Gun Storage??

Ray B

AH ambassador
Joined
Aug 19, 2016
Messages
5,462
Reaction score
9,493
Location
WA St, USA
Media
81
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
1
I see high dollar SxS guns and rifles in cloth lined hard cases. Are these cases the preferred long duration storage? Or are the guns better suited is removed from the cases, assembled and placed muzzle down in a humidity controlled gun safe?
 
I've wondered the same. It seems like the latter, but tuning in for the more experienced opinion.....
 
I would not store long term in a cloth case. Mine are either stored upright in a safe or for most break action guns stored disassembled in a horizontal state. Muzzle down is the 100% best practice but if you make sure your guns don't have oil on them muzzle up is ok for fairly long periods of time.
 
All my blued guns are stored with a coat of Renaissance wax and in a humidity controlled safe .
 
My guns sit muzzle up in a metal gunsafe- lightly oiled because of rust. I have a jar with silica gel to try and reduce humidity or at least control it. Before the silca gelz, I had a small area of rust develop between the floorplate and stock.
 
My way.

Metal gun locker.
Muzzle up.
Slightly oiled.
Silicagel in safe.
Air conditiomed room

Special air drying procedure, in case of need.
Put a light bulb in gun locker switched on.
It will heat and dry the air.
It does not need to be 24/7 on
 
Muzzle-down in humidity controlled safe. Muzzle-down accomplishes two things; 1) protective coating oils drain out instead of into action, and 2) long term rifle weight kept off of deforming soft recoil pads. Of course a metal or hard plastic recoil plate is not deformed over time under a dead-load.
 
No, cloth-lined hard cases are for transport, not long-term storage. For high-dollar SxS guns and rifles, a humidity-controlled safe is far better.
 
Having the metal in contact with cloth is bad, so standing in the gun safe seems the best long-term system- But having the gun "upside-down" is not a stable arrangement. Is there any system where the gun is upright but the weight is held elsewhere from the butt?
 
Horizontal seems better than muzzle down.
 
Having the metal in contact with cloth is bad, so standing in the gun safe seems the best long-term system- But having the gun "upside-down" is not a stable arrangement. Is there any system where the gun is upright but the weight is held elsewhere from the butt?
I use the silicone gun socks and turn them inside out and a light spray of Balistol then turn back and insert rifle; synthetic rifles I skip Balistol.
I also have a moisture absorption brick that I can plug in to dry out.
What is the arrangement in a gun safe that is 30" wide?
I’ve always thought a safe in the format of the large snapon tool chest with drawers on ball bearings would be ideal.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,439
Messages
1,576,354
Members
170,552
Latest member
allamerican37
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top