Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I made a biltong rack and have made it a few times. I learned how to do it in Africa helping friends a few times. I bought a nice biltong chopper in Namibia a while back along with the braai baskets for making lamb chops and ribs as well. We had a local Jerky Outlet store for a while that had some decent commercial stuff.
Cool post. Makes us all miss Africa!

Still alive

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Will I’m going in June on safari! So I thought after reading this, I should make some and try it. Made my box this morning as the meat was in the brown vinegar. Rub the biltong safari rub on it. I’ll let you know in four to six days.

Do I need the light? I’m at 68 to 70 24 hours per day? Thanks

97F151F4-53A3-4533-BA71-725BE851AEA4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Telford

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Phasa ,SA Wingshooters, Botswana Tourism (HATAB), Pretoria Arms and Ammunition Association PAAA.
Hunted
South Africa , Botswana,
Another variation is to leave the Biltong hanging for two months until it is so dry you can pulverise it with a few good blows from a hammer. The shards of meat are the. Sprinkled on top of a melted cheese toastie.... perfect on a cold winters night when served with a hearty soup.

Desperatezulu

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, UK
Humidity is a big factor in the biltong making process. The light bulb is typically used to raise the temperature a few degrees and thereby lower the humidity in the box.
For the bulb to cook the meat you'd need a high output bulb and a small box - this is not an issue usually.

In SA our winters are normally cool and dry (read low humidity) and historically the time to make biltong, cos this is also the hunting season. Biltong is traditionally made by hanging it in a dry space using natural air flow (flies etc usually being absent in winter). The fan and lightbulb trick has evolved from summer biltong making when humidity is high, and placing the meat in an enclosed vessel to keep insects out. If your ambient humidity is low, then a fan alone is more than adequate - the bulb speeds things up but can lead to over-drying as has been mentioned.

The size of the meat strips and fat content also plays a role - the pieces shown in this thread are quite small, so will dry quickly. If making large pieces of fatty meat, then drying time will be longer and the risk of mould increases, especially if humidity is high. The amount of strips you hang affects air flow too - high density means more moisture to be removed, consider fan and bulb accordingly.

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Do I need the light? I’m at 68 to 70 24 hours per day? Thanks
first, nice work on the box!!

re: the light, i tried it without, but it is not dry enough here (humidity wise) and so, it slowed the process a bit, so i turned the light back on.

i did not notice a vent hole on your box, a hole or holes to allow air (bug free air) into the box. gives the air flow needed to properly dry the meat.

good luck, i bet you like it. try a bit as you dry it out and you will find the combination of moisture in the meat you like best.

Last edited:

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Ladies & Gents,

Yours Truly only lives a short distance from 1dirthawker (lucky him).
I totally vouch for his bolting box engineering and his recipe, simply excellent.
Furthermore, he and his wife both are excellent Cooks in general.
Only a very few days ago, my wife and I dined with Mr. & Mrs. 1dirthawker.
After a very fine supper indeed, my wife tried to convince him and his wife to market some of their recipes, as their kitchen skills, to say the least are impressive.
I agree with my wife’s suggestion.
Turns out they have considered this marketing idea already and are mulling it over.

Any way and as a side note on biltong, almost 20 years ago now, I was introduced to biltong, during my first visit to Africa.
I became an instant biltong junkie.
The PH told me his recipe was nothing more than a little bit of coarse salt, plenty of crushed coriander seeds and white distilled vinegar.
Then the meat strips from various antelope species is strung on wires in a “biltong house”.
This is a wood framed shed but with fine mesh screen for walls and roof, used during the dry season.

Anywhooo, upon returning home to Alaska, I decided to try this recipe as a Braai, aka: BB-Q marinate.
Another high five to 1dirthawker for passing on his good experiences of eating a bit of fat on biltong.
The “biltong marinate” turns out to be less than perfect on the drier “white meat” of chicken.
However, it is quite delicious on the darker / higher fat content parts of the chicken, IE: the drum sticks and thighs.
After soaking these in the spices and vinegar over night (in the refrigerator), I grilled them as anyone would grill any chicken meat.
It turned out quite tasty and not dry at all, if I do say so myself (I’d rather be lucky than good).
More than one or two people have asked me for my recipe, as well as what it is called.
Since I “discovered” biltong and the recipe for same in Namibia (as mentioned, now using it for grilled chicken marinade), I named it “Chicken Namibia”.

No doubt others have been grilling chicken in biltong spice before I was born but, at any rate, it is a pleasant departure from some of our sugary USA style marinades and corn syrup based BB-Q sauces.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia
Thanks for the suggestion 1dirthawker!
Now how to convince the gf to venture into this :unsure:

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia
just make some, (its not rocket science) slice it up and give her some. if she likes jerky, she will like biltong. instant "buy in"

Already floated the idea: she is not a fan of dried meat...

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
btw,

my last batch of biltong was amazing!! (even with the out of date biltong seasoning!!)

Chukar

Gold supporter
Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC
Hunted
USA, Namibia
Thanks for the tutorial!

I first tried it here in the states ordered online. It was good. The stuff in Namibia was just a bit better.

Yes, the fat is good.

Muskox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
Look how nasty the ingredients are on that biltong mix. It literally has sand in it!

Here is my biltong flavor regime.

I used apple cider vinegar as I didn't have any wine vinegar, and ended up liking the flavor. I have also used white vinegar, but didn't care for it.

I use a good quality sea salt, pepper, and either dried green chille powder or roasted coriander seeds.

When I lived in Spain and Italy on the sea, I used to hang it an empty room I had with a fan on it.

Here in New Mexico because of the number of bugs we have (scorpions and yellow jackets) I have had bad luck in a biltong box. So I now smoke it at very low heat for 18 hours, something like 135 F, and I use a mild wood like apple. More of a Namibian biltong I guess, of the German tradition.

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Does the bolting have to hang?

The reason I ask is I have a dehydrator that has a fan... and I can run it with the heat completely off.. or the lowest temp if I turn it on is 130...

It’s big enough for me to do 5 lbs of jerky at a time... but it’s a long rectangle... not tall enough to hang anything in there even if I rigged something up.. but I can lay flat 8 trays that are ventilated full of meat

Muskox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
It seems to like to hang.

I have used food dehydrator trays and a high powered fan, and the same ingredients before and it was a different product. The "hang" seems to help!

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Does the bolting have to hang?

The reason I ask is I have a dehydrator that has a fan... and I can run it with the heat completely off.. or the lowest temp if I turn it on is 130...
mdwest,

a good question that i am not sure on. never tried making horizontal, never seen it made horizontal. i suspect 130 degrees is going to be pretty warm for making the biltong.

i have made jerky before, but my results were always very inconsistent, too salty, too sweet, different texture, too DRY etc. i can make biltong almost exactly the same every time AND can make the small tweaks to change it very easily.

the slow drying time and thick pieces are the two "secrets" to success. if you build a proper biltong box, i suspect it will get more use than your dehydrator box. if you make some in it, let me know how it went, i would definitely learn something.

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Will I’m going in June on safari! So I thought after reading this, I should make some and try it. Made my box this morning as the meat was in the brown vinegar. Rub the biltong safari rub on it. I’ll let you know in four to six days.

well, how did your biltong turn out?

Still alive

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Been 7 days!! after four days we started to eat/ check. Was good, little on the salty side. Too soft on the inside. Today was perfect!! Great chew, no more salt at all? Humidity was around 40-42% temp was very stable at 68-70. My family loves it, so I’m reporting it was a big hit!!

C3B28438-D6CF-4533-892D-504909F613FB.jpeg
9BBE26C3-B6D0-45B5-A58E-CA029DD314C3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Been 7 days!! after four days we started to eat/ check. Was good, little on the salty side. Too soft on the inside. Today was perfect!! Great chew, no more salt at all? Humidity was around 40-42% temp was very stable at 68-70. My family loves it, so I’m reporting it was a big hit!!

your biltong looks great, found myself salivating when looking at it! don't be afraid to try some pieces with fat on them, you will become a believer, nice work.

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
i am in the middle of an experiment with using beef brisket instead of round steak. i am just now putting in the dryer, will get back and give an update of how it ended up. i just thought brisket has lots of fat and might make a superior piece of biltong. will see.

has anyone else used brisket for biltong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaleighDAl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.