Best time of year to go hunting South Africa in the Limpopo?

linofva

Reaction score
I'm planning to go Limpopo, RSA for plains game in 2013. My question is when would be the best time of the year to go? Personally I prefer cooler weather.

I've read some mention of the phase of the moon.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm planning to go Limpopo, RSA for plains game in 2013. My question is when would be the best time of the year to go? Personally I prefer cooler weather.

I've read some mention of the phase of the moon.

Any thoughts appreciated.

The coldest month is July. Normally it has also been dry and the critters are easier to find. This year was an exception with respect to precipitation, but it followed normal temp patterns. It can be quite cool that time of year and the lightly haired and thin skinned antelope don't care for the cold. This tends to limit their movement. I think early August may be perfect, still cool but not quite as cold and you can be more certain things have dried out.

If there is good quantities of game the moon is not to worry about. I was in Limpopo in late June, early July of '09 and we had frost some mornings and a few sprinkles of rain. Daytime highs ran 60-75 F, quite pleasant. If you have time do go up to Mapungubwe Park for a visit. Its a really neat place where you can see the Limpopo River as it passes Botswana and Zimbabwe on its way past northern RSA. Well worth a day trip.

Hi linofva. I hunted Limpopo in 2010 from mid may through early june (partly to beat the rush). Weather was great...22-24 degC every day but nights & early mornings very cold. Its dark phase of the moon time which my PH reckoned was a good time to be there but as Sestoppelman says if the game is there you'll have good hunting. It's also the time of year that some of the game I wanted was in rut (Kudu)...worth considering. There was a late rainy season last year so the folliage was still quite thick which made the hunting a bit more challenging. August is a good time to go. The bush will have dropped a lot of it's cover and game will be easier to see though your shots may be longer.

Hi Linofva,

my 2 cents, I would hunt late April, May.............bush is a little thicker (not good) but its not too cold (good) and the game is a little calmer. (VERY good)
On the ranch's in Limpopo and South Africa in general, the Hunting season starts during April (some ranch's have exemption but a lot still dont hunt all year) and by late season July; or August, september for ranch's with exemption the game can get a bit spooky............can be worked around, but my experience is the game is more relaxed earlier in the season.

use it dont use it.................as a South African, I try to hunt earlier ..................but while saying that, I am off again next week............so hold thumbs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg