Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

Hmmmm............. Fascinating.............

Unless you mean something entirely different from what you write, what you seem to be wanting to communicate is:

1) scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of a CZ 550 action "cause scopes to rip off";

2) scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of an action are inferior to "older CZ m98 style that uses conventional bases and rings";

3) "to know more about (CZ 550), (I) must immerse (my) hands in it otherwise (I am) just talking conspicuous consumption";

4) good handloading should apparently result in over pressure and stuck cases.

I am just going to say hmmmm.................., again............

There is nothing mechanically stronger than scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of an action - it is certainly stronger than the mechanical strength of four 6-48 or even 8-40 screws attaching bases on top of it! - and I cannot fathom how a scope properly attached to a CZ 550 receiver with appropriate hardware could "rip off", unless of course it was attached by someone who is as good at basic mechanical tasks as at reloading overpressure and getting stuck cases...

Note: by the way, C.W. Richter, I observe that several of your rifles wear Talley mounts and rings, which are precisely the ones I use on my CZs, so I expect that you trust their mechanical strength, which I do, and that none have "ripped off" for you, but pray do tell how the 4 small screws holding the bases on your rifles are stronger than solid forged steel integral bases milled in square bridges (be they CZ, Mauser, Heym, Rigby, etc.)...

As to the advice about immersing my hands in CZ 550 matters rather than just talking about it, this has got to be one of the best jokes of the year on AH :E Rofl:

It seems I have gained quite a reputation for knowing, working on, and advocating for CZs. Rest assured I have more than a passing knowledge of CZs and currently own 4 of them (.270 Win, .300 Wby, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby) on which I personally installed Timney triggers and 3 position bolt-mounted safeties; tuned up feeding rails and ramps; adjusted extractor tension; etc., so yeah, I kind of "immersed my hands" in CZs and I guess that my "white gloves" are plenty black of CZ upgrading, tuning, stoning, polishing, etc. ;) all of which came at a cost as judiciously observed by BeeMaa...

View attachment 395983

Oh well.............................

I will only repeat - and show - what the R8 does for me that the CZ 550 cannot do:

Pelican 1700 with CZ 550 300 Wby & Krieghoff ,470 NE.jpg

CZ 550 + Krieghoff Big Five = 2 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

Pelican 1700 with Krieghoff .470 + Blaser R8 & 2 barrels.jpg

Blaser R8 + Krieghoff Big Five = 3 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

The above is a fact, and I amicably challenge anyone to get a light, medium and heavy caliber in 62" and 50 lbs. with conventional rifles. It HAS TO BE a R8 or a M03, which regrettably is not available anymore.

(A very few interchangeable barrel rifles others may qualify too, but any system with individual forearms attached to each barrel takes too much space and weight).

I am on record for finding Blaser R8 "safari" offering grossly over priced ($4,500 steel receiver Pro stock vs. $1,500 alloy receiver Pro stock, and $2,000 to $3,000 safari profile barrels vs. $1,000 standard barrels) and I maintain my position in this regard. I too have a bit of industry and business experience and I speculate that marketing to a perceived wealthy segment market explains these prices rather than production costs. But it is a free supply & demand economy, and I guess that as long as they sell at this price range they will continue...

It was not until I realized that one could actually mount any caliber barrel on the alloy receiver Pro stock and that a standard profile .375 H&H barrel cost $1,000 than I transitioned to Blaser.

A $8,000 R8 PH (steel receiver & Selous barrel) .375 H&H was a joke to me. A $3,000 R8 Pro (alloy receiver and standard barrel) .375 H&H, plus $2,000 for .257 Wby and .300 Wby barrels made eminent sense to me, for my specific purpose: going to and returning relatively easily from Africa through 8 airports each time with a 3 calibers battery.

As wisely observed by Red Leg, value is a very individualized proposition. The joy of using .257 Wby on Vaal Rhebok, .300 Wby on Kudu, and/or .375 H&H on Eland or as backup surgical precision rifle to my .470 double on Buffalo and Elephant is, TO ME, well worth my Blaser investment.

I fully respect that others may have different rationales for their different choices, but I really fail to see how using derogatory writing enhances their points........................ Oh well again............................

PS: I too must have missed all the advertising, because it sure would have helped me sort out the Blaser offering. In the end, I reached the conclusion that its complexity is its richness because possible configurations are almost endless...
That's an awful lot of writing to contradict what others on the forum have reported.

That's an awful lot of writing to contradict what others on the forum have reported.
I also would appreciate understanding what you were saying about scope security and machined CZ bases. The CZ action is often used by very well known custom builders as the basis for some very expensive heavy recoiling rifles because separate scope bases are not required. It makes the whole scope attachment process for more durable and secure. If there is evidence to the contrary, it would be interesting to understand it.

This is a custom .404 so equipped using Talley rings. Only claw mounts could be more secure.

gun6.jpg

I’ve read a lot about Blasers being expensive and over priced today. To me they do seem expensive, however I know quality will cost. If they are really that much better people will be willing to pay the difference.
I just bought some Snap-on screwdrivers and sockets the other day. I spent $450, I could have gotten Craftsman for $50-75, so I understand, I’m just unable to try a Blaser due to the high cost.
My M70s work well, but they are the craftsman tools.

I stay away from all illuminated scopes. Alot of places wont allow them for hunting.

Which ones? I’ve never heard about that before.

Which ones? I’ve never heard about that before.
I'd be curious to know as well. Here in the USA I have hunted MT. WY, UT, TX, NM, SD and that has not been an issue, but I have not hunted Eastern States where they have funky rules.

Also, couldn't you just take the battery out if illumination is an issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.49 AM.png
    406.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.51 AM.png
    462.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.52 AM.png
    518.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.54 AM.png
    524 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.34.55 AM.png
    798.9 KB · Views: 59
I stay away from all illuminated scopes. Alot of places wont allow them for hunting.

All the scopes that I use regularly here or in Africa carry illuminated reticles.

All the scopes that I use regularly here or in Africa carry illuminated reticles.
Im glad that places allow them to be used. I have always stayed clear of them out of fear of legal problems in another state or country.
Maybe im just overly cautious?
But leaving the interpretation to the man with the badge becouse of vague laws?

Im glad that places allow them to be used. I have always stayed clear of them out of fear of legal problems in another state or country.
You are the only person that I have ever heard express concern over that in the last decade or so. Over the last twenty years, illuminated scopes have become pretty much the norm in at least the Western Hemisphere, Western Europe, Africa, and the parts of Asia most people hunt. I can not speak for Eastern Europe other than Hungary.

Last edited:
It is hard to believe that you are a hunter and believe that. You certainly are the only person that I have ever heard say that. Over the last twenty years, illuminated scopes have become pretty much the norm worldwide.
After living in the hills of west virginia, I have been privileged with the company of backwoods law enforcement. I trust most law officers. But some places make me scratch my head. I try not to leave anything to chance.
After owning and driving trucks for over 20 years. Ive been on the recieving end of plenty of tickets written from vague laws. Taken to court, I will be the victor. But the time and money to fight things often costs more than the ticket.
Small town, backwoods enforcement has given me the most problems over the years.
Especially small town deputy sheriff officers not knowing federal vehicle codes for commercial vehicles.
I would hate to see them interpret other laws they have no experience with. Im probably overly cautious as I said, but I always say better safe than sorry.

After living in the hills of west virginia, I have been privileged with the company of backwoods law enforcement. I trust most law officers. But some places make me scratch my head. I try not to leave anything to chance.
After owning and driving trucks for over 20 years. Ive been on the recieving end of plenty of tickets written from vague laws. Taken to court, I will be the victor. But the time and money to fight things often costs more than the ticket.
Small town, backwoods enforcement has given me the most problems over the years.
Especially small town deputy sheriff officers not knowing federal vehicle codes for commercial vehicles.
I would hate to see them interpret other laws they have no experience with. Im probably overly cautious as I said, but I always say better safe than sorry.
Sure.

I have always been the "if it is not specifically prohibited then it is allowed" type of guy then the other way around.

If by the off chance a citing occurs, then I can fight it.

I c
An only speak to my own knowledge and experience.
Just like the different way im treated by police when I drive my old beat up pick up with jeans on vs nice clothes, jewelry in my z06.
But I dont want to high jack the thread anymore.
Have a nice day.

To go to the Blaser optics question, I believe that Blaser Group purchased Minox, and Minox is now producing Blaser scopes under their banner. Based on this belief, I have chosen to use Swaro and S&B scopes on my Blaser barrels (as well as one leupold which has performed wonderfully). While Minox is a respectable scope, in my opinion Swaro and S&B’s glass is better. And the price point is actually in Swaro and S&B’s favor if not the same from when I was comparing prices with Blaser scopes. I do think the iC tech is cool, but I haven’t found it to be something necessary to have in my hunting experience as I’ve always had time to illuminate my scope when needed. And other makers are coming out with that feature as well (I believe someone has mentioned Zeiss now has this feature). If I am mistaken, someone please let me know. I would also love to hear if someone has hunting experience with the Blaser scopes especially in low light conditions. I have only been able to handle them at the shows.

To go to the Blaser optics question, I believe that Blaser Group purchased Minox, and Minox is now producing Blaser scopes under their banner. Based on this belief, I have chosen to use Swaro and S&B scopes on my Blaser barrels (as well as one leupold which has performed wonderfully). While Minox is a respectable scope, in my opinion Swaro and S&B’s glass is better. And the price point is actually in Swaro and S&B’s favor if not the same from when I was comparing prices with Blaser scopes. I do think the iC tech is cool, but I haven’t found it to be something necessary to have in my hunting experience as I’ve always had time to illuminate my scope when needed. And other makers are coming out with that feature as well (I believe someone has mentioned Zeiss now has this feature). If I am mistaken, someone please let me know. I would also love to hear if someone has hunting experience with the Blaser scopes especially in low light conditions. I have only been able to handle them at the shows.
I've not hunted with the Blaser scopes, but I did compare them side by side with Swaro, Zeiss, S&B and Kahles. I didn't like the first focal plane of the Blaser scopes so they didn't get much consideration. My preference from those I listed is Swaro and I have 3 Z8i's. Although I'm currently looking at a Kahles (also made by Swaro) for a possible future barrel.

When I was doing the comparison, it was around Oct-Dec 2019. At that time Zeiss was offering the iC option for the Blaser R8 rifle. However you must have the iC Blaser receiver AND the Zeiss scope must have this option for the system to work. My wife's R8 has this option, mine does not. I do not know if Zeiss is still offering this as an option.
1617652992492.png

I've not hunted with the Blaser scopes, but I did compare them side by side with Swaro, Zeiss, S&B and Kahles. I didn't like the first focal plane of the Blaser scopes so they didn't get much consideration. My preference from those I listed is Swaro and I have 3 Z8i's. Although I'm currently looking at a Kahles (also made by Swaro) for a possible future barrel.

When I was doing the comparison, it was around Oct-Dec 2019. At that time Zeiss was offering the iC option for the Blaser R8 rifle. However you must have the iC Blaser receiver AND the Zeiss scope must have this option for the system to work. My wife's R8 has this option, mine does not. I do not know if Zeiss is still offering this as an option.
View attachment 396231
I forgot about the necessity of an iC receiver for the illumination system to work automatically. Definitely an essential part for for those considering that feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg