Bring or Rent?

As an addendum............many countries (most?) preclude taking ammo for a rifle that you do not bring into the country. I used to take extra ammo in other calibers...but that is no longer allowed where I hunt.........you will need to use the PH's ammo too...FWB
 
There is always a "if" in the equation for a lot of us that scrimp and save for the first trip.

I would love to go back but for some reason finances always get in the way.

That's what I thought before my first safari. I'd see what it was like and "IF" I liked it I might go back. I'm leaving 12 April for my third one. Once you've been you are hooked. There is no if and come hell or high water you will find a way to go again.
 
I went on my first trip last year and took my own rifle, never even thought about renting one. It was a pain going to get 4457 and I did pre approval with Riflepermits. Heading back in 60 days for second trip(yes I got hooked) taking two rifles and bow. I had to gi get new 4457 because they have to be dated in year you are going according to Riflepermits. It is a 125 mile round trip for me to get to nearest Customs to get it. I wanted to take my guns that I am comfortable with and ammo that is top quality.
 
If I were to ever hunt in NZ again I would most definitely rent. Traveling from NY to LA was ok but once in LA you have to take a shuttle bus to the next terminal and recheck the guns...big hassle. To Africa I am and will recommend you bring your own gun. You know how it shoots and handles.
 
I'd consider renting but I doubt many outfits have a LH rifle.
 
I'd consider renting but I doubt many outfits have a LH rifle.
I'm a lefty and I used a right handed bolt action easy. Craig Boddington is left handed and uses right handed rifles all the time. Cycling the bolt isn't a big deal, especially on sticks. The bigger concern to me is the safety if not an ambidextrous tang safety. So, I contacted my outfitter, learned what rifles are used and asked around to borrow one and get used to it. All good. A little practice goes a long way.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,426
Messages
1,575,907
Members
170,468
Latest member
RooseveltD
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top