Borrowing Firearms

My boss has a great policy when it comes to "camp" guns or "rentals", whatever you want to call them. He set's aside funds every year to purchase client rifles of appropriate caliber and quality optics. After a couple of years he offers them up for sale to the guides and foresters, keeping his armory full of relatively new firearms. With resale money added to the state money every two or three years the new guns are continually being upgraded. That keeps higher end guns in our clients hands and makes them more attractive as resales to us as well.

good policy

My boss has a great policy when it comes to "camp" guns or "rentals", whatever you want to call them. He set's aside funds every year to purchase client rifles of appropriate caliber and quality optics. After a couple of years he offers them up for sale to the guides and foresters, keeping his armory full of relatively new firearms. With resale money added to the state money every two or three years the new guns are continually being upgraded. That keeps higher end guns in our clients hands and makes them more attractive as resales to us as well.

If a country wants to make it hard for me to travel with my firearms, I'll just spend my money elsewhere. In two trips to Namibia, the hardest part has been the initial check in in the USA. You'd think USAir has never transported a firearm. I don't have much choice about departing from the US, but I'll choose another airline in the future.

I like my weapons the way I like them, built for me and with the optics of my choosing. It isn't that I won't or can't use someone else's rifle, but a simple matter of when I am on my leisure time, I spend my money to have a good time, not a hassle. If African Country A wants to make it hard, there is always country B or C. By the time C has gotten ridiculous, A will have had a regime change janyway.

Exactly!

Great idea!

I have rented once in RSA. $100 US for a 7 day hunt. The rifle was a quality firearm with swarovsky optics and shot well. I also borrowed a rifle to hunt in Zim one time . the rifle was a CZ550 in .375 and shot very well. The reason I chose to use someone elses rifle was that I was traveling on Air Canada (we are not happy until you are not happy). They have a handleing charge of $75 each time your gun is loaded or unloaded from an airplane. With 3 conections each way , it was getting a little expensive. I traveled Air Canada as this is the designated airline for my reward miles. I would not choose them otherwise.
The coments about airlines and countries and taking our business elsewhere are profound. Free choise and capitalism work.
Great topic Kelly thanks for the chance to talk and think about such things. I hope your hunt in Texas goes well. I hope to get there to hunt Audad in the coming year.
Cheers, Mike

I've carried firearms into Mexico, South Africa, and Canada. I got so tired of the hassles (at length interrogation, paperwork, fees) getting into Canada I quit going hunting there. Going into SA was a snap compared to Canada. Checking the guns in at the airport when leaving for SA went fine especially considering the ultra liberal environment in Seattle.

When In SA I also used a "camp gun" for a couple of days. The rifle was quality as well as the ammo. The cost minimal in comparison to the entire trip.

My greatest fear of taking my guns out of country is damage , we went to scotland a few years back and my friend was was picking his gun up at heathrow and it was smashed and the case had Killer scratched into it . I think useing a camp gun is going to become common practice

FIREARMS RENTAL - KOWAS HUNTING SAFARIS

Outfitters usually have firearms available for rental, as the last resort.

After all has said and done, only YOU as the HUNTER can decide on the following questions:

1. Are you prepared to compromise the preparation spend in time and money practising on the shooting range with your own rifle?

2. Is it really the big a deal to travel with your own rifle if you have had taken care of all the necessary paperwork?

We wish you happy hunting and straight shooting from Namibia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mchahine

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,