Bobcat nose

curtism1234

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
This mount has absolutely been driving me crazy for a couple years.

The nose had a small growth on it and when tanning it shrunk to about 1/8" by 1/8". Thickness is very shallow, probably 1/16". My taxidermist felt this was as good as she could get it, but it drives me . The taxidermist is on permanent close following the birth of her child.

Is there anything that can be done to make this less apparent? I don't know if that excess skin can be filed and repainted??? Or if that is a terrible idea...

Any thoughts? I know its the way the cat was when alive but this is otherwise a perfect cat and spectactular mount.

Thanks
20200913_203313.jpg

I have something like that on my nose....got careless with the razor and it healed poorly! :)

I will watch this thread to see if I get any hints for self-plastic surgery. lol

I'm not sure I would've given it a second thought if you hadn't pointed it out.
Personally, I think anomalies like that make the mount even more unique. Was that growth a scar from an injury maybe? I would be concerned that any further repair might make it even more obvious.
Anyway, this is the right place to find out if something can be done. I'll be interested to see.
If not I think the mount looks pretty darn cool regardless.
Good luck!

I agree with @Randy F, if the growth was there it actually makes it a little different. And if you had posted your photo without pointing it out, I doubt I would have noticed, looks more like a scar. That's a really good-looking cat mount. Eyes make it look alive. Please post a photo of the whole mount.

The nose would be easily fixed by any decent taxidermist. I've fixed a lot worse!

I like it the way it is. You said that's how it looked when it was alive? Taxidermy let's it live on in a way. Let it "live" the same as it was. I think that keeping as many abnormalities as possible is best. Each animal has it's own uniqueness, and personally I really like that. You have a beautiful cat..... Do you really want one that looks like it came off an assembly line?
I say that all with respect. It's your choice, and just my personal opinion. As far as having it changed, there seems to be some very talented taxidermists on this site, so you're probably in luck!
I too would like to see some more pictures if you would!

Absolutely can be fixed, probably in less than one hour shop time.

A little love with a Dremel tool, built and smooth with apoxie sculpt or similar and repainted-so easy a bird taxidermist could do it!

Why? It's part of the nature of the animal; a beautiful one, I might add.
Tinkering with it is like rebuilding a dugga boy's worn down horns or patching up the battle scars of any trophy. Leave it unique.

Here is a better overall pic as requested. This is not a foam maniquien body - it is a custom traditional body all handmade with wire, cotton, and twine. Reflective eyes that are customized.

At time of the order, the taxidermist thought the bump would fall off in tanning. With the attention to detail very high, I can not imagine she half-assed it; just some miscommunication that should have been more about when ordering. Normally I am fine with natural scars. With this costing $1200 and the overall work spectacular, I would just assume have it looking "perfect"

20200914_200324.jpg

Here is a better overall pic as requested. This is not a foam maniquien body - it is a custom traditional body all handmade with wire, cotton, and twine. Reflective eyes that are customized.

At time of the order, the taxidermist thought the bump would fall off in tanning. With the attention to detail very high, I can not imagine she half-assed it; just some miscommunication that should have been more about when ordering. Normally I am fine with natural scars. With this costing $1200 and the overall work spectacular, I would just assume have it looking "perfect"

View attachment 367730
I'd have to say that is the best bobcat mount I've seen. The posture is perfect. If I had a mount like that it would be the keystone mount wherever I put it.
We have had several Bengal cats and this mount reminds me of how they like to get elevated and just relax.

Reactions: WAB
That Bastard looks like it is alive Choot it Liz,

Are we supposed to be looking at the little cut on the left nostril?

It’s just a part of it I think. If it were my $1200 mount I would be more concerned that I might not like the repaired version. Then you really will be disappointed.

Hi curtism1234,

Along with others here, I like your cat just the way it is.
Excellent taxidermy, he looks extremely life like.

Best Regards
Paul.

I have to go along with most here and say leave as is, that is the way it was in life and the way it should be remembered. I shot a bushbuck with a torn ear and that is the way I had it mounted, the taxidermist wanted to fix it but I wanted him mounted way he was in life. Great mount by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross