Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
Hopefully this is in the correct forum....

I am set to hunt Tanzania this August and will be hunting for Cape Buffalo and Leopard as the primary animals, and also hope to take a Sable and a few other plains game. I am planning on taking my AHR 9.3x62 for leopard and plains game/bait animals, as well as my AGR 404 Jeffery for Cape Buffalo. My issue is with the 404 Jeffery and the brass I will be using.

My rifle’s barrel engraving reads 404 Jeffery, but the Norma brass I hand-load reads 404 Rimless N.E. (which is the other name the 404 Jeffery is named). My question, for those in the know, is two-fold.

1) Is this potentially a problem (when the barrel engraving doesn’t say exactly the same thing, even though it is)?

2) Should I put the cartridge as 404 Jeffery (with 404 Rimless Nitro Express), or vice-versa. ,on my 4457’s?

3) Ditto for the TZ gun permits. Is it OK to have the cartridge designation on the barrel be different that the headstamp on the brass?

Thanks so much in advance for your help

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Never been to Tanzania but if I understand correctly it will have to be stamped same as the barrel. Same issue with the 7mm Mauser/Rigby cartridge.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Both are indeed supposed to match. And truth in lending, I have not been to Tanzania. However since both cartridge and rifle have .404 on them, you would have been fine on any other entry I have made - to include the one time I was checked - I read off the round to Inspector Perot. Putting both designations on the 4457 would not be a bad idea should you end up in a detailed conversation with a security type who would notice, but I would be stunned if someone made an issue of the difference. In comparison, I would not try it with a .275 rifle and 7x57 ammunition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mynews742

Latest profile posts

gprippers wrote on Tucketed's profile.
Hello, saw that you want the Jeffries brass. So you an either send a USPS money order or paypal i guess, which ever works for you is fine with me at this point. If you want to us Paypal use [redacted] friends and family and dont mention gun stuff at all or they will go bananas! LOL!

Let me know what you want to do.
Thanks,
Rob
Cowboy wrote on MBIZI SAFARIS's profile.
Good afternoon, please send me a list of pricing for 2022.
NTH wrote on JimT's profile.
Hey Jim, I read that you’re from Dequincey and just returned from Africa. I’m from Lake Charles and went there in April. What outfitter did you use and would you share your experience and pics? I won our trip to Kuche through DU.
gprippers wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello! Nice rifle! I have IDENTICAL rifle in 375 H&H so i was wondering what gunsmith did the work on it? Appreciate it and if you decide there is anything you are willing to take in partial trade, let me know. I have quite a few pistols, long guns and sxs & o/u shotguns as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks,
Rob
Bearhunter46 wrote on Philip Glass's profile.
Philip, do you still have the 416 for sale?