Brass Headstamp Conundrum...

sandman0921

AH enthusiast
Joined
Dec 13, 2014
Messages
418
Reaction score
661
Location
Tennessee, USA
Media
2
Articles
11
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
1
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
Hopefully this is in the correct forum....

I am set to hunt Tanzania this August and will be hunting for Cape Buffalo and Leopard as the primary animals, and also hope to take a Sable and a few other plains game. I am planning on taking my AHR 9.3x62 for leopard and plains game/bait animals, as well as my AGR 404 Jeffery for Cape Buffalo. My issue is with the 404 Jeffery and the brass I will be using.

My rifle’s barrel engraving reads 404 Jeffery, but the Norma brass I hand-load reads 404 Rimless N.E. (which is the other name the 404 Jeffery is named). My question, for those in the know, is two-fold.

1) Is this potentially a problem (when the barrel engraving doesn’t say exactly the same thing, even though it is)?

2) Should I put the cartridge as 404 Jeffery (with 404 Rimless Nitro Express), or vice-versa. ,on my 4457’s?

3) Ditto for the TZ gun permits. Is it OK to have the cartridge designation on the barrel be different that the headstamp on the brass?

Thanks so much in advance for your help
 
Never been to Tanzania but if I understand correctly it will have to be stamped same as the barrel. Same issue with the 7mm Mauser/Rigby cartridge.
 
Both are indeed supposed to match. And truth in lending, I have not been to Tanzania. However since both cartridge and rifle have .404 on them, you would have been fine on any other entry I have made - to include the one time I was checked - I read off the round to Inspector Perot. Putting both designations on the 4457 would not be a bad idea should you end up in a detailed conversation with a security type who would notice, but I would be stunned if someone made an issue of the difference. In comparison, I would not try it with a .275 rifle and 7x57 ammunition.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,231
Members
169,975
Latest member
DFFSFSF2026
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top