Blue collar blaser

How much faster is a straight pull?

This reminds me. When talking about big bores vs smaller calibers for DG the same people that go on and on about the first shot accuracy for smaller bores are the same people extolling the faster bolt manipulation of a Blaser. :ROFLMAO:

bob, why would you bother necking down the 64 to 35?
it would make a good cartridge necked down to 7mm as an accompiment to 9.3, and possibly up to 416 as well to make a trio.
case capacity is similar to 338win/7rem mag.
the rws brass is exceptional in its temper, weight consistency, and ability to take pressure.
and they would all fit in a 30/06 length action.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I see your point. If you necked the 64 up to 416 it would be identical to the 416 Taylor.
No need for us old farts to keep on trying to reinvent the wheel it's a waste of good shooting time.
I'm just greatfull my 25 exceeded my expectations. In a No4 SMLE it almost equal to the 25 out six 3,300 fps with a 100grain core lockt.
In my P14 it pushes hard on the 257 weatherby.
So now I just stick with old tried and true as well as my 25.
Bob
Savage brought back the Fox SxS shotgun.
Last year they introduced the Renegauge.
BTW, was made to compete with the Benelli SBE3.
Plus they make some really good bolt action shotguns for deer and turkey.
Not to mention the AccuStock/Trigger/Fit systems.

I agree that Savage has been pushing innovation.
@BeeMaa
And let us not forget their 209 bolt action inline muzzle loaders.
Bob

bob, it will be interesting to see the barrel life of your 25.
my experience with 25/06 was pretty short.
however you cannot condemn a cartridge for that, as there are no free lunches.
it was amusing to read the crock about the 264 win being a barrel burner, and yet the same authorities never condemned to 257 weathery for same, even though it has a worse case/barrel capacity ratio.
your 25 should have better life than roy's.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
It should have a reasonable life as my max loads top out at 58 grains of H4831sc/AR2213sc or Hogdon superformance so not a great deal of powder but a very efficient use of it. According to calculations no load excedes 52,000 cup or about the same pressure as a 270 Winchester.
Bob

Some additional info and testing:

My one question was "are they using the same barrels?". That was answered in this article with a "yes."

looks like new for this year is a 280AI in LH from savage. decisions decisions...do I wait on this guy in 280AI, buy a 30-06 and rebarrel...or just buy this one: https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57760

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.36 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.37 AM.png
    788.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.38 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.01.41 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 129
@sgt_zim Buy both of them.
a-stirring.gif

Or, just buy another pre-fit barrel and barrel extension for your other cartridges, same bolt head so it's an easy swap. No need to mess with the nut or remove the scope to change barrels.

Last edited:
that would work except presently, the only long action rifles I own are 9.3x62 and 6.5x55.

any old excuse to buy another rifle or 3 works for me

My one question was "are they using the same barrels?". That was answered in this article with a "yes."

looks like new for this year is a 280AI in LH from savage. decisions decisions...do I wait on this guy in 280AI, buy a 30-06 and rebarrel...or just buy this one: https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57760
@sgt Zim
Wait and be the first kid on the block to have one in 280AI. PLUS it would save you money for more ammo. Just be patient you will get there.
Bob

@sgt Zim
Wait and be the first kid on the block to have one in 280AI. PLUS it would save you money for more ammo. Just be patient you will get there.
Bob
I may be the first kid on the block with the Savage Timberline in LH 280 AI. Just picked it up a couple days ago.

Very interesting , especially from a rifle design perspective.
However, I think that I will stick with my present battery which is led by my pre 64 M70 FWT .308.
It just keeps on hitting and killing what I aim at. In a rut we are.

I may be the first kid on the block with the Savage Timberline in LH 280 AI. Just picked it up a couple days ago.
@Sgt Zim
That's good to hear mate.
Now you can out that loading data I sent you to good use.
If you have any issues converting ADI powders to the Hogdon equivalent just PM me.
Have fun with your new toy.
Bob

@Sgt Zim
That's good to hear mate.
Now you can out that loading data I sent you to good use.
If you have any issues converting ADI powders to the Hogdon equivalent just PM me.
Have fun with your new toy.
Bob
160 gr AF on the way. now to top it off with some glass and track down some dies and brass.

So for the same price as a R8 barrel I can get a entire straight pull rifle. Now if they only made it in 375 H&H.

Attachments

• 973-Testartikel_TITAN16_AUT_10.2016.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • T16_Kaliberpalette.pdf
    385.4 KB · Views: 47
BTW - Browning has had Maral available in Europe for quite a while.
Odd that they haven't brought it to American shores.
Wonder why that is.
I think I missed this thread previously

@BeeMaa
The Browning Maral has been available in Australia for sometime.

I think the RoeslerTitan is available too.

Strausser straight pulll is listed in some stores. It caught my my eye due to the aesthetics of it.
They have interchangeable barrels along the Blaser lines I think but, they do not support the larger cartridges that Blaser R8 can.

The post by @Red Leg sums up why the Blaser works for him , and others.

Straight pull shotguns of Turkish origin are now Dime a Dozen in Australia.

It's nice to have options but it's hard to justify buying more,. Not that I don't want too, it's just I should prioritise shooting more than buying more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.