Bring or Rent?

As an addendum............many countries (most?) preclude taking ammo for a rifle that you do not bring into the country. I used to take extra ammo in other calibers...but that is no longer allowed where I hunt.........you will need to use the PH's ammo too...FWB

There is always a "if" in the equation for a lot of us that scrimp and save for the first trip.

I would love to go back but for some reason finances always get in the way.

That's what I thought before my first safari. I'd see what it was like and "IF" I liked it I might go back. I'm leaving 12 April for my third one. Once you've been you are hooked. There is no if and come hell or high water you will find a way to go again.

I went on my first trip last year and took my own rifle, never even thought about renting one. It was a pain going to get 4457 and I did pre approval with Riflepermits. Heading back in 60 days for second trip(yes I got hooked) taking two rifles and bow. I had to gi get new 4457 because they have to be dated in year you are going according to Riflepermits. It is a 125 mile round trip for me to get to nearest Customs to get it. I wanted to take my guns that I am comfortable with and ammo that is top quality.

If I were to ever hunt in NZ again I would most definitely rent. Traveling from NY to LA was ok but once in LA you have to take a shuttle bus to the next terminal and recheck the guns...big hassle. To Africa I am and will recommend you bring your own gun. You know how it shoots and handles.

I'd consider renting but I doubt many outfits have a LH rifle.

I'd consider renting but I doubt many outfits have a LH rifle.
I'm a lefty and I used a right handed bolt action easy. Craig Boddington is left handed and uses right handed rifles all the time. Cycling the bolt isn't a big deal, especially on sticks. The bigger concern to me is the safety if not an ambidextrous tang safety. So, I contacted my outfitter, learned what rifles are used and asked around to borrow one and get used to it. All good. A little practice goes a long way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois