BRNO ZK vs CZ 550

It is! I admitted as such Tried it this weekend at a shoot, at least I am not pretentious and “fake” what I have in the safe. I always looked at others and had same opinion as you have, and still have it. It will go sooner than later
Hahahaha, you will get to like it in time it works when recycling fast but it an easy pull off if you want to.
I saw some of our shooters even having one on his .22 and he could easily recycle with his one hand without lifting his head due to the more grip on the rubber ball.

KimBuff.jpg

I am really not seeing an ugly bolt knob on my CZ550 458 Lott.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not the same. Will have to dig into my records but the older they are the better they are. Poldi special hammer forged barrels more attention to detail and better hand finishing.

The best ones are the ones with pop up peep site in the rear receiver and that have the flip down rear site to accommodate that. Some later ones have the pop up peep site but have fixed rear sight(they may have had actions left and no more barrels machined with the flio down rear sute).

Personally I prefer the ZKK actions by a long shot over 550

I have several ZKK rifles and I have handled a number of CZ550s. The action is essentially the same and many parts interchange. The ZKK was originally intended to be produced at Zbrojovka Brno however a Goverment decision caused it to instead be produced at the was produced at the Uherský Brod (CZ factory). The ZKK rifles crried the Zbrojovka Brno logo until they were replaced by the CZ550 series. There's a bit of debate whether that was due to a commercial agreement between Brno and CZ, or whether it was due to Government policy re rifles for commercial export. Irrespective, both series of rifles made made in the same plant on the same equipment.

The primary differences are:
i The safety has been re=engineered to reverse its direction of operation
ii. The trigger mechanism on the CZ550 was re-engineered to mount on the receiver body rather than the bottom metal.
iii. The stocks on most CZs that I've seen are much bulkier. I prefer the slimmer ZKK stock .

The pop-up peep sight is a great feature, but was not on every ZKK irrespective of manufacturing date. Some came with it, some without. In the US, Triple River Gunsmiths acted as a the CZ Custom Shop and would machine the CZ receiver and fit the sight.

In regard to the safety direction, I prefer the ZKK arrangement as its natural to flick the safety off as you bring the rifle to the shoulder from the carry. The CZ style is much better for shooting from the bench or a field hide. I think that either works well providing you practice it enough to make it automatic 'muscle memory'. However I would warn against owning both a CZ and a ZKK (own one or the other) as it will lead to confused muscle memory at the most critical of times.

It is! I admitted as such Tried it this weekend at a shoot, at least I am not pretentious and “fake” what I have in the safe. I always looked at others and had same opinion as you have, and still have it. It will go sooner than later
I see a lot of European shooters use these large knobs on driven hunts. Does it actually help with speed of reloading or is it to help prevent bolt slipping in the hand?

Hi saswart,

I have 2 ZKK with 10 years age difference: a ZKK600 in 9,3x62 made in 1967, esentially really the first year of full ZKK production, and a ZKK601 in .308 Win made in 1977. Both have the pop up peep sight and the barrel mounted front sling swivel.
There are noticeable differences in the fit and finish, both inside and outside!!! I bought the ZKK 601 308 Win new in 1979 and the very lightly used ZKK 600 9,3x62 in 2017.
From the start, I did some inside polishing and smoothing to the 308 to work properly. The 9,3x62 is allready finished properly at the factory. Very smooth, very well machined and polished, as I said inside and outside!!
Anyway, both shoot very well. The groups in the paper at the range were very good from the start.
I have seen ZKK from all ages imported here: late ´60, ´70, ´80 and ´90s.
The best fitted and finished, to me, are the very early ones, pre ´70s, and the very last ones, the CZ marked as yours.
I have little experience with the CZ 550, mostly with a .375 H&H from the 2000 and some. It was a friend´s rifle. I like the fit and finish, like those last ZKK-CZ marked, and that particular rifle shoots like a dream at the target, with the lowest sights spot on at 100 meters just out of the box!
"...it is all I can said about this..."

Good luck!

CF

In regard to the safety direction, I prefer the ZKK arrangement as its natural to flick the safety off as you bring the rifle to the shoulder from the carry. The CZ style is much better for shooting from the bench or a field hide. I think that either works well providing you practice it enough to make it automatic 'muscle memory'. However I would warn against owning both a CZ and a ZKK (own one or the other) as it will lead to confused muscle memory at the most critical of times.
Thanks for the info on the manufacturing of the Brno / CZ's.

Interesting comment on the safeties. I am still on the fence on which one I prefer if used. I actually prefer a non-loaded rifle when hunting and trail walking. Each has their positive, Brno (Forward safe), is similar to doubles and some shotguns), whereas the CZ (backward safe) one can argue is similar to the Winchester type safety, which one finds on Model 98's as well.

I agree 90% on similarity, so much so, that I have discussed the safety matter and converting both the CZ and Brno safety's to Winchester safety's with some members who are on this forum previously as well. It is a valid point that everyone should consider.

But the 10% that does not agree, is the gun lover in me. A lot of people have different FA's with different safety's. The ideal would probably be to have all FA's in same make (now I am thinking of the Blaser fan club), but for others they prefer may a CZ 416, a Heym 89B, a Mauser in 404, a Winchester Mod 70 in 375H&H etc. each with their own safety.

But agree 110%, whichever you take on the hunt, especially dangerous game, you should be well versed how the rifle works. You may be like me and not use a safety, but in the heat of the moment you may be asked to load and place on safety or whatever...
I see a lot of European shooters use these large knobs on driven hunts. Does it actually help with speed of reloading or is it to help prevent bolt slipping in the hand?
Frederik would be better placed to answer this one. I have only used it once, the reason I am trying it is for these exact reasons which other people have recommended it...

It works great and it makes it easier as you can use your palm of your hand putting more force into lifting the bolt and pulling it way back (important on a magnum action) and then pushing it forward. Using your palm with same force and speed will actually hurt the palm with naked steel bolt when doing it fats and hard.

Now when hunting you will not mind the pain but when doing it 10 or more times on our BASA ranges in a small amount of time it does make a difference.

Palm cycling is how I work all my bolt actions and always from the shoulder with cheek on the stock.

Reactions: IvW
Re working the bolt and safety's. I will go back to the SMLE, as this was my training and i still see no justifiable reason to change.

Use your trigger finger to pull it back so it is on, use thumb to push forward so it is off and ready to shoot. However as most rifles have the safety on the right hand side using the trigger finger to move safety off is easier.

Use thumb and trigger finger to cycle bolt while rifle is at shoulder. With the position of the bolt knob on SMLE and P14/M17 is positioned directly above the trigger finger when on trigger. So when bolt pushed forward and round chambered the trigger finger comes straight down to bolt. This is the fastest and easiest way to work the bolt. Of course in battle these rifles were held at shoulder by no master hand, thumb and trigger finger on bolt and as bolt closed the grip is maintained on the bolt and the middle finger used to fire the rifle.

Palming a bolt is slower than the above method, the hand moves further, does more work and if the cartridge fires before bolt locked up (extremely unlikely) using the palm means you lose your hand instead of just thumb and finger. Mind you may well loose part of face, eye etc. Pros and cons to all methods.

Palming a bolt is slower than the above method, the hand moves further, does more work and if the cartridge fires before bolt locked up (extremely unlikely) using the palm means you lose your hand instead of just thumb and finger. Mind you may well loose part of face, eye etc. Pros and cons to all methods.

I don't know if I could agree with you if you watch below. @DWB in action below with his 450Rigby and 500gr bullets.

I don't know if I could agree with you if you watch below. @DWB in action below with his 450Rigby and 500gr bullets.

A well practiced technique is probably the fasted and it changes between firearms to.

He's faster than me but the technique works for him.

I believe what @Rule 303 says works for him as it what he was drilled in and he is comfortable with the technique.

I'm not even sure how I look taking a follow up as I'm not trained in any particular technique and I don't have a practice regime. How I shoot over the bench, from the car or standing are likely different. One thing is having a few Tikkas I am probably familiar with the bolt throw and action.
Moving over to my CZ550 I would need practice and familiarisation if I was going after anything bigger than me.

He is quick but if you watch closely you will see it demonstrates what I said. Look how much quicker he would be if thumb and fore finger used. His hand would not be moving away from the rifle as it does in that video. Yes if you have a sticky/stiff bolt the palm can apply more force. But even the P14/M17 with a stiffish cock on close is still quicker with trigger finger and thumb.

As CBH said it does come back to practice, whichever technique you use. The thumb and trigger finger worked well for Commonwealth troops in more than one war.

I have a few ZKK600 & 601, don't have any 602's at the moment but used a lot of them in both .375H&H & .458Win, I think too heavy in .375 & a little long in standard .458Win, hence me fitting a ZKK602 458Win barrel to a ZKK600 action.

Used lots of CZ550's to from .375 .416 Rigby .458Lott & .500Jeffery, good fit in .458Lott & .500 Jeffery. currently have a as new CZ550 in .375H&H, stock is way chunky & too heavy but sure is mild to shoot.

I prefer the ZKK600-602 myself but the CZ550 is fine for Client hunters .

The early ZKK line in the mid-late 60's is far superior in the fit & finish to the later rifles.

I used the later 1977 action for my .458 as it is slightly heavier & I had a peep sight to fit it but not the early 1966 action which takes a two spring peep sight.

You can see the difference here on the side wall from the 1966 to the 1977 action
Very Early Brno ZKK 600 30-06.jpg
Very Early Brno ZKK 600 30-06 -.jpg

The 1977 ZKK600 action with 1984 ZKK602 .458Win barrel
later Brno ZKK600 I rebarreled to .458Win with ZKK602 barrel .jpg

He is quick but if you watch closely you will see it demonstrates what I said. Look how much quicker he would be if thumb and fore finger used. His hand would not be moving away from the rifle as it does in that video. Yes if you have a sticky/stiff bolt the palm can apply more force. But even the P14/M17 with a stiffish cock on close is still quicker with trigger finger and thumb.

As CBH said it does come back to practice, whichever technique you use. The thumb and trigger finger worked well for Commonwealth troops in more than one war.

With Tongue in cheek I dare you to do a video showing its quicker and still be accurate not just firing?

:LOL:

@Rule 303 thanks for the compliment, but hey, you do realize the is 6000ft/lb out the muzzle of that gun and not a 174gr bullet traveling at the same speed :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Why we got to the open palm discussion was because people talked about short stroking and I gave a whole description as to why this works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.