Big Bore Addiction Group

Matt

The mercury tube does not reduce the total force of the recoil beyond what simple dead weight will...it just spreads it out a few extra milliseconds.

There are other variables that can and do make more of a change to perceived recoil...the tube is just one element available to people as they put together a system (which hopefully focuses on rounds down range in practice).

i understand, i was talking "felt recoil" not "total force".

-matt

One thing is for sure...when I pulled that 15.5 ounces of lead out of the stock of the 416, the rifle felt so muzzle heavy that it did not feel any lighter!

Balance is really important to perceived weight of the rifle!

I may be pushing 60, but I am going to have to hit the weights...this 416 needs to weigh 11 pounds just to balance out. :E Strong:

The mercury tubes or dead mule type reducers are only about the cost of half a box of factory ammo... So I have to agree with Rob, why not try it?

I don't dispute what Matt says, but the science Tim is speaking of makes all the sense in the World to me... It is all about little degrees of improvement. To me the small cost is well worth any improvement on these real big bores... And I don't like carrying heavy guns all day in the heat. So I'll take what I can get for any small reductions and try to hold the overall weight down. Matt carrying those heavy guns is a lot different at 30 years of age than 50+ ;)

I like my in stock reducer, but never tried simple lead. Anything beats those awful muzzle brakes!

And @Rob44 , my guns with 26" barrels seem mighty awkward compared to the 24" ones. I would seriously consider a 22" and would be inclined to go no more than 24".
I'm thinking the Smith has more experience in barrel length in these calibers than I do, but if given the option I'll go with a 24"

Side view of my VC 500NE :)

VC500NE copy.JPG

Now that is a very nice double...love those round actions...(y)

Those round-bottom actions gotta carry like a dream in the hand.

Look delicious, too!

Thats exactly why I went for the round-bottom action. It really is a pleasure to carry :)

Hahahaha!!! the "big bore" rifles had this effects!....
After shooting and hunt with a 45/70 and 375 H&H there is not any chance to turn back! hahahaha
I´M SO SORRY FOR US....

sounds like a decent start, come visit me in in WA, USA and ill put some rifles in your hands that will rattle your brains like youve never felt before! :D

-matt

:E Hmmm:......so matt now we know what caused your problems.........:E Rofl::D Beers:

Maybe we need an "AH Cocussion Protocol" like the NFL?

Me thinks Matt would be riding the pine for a while after all his 505 Gibbs shooting. :eek:

Maybe we need an "AH Cocussion Protocol" like the NFL?

Me thinks Matt would be riding the pine for a while after all his 505 Gibbs shooting. :eek:

You can tell by our posts the members that have been hit a little too much lol

no idea what you guys are talking about. :E Crazy:

on a similar note, my 585 HE showed up today! its a 12 pound recoil generating machine designed for maximum output. :A Banana:

-matt

no idea what you guys are talking about. :E Crazy:

on a similar note, my 585 HE showed up today! its a 12 pound recoil generating machine designed for maximum output. :A Banana:

-matt

wheres the photo then......or cant you focus correctly ? :E Crazy Eyes: :E Big Grin:

wheres the photo then......or cant you focus correctly ? :E Crazy Eyes: :E Big Grin:

I wasn't gonna post a picture till ive had the finish work done, the rifle is still in the "white" but here she is.

-matt

Attachments

• P1000138_zps1d0rf9az.jpg
    P1000138_zps1d0rf9az.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 77
  • P1000135_zps82ci04ia.jpg
    P1000135_zps82ci04ia.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice should be a beauty when It's complete

Hello,
I am also addicted to heavy recoil and loud noises this started with a colt peacemaker revolver in 45-70 govt and evolved into a 2.5 ft long 3 1/2 inch 10 ga for turkey. This problem is growing worse and more expensive. Recently i have had an idea that i cant seem to satisfy and you seem like the correct people to enable me on this quest. I want a new big bore rifle, however i have become intrigued with the idea of a big bore pump action rifle does this exist?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.