Big bore practice ammunition

Lbarr265

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
What ratio of quality soft/solids/cheap practice bullets do y'all use for practicing with big bores? I'm thinking specifically about a 416 Rigby, where I'm using Northfork softs and Nosler solids. I want to get good practice in with the rounds I will be using to hunt, but I also don't want to burn quality ammo needlessly. Just curious on how often y'all use what for practice. Is it important to practice with solids at all after you ensure they have the same point of impact?

Once you have confirmed what your rifle will shoot, it doesn’t matter what you practice with Especially if you are trying to build muscle memory and getting used to the rifle. Working on speed drills and reloading are very important, they become quite costly when you are throwing premium bullets into the backstop. For the 416, watch Midway for their “seconds” bullets, they are dirt cheap if you reload. I believe they are Hornady Interbond bullets. Nice cheap bullets that I haven’t found anything wrong with besides some discoloration of the jackets.

Lbarr,
I cast 400 gr. practice bullets for my 404 Jeffery. Shoot them over 28 gr. of Trail Boss, or you can do reduced loads with H 4895. The info for the reduced 4895 loads can be found on Hodgdons website. For full practice loads I use 400 gr. Barnes banded solids purchased on Gunbroker for $15.00 per 50. I also use North Fork bullets, but only for hunting at $2 per bullet practice could get expensive fast, besides I practice a lot. Here is a link for .416 400gr Barnes bullets I was referring to, he also sells 350 gr for the 416. Hope this helps a bit.
John
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/786937334

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 8.13.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 8.13.41 PM.png
    872.4 KB · Views: 239
Snap caps are a very useful tool for dangerous game practice. You can do an enormous amount of reload and muscle memory practice. Also, it helps prevent a flinch and allows you to concentrate on trigger control. It is a good and cheap addition to your training schedule.

Snap caps are a very useful tool for dangerous game practice. You can do an enormous amount of reload and muscle memory practice. Also, it helps prevent a flinch and allows you to concentrate on trigger control. It is a good and cheap addition to your training schedule.

This^ then the cheapest soft nose bullets you can find. When getting near Hunt time confirm scope zero and soft/solid strike point and a bit of practice with full loads. I am lucky the cheap ammo I use in my 416 Rigby has the same POI as my hunting soft points and solids.

Cast bullets with gas checks work nicely...in 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs. Found a bunch online by Barnes for 30 cents/each...a real bargain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois