sandman0921

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
Hopefully this is in the correct forum....

I am set to hunt Tanzania this August and will be hunting for Cape Buffalo and Leopard as the primary animals, and also hope to take a Sable and a few other plains game. I am planning on taking my AHR 9.3x62 for leopard and plains game/bait animals, as well as my AGR 404 Jeffery for Cape Buffalo. My issue is with the 404 Jeffery and the brass I will be using.

My rifle’s barrel engraving reads 404 Jeffery, but the Norma brass I hand-load reads 404 Rimless N.E. (which is the other name the 404 Jeffery is named). My question, for those in the know, is two-fold.

1) Is this potentially a problem (when the barrel engraving doesn’t say exactly the same thing, even though it is)?

2) Should I put the cartridge as 404 Jeffery (with 404 Rimless Nitro Express), or vice-versa. ,on my 4457’s?

3) Ditto for the TZ gun permits. Is it OK to have the cartridge designation on the barrel be different that the headstamp on the brass?

Thanks so much in advance for your help

Never been to Tanzania but if I understand correctly it will have to be stamped same as the barrel. Same issue with the 7mm Mauser/Rigby cartridge.

Both are indeed supposed to match. And truth in lending, I have not been to Tanzania. However since both cartridge and rifle have .404 on them, you would have been fine on any other entry I have made - to include the one time I was checked - I read off the round to Inspector Perot. Putting both designations on the 4457 would not be a bad idea should you end up in a detailed conversation with a security type who would notice, but I would be stunned if someone made an issue of the difference. In comparison, I would not try it with a .275 rifle and 7x57 ammunition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg