Bobcat nose

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
This mount has absolutely been driving me crazy for a couple years.

The nose had a small growth on it and when tanning it shrunk to about 1/8" by 1/8". Thickness is very shallow, probably 1/16". My taxidermist felt this was as good as she could get it, but it drives me . The taxidermist is on permanent close following the birth of her child.

Is there anything that can be done to make this less apparent? I don't know if that excess skin can be filed and repainted??? Or if that is a terrible idea...

Any thoughts? I know its the way the cat was when alive but this is otherwise a perfect cat and spectactular mount.

Thanks
20200913_203313.jpg

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I have something like that on my nose....got careless with the razor and it healed poorly! :)

I will watch this thread to see if I get any hints for self-plastic surgery. lol

Randy F

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
I'm not sure I would've given it a second thought if you hadn't pointed it out.
Personally, I think anomalies like that make the mount even more unique. Was that growth a scar from an injury maybe? I would be concerned that any further repair might make it even more obvious.
Anyway, this is the right place to find out if something can be done. I'll be interested to see.
If not I think the mount looks pretty darn cool regardless.
Good luck!

Trogon

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DU, RGS/AWS, NRA
Hunted
KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX
I agree with @Randy F, if the growth was there it actually makes it a little different. And if you had posted your photo without pointing it out, I doubt I would have noticed, looks more like a scar. That's a really good-looking cat mount. Eyes make it look alive. Please post a photo of the whole mount.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
The nose would be easily fixed by any decent taxidermist. I've fixed a lot worse!

Cam Moon

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I like it the way it is. You said that's how it looked when it was alive? Taxidermy let's it live on in a way. Let it "live" the same as it was. I think that keeping as many abnormalities as possible is best. Each animal has it's own uniqueness, and personally I really like that. You have a beautiful cat..... Do you really want one that looks like it came off an assembly line?
I say that all with respect. It's your choice, and just my personal opinion. As far as having it changed, there seems to be some very talented taxidermists on this site, so you're probably in luck!
I too would like to see some more pictures if you would!

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
Absolutely can be fixed, probably in less than one hour shop time.

Firebird

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
A little love with a Dremel tool, built and smooth with apoxie sculpt or similar and repainted-so easy a bird taxidermist could do it!

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Why? It's part of the nature of the animal; a beautiful one, I might add.
Tinkering with it is like rebuilding a dugga boy's worn down horns or patching up the battle scars of any trophy. Leave it unique.

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Here is a better overall pic as requested. This is not a foam maniquien body - it is a custom traditional body all handmade with wire, cotton, and twine. Reflective eyes that are customized.

At time of the order, the taxidermist thought the bump would fall off in tanning. With the attention to detail very high, I can not imagine she half-assed it; just some miscommunication that should have been more about when ordering. Normally I am fine with natural scars. With this costing $1200 and the overall work spectacular, I would just assume have it looking "perfect"

20200914_200324.jpg

Trogon

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DU, RGS/AWS, NRA
Hunted
KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX
Here is a better overall pic as requested. This is not a foam maniquien body - it is a custom traditional body all handmade with wire, cotton, and twine. Reflective eyes that are customized.

At time of the order, the taxidermist thought the bump would fall off in tanning. With the attention to detail very high, I can not imagine she half-assed it; just some miscommunication that should have been more about when ordering. Normally I am fine with natural scars. With this costing $1200 and the overall work spectacular, I would just assume have it looking "perfect"

View attachment 367730
I'd have to say that is the best bobcat mount I've seen. The posture is perfect. If I had a mount like that it would be the keystone mount wherever I put it.
We have had several Bengal cats and this mount reminds me of how they like to get elevated and just relax.

Reactions: WAB

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
That Bastard looks like it is alive Choot it Liz,

Are we supposed to be looking at the little cut on the left nostril?

It’s just a part of it I think. If it were my $1200 mount I would be more concerned that I might not like the repaired version. Then you really will be disappointed.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hi curtism1234,

Along with others here, I like your cat just the way it is.
Excellent taxidermy, he looks extremely life like.

Best Regards
Paul.

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
I have to go along with most here and say leave as is, that is the way it was in life and the way it should be remembered. I shot a bushbuck with a torn ear and that is the way I had it mounted, the taxidermist wanted to fix it but I wanted him mounted way he was in life. Great mount by the way.

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Thanks for all the support and suggestions! If I ever attempt to get it "fixed", I will be sure to update this.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings