Boer or Brit?

What caliber to choose?

• .303 British

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • 7x57 Mauser

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Take your .450/400 3" or you will die!

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway, Finland
I am prepairing for my next trip to South Africa in May.
I intend to hunt some plains game in the bushfelt, next to Thabazimbi.
Oryx, waterbuck and hartebeest is on the list.
Perhaps a leopard....if I can get a permit.
I want to hunt with a single shot and a "very South African" cartridge.
Ruger #1 Sporter in .303 British with 215 gr Woodleigh SPRN, or #1 International in 7x57 Mauser with Hornady 175 gr SPRN.
Both rifles wear a 5-15x42 Zeiss Diavari.
Now, what to choose?
20240106_215504.jpg

HWL

I want to do a Ruger Number One Safari one day.

I have a pair of Bodington Number Ones, a 7x57 and a 450/400.

I figure these two will do most anything needed.

I think you should take the 303 and the 7x57.

Let them take turns hunting.

When I was growing up in the Bushveld, not far from Thabazimbi, the .303 was viewed as an inferior cartridge. It's probably because those of us who hunted with them used old Lee-Enfield Mark 3 or 4 rifles, poorly mounted scopes and ancient military hardball ammo. (and it was viewed as English, and, therefore, must be inferior). It's amazing how far a Warthog can go after a well-placed shoulder shot if shot with a non-expanding round. A friend whose father was far more affluent than mine used a Mauser 7x57. I greatly envied that rifle! I could not get 215-grain ammo in those days, and the Woodleighs would have been far above my budget even if I could. I think a .303 Brit with 215-grain bullets is superior in the Bushveld. But if I were you, I'd still use the 7x57, just because you are German, and the Germans were one of our few friends during the Boer war...
Depending on the farm, you might have to take a longer shot on the Oryx and Hartbees, and the 303 shoots like a rainbow (that's what my friends called my gun). If I were you, I'd ask the PH how dense the Bush will be. It depends on the farm, as well the previous rainfall season. If the Bush is thick, I'd go for the 303. If the farmer has invested a huge amount of money and did some bush clearing I think I'd go for the 7x57.

I have done a lot of hunting with a custom Ruger No.1 in 7x57 near Thabazimbi on a family farm. The bush is thick so no need for high magnification scopes.
IMG_0367.JPG

If I could choose one place to spend the rest of my days it would be there. There is something special about the dry river bed snaking between the giant monkey thorn trees with kudu picking up seed pods in between.

7x57mm Mauser
IMG_2303.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg
IMG_2307.jpeg
IMG_2751.jpeg
IMG_2749.jpeg
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg

.303 British
IMG_2353.jpeg

IMG_2519.jpeg
IMG_2520.jpeg
IMG_2527.jpeg
IMG_2533.jpeg
IMG_2534.jpeg

You honestly can’t go wrong with either. In my personal experience, the 7x57mm Mauser has always been more accurate than the .303 British. But I’m well aware that this is only because my 7x57mm Mauser is a properly built sporting rifle (a Churchill Gunmakers Model Deluxe) which I have been using with proper sporting ammunition. By contrast, all of the .303 British rifles which I have used during my wartime service and also during my water buffalo culling days for the Ministry of Forests… were government issue Lee Enfields with army surplus 174Gr gilding metal jacketed military ball ammunition. If I was using a properly built sporting rifle in this caliber, along with proper sporting ammunition… then, I have absolutely zero doubt that the .303 British would also prove to be immensely accurate.

I have used the 7x57mm Mauser (loaded with 175Gr Winchester Super X soft points) to even take the largest of bull eland with perfectly placed shots to the heart-lung region through the soft region behind the shoulder. It works, but shot placement is extremely critical. A .30-06 Springfield loaded with 220Gr bullets (such as Remington Core Lokts or Sako Hammerheads) is more forgiving. So by this approximation, I‘d say that the .303 British loaded with proper 215Gr expanding bullets would perform slightly better on eland than a 7x57mm Mauser and 175Gr expanding bullets.

From a nostalgic point of view… it all depends on who you are inspired by in the field. Would you like to pay homage to your proud German heritage by choosing Paul Mauser’s 131 year old marvel of a cartridge ? Or would you like to take inspiration from the likes of British heroes such as F.C Sealous and his Holland & Holland fall-block rifle in .303 British ?

Like I said, you honestly can’t go wrong with either.

Last edited:
A Stutzen is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer and nothing else. That's why I am immediately ruling out the pictured hybrid from Ruger.

For this reason only the other rifle is left, meant the Ruger #1 Sporter in .303 British with 215 gr Woodleigh SPRN, a rifle that is more in the line of the Farquharson rifles that were used in Africa in the past. Remember the famous picture of F.C. Selous with his rifle from Gibbs. The cartridge 303 British also has a certain flair in this countries of Afrika that you should also take into account. Sure, given our cultural background, we would rather support the Boers, but let's forget these old disputes.

Selous-Rifle-And-Bustards.jpg

I have done a lot of hunting with a custom Ruger No.1 in 7x57 near Thabazimbi on a family farm. The bush is thick so no need for high magnification scopes. View attachment 578953

If I could choose one place to spend the rest of my days it would be there. There is something special about the dry river bed snaking between the giant monkey thorn trees with kudu picking up seed pods in between.
Love this and thinking about exactly this....
Only the political situation keeps me away from doing it permanently.
Have been there three times, love the countryside and the friendly people....

HWL

As long as it is with a Ruger No1 either will do, but I like the idea of the .303, it just sounds right.
I will hopefully be doing a gemsbok and springbok hunt in the north west cape later this year with my new 30-06 Ruger No1 “Hanga”. It’s first blood was a guineafowl that we had smoked as a starter on Christmas day (with smoked francolin, which was it’s second blood!)

I want to do a Ruger Number One Safari one day.

I have a pair of Bodington Number Ones, a 7x57 and a 450/400.

I figure these two will do most anything needed.

I think you should take the 303 and the 7x57.

Let them take turns hunting.

A Stutzen is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer and nothing else. That's why I am immediately ruling out the pictured hybrid from Ruger.

For this reason only the other rifle is left, meant the Ruger #1 Sporter in .303 British with 215 gr Woodleigh SPRN, a rifle that is more in the line of the Farquharson rifles that were used in Africa in the past. Remember the famous picture of F.C. Selous with his rifle from Gibbs. The cartridge 303 British also has a certain flair in this countries of Afrika that you should also take into account. Sure, given our cultural background, we would rather support the Boers, but let's forget these old disputes.

View attachment 578969
Dear Florian....
You know, I also can do in "Mannlicher-Schoenauer Stutzen", but I want to give the .303 a real chance in a compareable rifle.
I think, the .303 is underrated, not because it is a bad cartridge, but it came in a marginal (at its best) rifle with an unsuitable bullet.
In an acceptable rifle with a good bullet, it should perform much better.

HWL

As long as it is with a Ruger No1 either will do, but I like the idea of the .303, it just sounds right.
I will hopefully be doing a gemsbok and springbok hunt in the north west cape later this year with my new 30-06 Ruger No1 “Hanga”. It’s first blood was a guineafowl that we had smoked as a starter on Christmas day (with smoked francolin, which was it’s second blood!)
I can help you with some 12ga ammo if you need.......

I would use whichever rifle is the most accurate with the loads you intend to use.

Both get high marks from an ambiance perspective, so I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I sure like the idea of stalking around the bushveld with that 7x57 and it's 175's, so that rig gets my vote. Regardless of decision, it's a no lose proposition in my book!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighFa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you