BOTSWANA: Elephant Hunt With Johan Calitz Safaris In June 2021

Awesome! Congrats on a great bull!!!

Back feet worn smooth.
D2A1133A-5A54-429D-BB1B-884B158D82B2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fabulous bull. Good follow up.

Congratulations Scott!

The day after we got the bull, we drove over to the main camp that Johan has rebuilt and picked up the ivory from the skinners. We decided to hunt some franklin, guinea fowl and doves. Ronnie and Johan also made a call to a rancher a couple hours south of Maun named Herman Nienaber, owner of the Kgabu Ranch, to see if he could help me get a nice gemsbok. Since I got the ele early enough to get home before Father’s Day, I only had one and a half days to hunt a gemsbok. Herman thought we had a worthwhile chance to get a gemsbok if we hunted hard and had some luck. I got this 39” gemsbok with an hour and a half to spare after a few blown stalks. The ranch is 18,000 acres and very thick. I shot it with softs with the Lott at 100 yards. Shot through a bush that covered the vitals by imagining where the body was located. Figured the Lott would punch through. It did and the gemsbok dropped.
6BBC3EC9-5596-4CDE-989F-FAACBE3E5E88.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Congratulations! It is good to know you were able to focus on the one you really wanted, hard to pass those 50 -60 lb elephants. Amazing how a good P.H. and trackers can estimate ivory "on the hoof".

Excellent hunt and great report! I love that part of Bots!

The day after we got the bull, we drove over to the main camp that Johan has rebuilt and picked up the ivory from the skinners. We decided to hunt some franklin, guinea fowl and doves. Ronnie and Johan also made a call to a rancher a couple hours south of Maun named Herman Nienaber, owner of the Kgabu Ranch, to see if he could help me get a nice gemsbok. Since I got the ele early enough to get home before Father’s Day, I only had one and a half days to hunt a gemsbok. Herman thought we had a worthwhile chance to get a gemsbok if we hunted hard and had some luck. I got this 39” gemsbok with an hour and a half to spare after a few blown stalks. The ranch is 18,000 acres and very thick. I shot it with softs with the Lott at 100 yards. Shot through a bush that covered the vitals by imagining where the body was located. Figured the Lott would punch through. It did and the gemsbok dropped.

Herman and Steinie are awesome! We had a great hunt on their place a few years ago. You are making me very jealous!

Herman and Steinie are awesome! We had a great hunt on their place a few years ago. You are making me very jealous!
Yes! Great people.
0605AB59-54C5-47FA-A1B4-37F76518DE12.jpeg

Excellent right up! Congratulations on a great bull!!!

Congrats, great ele!

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Means a lot coming from y’all. Really does.

Really well written narrative of a hunt worth telling. Thanks so much for including us. :A Way To Go: I occasionally pull up that clip of that lion charge. Waiting long enough to be sure - and then getting bowled over by a dead on its feet cat bigger than an NFL lineman - takes a pair. Though, I am pretty sure it was a carefully aimed and timed shot from the kneeling position rather than from "the hip" as claimed by the narrator.

COWABUNGA! What an awesome hunt and well written report. It put me right there with you. Congrats on the elephant and oryx. To just see that much game would be worth the trip. After the rifle kerfuffle, glad it all came together for you. Thanks for the report and the photos.

Heck of a gemsbok! Congrats on the hunt and thanks for sharing!

Very well written, enjoyed reading your about your adventure. Great elephant! I can imagine the high level of anxiety in seeing the rod missing and no lock on your rifle case... thank you for taking the time to tell your story.

Congratulations on a fantastic hunt. Enjoyed the write up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.