Big Bore Addiction Group

Velo, wouldn't that be the Bush Company?

The best pianist in the place?

Velo, wouldn't that be the Bush Company?

Nope, It was The Spenard Itchnclap but, I do know that the Bush Company house favorite tune is "Moonlight Sonata" by composer Ludwig van Beatoften.

For me I currently have a 375H&H, 500MDM, and 416B&M with 458B&M getting built later on this year. It is true that the 375H&H is a gateway gun. Originally it was supposed to be my good for everything Africa rifle ;).

For me I currently have a 375H&H, 500MDM, and 416B&M with 458B&M getting built later on this year. It is true that the 375H&H is a gateway gun. Originally it was supposed to be my good for everything Africa rifle ;).

This would explain why I now want a .458 Lott so badly. It is the fault of my .375 H&H.

its true! the 375 H&H gets you in the door and before you know it you start thinking "the 375 H&H isnt so bad, i bet i could handle more". ive found the 416's to be the deal maker/breaker. if you touch off a 416 and think "man that was fun!" then you have started down the road of big bore addiction.

you know your bad when someone at the range says "you wanna try my new (insert giant magnum here)?" and you dont even think twice about taking him up on the offer. thats how i got to try a 378 Weatherby hot loaded to 3100 fps. o_O

-matt

Matt,

Watch the video and be honest with me. Is there any hope for me, or am I hooked? I think I may have a problem....

looks like you had fun!

i wish i knew more local people with big bore guns so id have someone to shoot with who could fire my rifles more then once without crying about their shoulder. most people will shoot my 375 H&H once or twice but rarely 3+. few people are willing to shoot my 500/416 NE just once and ive yet to have someone willing to shoot it twice. i took the 500/416 along with 20 rounds to a shoot that consisted of people from my work and of the 24 people who showed only 5 were willing to try the gun after watching me take a shot (so i shot the remaining 14 :D). but even the noise from the 500/416 NE seemed to scare people (we got alotta wimps in this state). i get the feeling the only person who will shoot my 505 Gibbs is gonna be me and a select few brave individuals.

if you live in WA or ever come visit and want to do some big bore shooting, drop me a line.

-matt

I really did!

I know what you mean. I've only had one friend who thought shooting my .375 was fun. I will give him credit though. The only rifle he had ever shot was my .223 and then I had my shoot that. LOL!

I'm way on the other side of the country here in Atlanta. If I ever get out that way I will let you know. I'd love to give that Gibbs a try when you get it.

Wish I was closer, but Colorado is a drive. If you're in my area look me up. I'm fortunate that I have my two sons to shoot with. We each have our own 375 Bee, 416 Rem, 500 Jeffery ...

:)

Hi my name is Caleb, many get it wrong and call me Cable. I'm not sure if I've got self control keeping it at the medium/ heavy medium level, or if I'm in denial.

I got a 375 H&H before a buffalo hunt, but started wondering if it would be enough so I bought a 300 RUM and had it re-barreled into a 404 Jeffrey. Over time I was getting bored, and I started the process of sporterizing a Mauser 98 into a 9.3x62. I keep telling myself that any of those are enough, but I keep hearing this voice tell me I need a 458 of some sort. I don't know where it comes from, I just keep hearing it. I try to tell myself I don't need anything bigger, 404 is fine for elephant and I'm getting away from that "beware the man with one gun" philosophy, but I still hear that voice.........

Hi my name is Caleb, many get it wrong and call me Cable. I'm not sure if I've got self control keeping it at the medium/ heavy medium level, or if I'm in denial.

I got a 375 H&H before a buffalo hunt, but started wondering if it would be enough so I bought a 300 RUM and had it re-barreled into a 404 Jeffrey. Over time I was getting bored, and I started the process of sporterizing a Mauser 98 into a 9.3x62. I keep telling myself that any of those are enough, but I keep hearing this voice tell me I need a 458 of some sort. I don't know where it comes from, I just keep hearing it. I try to tell myself I don't need anything bigger, 404 is fine for elephant and I'm getting away from that "beware the man with one gun" philosophy, but I still hear that voice.........

Denial. Definitely denial.

Caleb i agree with the voices in your head. you clearly need a 458 Lott or your 404 Jeffery will be loney! a 500gr bullet is always better then a 400gr bullet when it coms to large angry critters.

-matt

Don't do it Caleb. Going from a 404 Jeffery to a 458 Lott is only half a step up! You need to jump up to a 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery.

:)

The .375 is a gateway drug, leading to harder stuff.

Big Bore "Addict" ? not at all ... but I try ...
Long time ago : my first "small Big Bore" : .35Whelen, later replace by .338WM : too late ... 9.3x64 Brenneke, replace by .375 H&H
(Rem 700 Safari and Ruger#1) , , not so bad but, plus a .458WM Parker Hale it's better ...
Today I'm wise,.. (almost) ... finished .458WM and .375H&H etc ... simply a CZ 550 9.3x62 Mauser and a Winch 70 Safari Express .416RM.
But ... for short range, I'm looking for something like Marlin 1895 45-70 .... not very powerful, but with a good momentum at 50yds ...

I really admire the 458 caliber in general. for a long time my favorite cartridge was the 45-70 Gov, in fact that's the cartridge that I learned to hand load on. if I hadn't stumbled across the Montana Rifle Company's nice price on 505 Gibbs rifles I would have bought a Winchester M70 in 458 WM and had it rechambered to 458 Lott.

my thoughts on the old "458 Win VS 458 Lott" debate: the 458 Win is an decent cartridge but is very limiting for hand loaders. the small case capacity doesn't give you much room to use mono-metal bullets which really limits your options for good solids. the 458 Lott gives you a lot more room to play with and can be loaded hotter if you feel like it. personally I would load the 458 Lott with a 500gr bullet at around 2150-2200 fps since I don't see a real need to push it to 2300fps or beyond.

even with my 505 Gibbs I don't plan on exceeding 2200fps with any of my loads. a 600gr .505" bullet at 2100-2200fps will flatten anything on the planet. even the smaller 525gr .505" bullet at 2150fps should in theory work in most situations (not sure about a heart shot on an elephant). ive heard Kynoch loads their 505 Gibbs ammunition with 525gr Woodleigh bullets at around 2150fps and ive yet to hear that Kynoch 505 Gibbs ammunition has failed any one.

well enough of my drunken rambling, back to drinking and watching movies... maybe a snack
-matt

Caleb and Matt you only have a voice in your head? How do you do that? I have a whole choir singing the 9.3, 375, 416, 404, 458, 50, 12 bore, 8 bore song. Every time they start down the new 470 and 4 bore song I stick my finger's in my ears and run to the range saying La La La La La. You you have a problem just like the rest of us:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois