416 excess to requirements in terms of caliber and stopping power, which of the following two options would you guys recommend and once your caliber recommendation is given, what bullet choice would you use?
If there is a reasonable option other than the 2 calibers I have available, let me know your thoughts. I have until the end of October when the hunt is scheduled so that gives me at least till the day before to acquire the rifle and ammo. No need to worry about testing, I can always sight it I once I get to the valley.

Options are
1) 243 Springfield improved
2) 30-06 weatherby magnum
How did your hunt go? Which rifles did you decide to take?
-Langosta

How did your hunt go? Which rifles did you decide to take?
-Langosta
This was a few years ago, the hunt went well.
Got a buff and hippo, my dad got a hippo and some PG.
We both hunted the hippo on land in the thickets. Very exciting and quite a bit more dangerous than initially expected.
I hunted with my 416Rigby and my dad with his 458WM and 243Win.

This was a few years ago, the hunt went well.
Got a buff and hippo, my dad got a hippo and some PG.
We both hunted the hippo on land in the thickets. Very exciting and quite a bit more dangerous than initially expected.
I hunted with my 416Rigby and my dad with his 458WM and 243Win.
What , you did not use the blow dart with silencer. You Pansie :E Rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg