Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Here’s a video of R8 Professional Success stock in 500 Jeffery which only comes in alloy receiver. I myself would not be too keen to shoot a big bore with a thumbhole stock.

That looks surprisingly manageable.

Fastrig

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
CA, TX, MT, CO, NV, AK, NE, SD, FL
That looks surprisingly manageable.

I have three thumbhole stocked rifles and have to say they feel, shoulder, and handle better than any other rifle I own. Felt recoil is subjective, but the thumbhole stocked 300 win mag and 9.3x62 certainly don’t seem to kick as much as their traditional stocked cousins in the safe. My new Weatherby’s are coming in a very close second to thumbhole stocked rifles, was very surprised how beautifully the Weatherby stocks handle and shoot. I wouldn’t want to shoot a 500 in any stock configuration, will stick to the 375 and 416 for DG as they are plenty powerful IMO

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I have three thumbhole stocked rifles and have to say they feel, shoulder, and handle better than any other rifle I own. Felt recoil is subjective, but the thumbhole stocked 300 win mag and 9.3x62 certainly don’t seem to kick as much as their traditional stocked cousins in the safe. My new Weatherby’s are coming in a very close second to thumbhole stocked rifles, was very surprised how beautifully the Weatherby stocks handle and shoot. I wouldn’t want to shoot a 500 in any stock configuration, will stick to the 375 and 416 for DG as they are plenty powerful IMO
The thumbhole stock is something I would need to try before buying.
What contour barrel do you have for your 375 and 416?
And do you have the steel receiver and kickstop?

Fastrig

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
CA, TX, MT, CO, NV, AK, NE, SD, FL
The thumbhole stock is something I would need to try before buying.
What contour barrel do you have for your 375 and 416?
And do you have the steel receiver and kickstop?

The 375 and 416 are Weatherby’s. Not sure the contour of the barrels but they are heavy duty barrels, the 257 Wby and the 300 Win mag are only slightly less so than their bigger siblings. My thumb hole stocks are Mauser M12 Max’s, sweet handling and shooting rifles, would say they shoulder very similar to the Blazers I’ve handled however they won’t cycle like that straight pull but they do very well for a traditional bolt (smooth).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHarr

Latest profile posts

Rick HOlbert wrote on NTH's profile.
NTH, Just found your message. I hunt with Eland Pro Safaris in Namibia. Wide selection of game and great folks. Hell my PH and his family ARE adopted family, LOL! I book people to hunt with them and should you be interested I'd be happy to meet and discuss a trip. Anyway all the best to you and give me a shout sometime. Bye for now.
NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg
Global Rescue - Worldwide Emergency Evacuation & Field Rescue, Anytime Anywhere

global-rescue.jpg
Special 10% Off On Taxidermy For AfricaHunting Members 2021

taxidermy-in-texas.jpg