Best fit between .22 WMR and .270 Winchester?

flat8

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA
Hunted
USA, RSA
So when I'm in Dallas I've got to shop for something ... looking for a bolt action to fill the gap in my safe between my .22WMR and my .270 Winchester. Having difficulty choosing between a .223 Remington and a .243 Winchester. Purpose may be for a mountain lion hunt later this year or in 2019. Any thoughts on the .223 vs .243 debate or on manufacturers is appreciated!

Reload or factory ammo? Really can't go wrong with either of your choices but I'd lean toward the .243. Have you considered something in 6.5? The Creedmoor has a huge following and a large offering of very accurate factory ammo.

How about something just a little bigger, the .25-06. Would be a good choice for Coues deer shooting distances. With the heavy end bullets, will take your mountain lion no problem. A fine coyote caliber too.

243 all the way. 223/556 is an excellent gofer round and that’s about it. 243 is a very versatile hunting cartridge, I’ve killed everything from varmints to big bodied mule deer with it.

another vote for .243.. .Ive taken everything from yotes to a 588lb feral hog with one..

very versatile hunting caliber..

@Hogpatrol - factory ammo. @PHOENIX PHIL - I love the .25-06, but the ballistics are closer to a .270 than I'm after. Looking to fill that very big gap between 300 pounds of energy and 25-2900 ish. Something delivering 1250 to 2000.

@Hogpatrol - factory ammo. @PHOENIX PHIL - I love the .25-06, but the ballistics are closer to a .270 than I'm after. Looking to fill that very big gap between 300 pounds of energy and 25-2900 ish. Something delivering 1250 to 2000.

That being the case, I'd go with the .243. I love shooting a .223, but it's primarily a varmint gun and less flexible for hunting.

.243 was what where I was leaning as well. Thoughts on makes/models? Thank you!

Hmm - so I'll vote for the .223. The 130 gr .270 does everything better that the .243 does at the upper end of its capability envelope - deer, antelope, you name it. You have one of those. And at the lower end, the .243 will act like a big .223, but why opt for the overkill? As to model and make - probably need a bit more data for how you intend to use it. Options run the gambit from the "platform" rifles through lovely little sporters by Cooper or Dakota.

My current 243 Win (Kimber Montana) has taken many jackrabbits, coyotes, whitetail, mule deer, and antelope as well as occasional crows and prairie dogs. If I had to, I wouldn’t hesitate to take a cow elk with a premium bullet. I carried it on a mountain lion hunt in New Mexico, but was unsuccessful. Personally I’d carry a lever action 30-30, 44 Mag, or even 357 Mag as a dedicated mountain lion with hounds hunting rifle.
Some states you are not aloud to take big game, including mountain lion with a 224 caliber. Also some you are not allowed to Varmint hunt during big game season with anything over a 224 caliber.

Best of luck in your decision!

What's your budget? One can go from a cheap Savage Axis to a higher end Cooper, Kimber or Nosler and up. I prefer custom but that's another$$ ballgame. I have seen some Savages shoot extremely well for their price point. If you have 2k to spend, go full custom.

Hmm - so I'll vote for the .223. The 130 gr .270 does everything better that the .243 does at the upper end of its capability envelope - deer, antelope, you name it. You have one of those. And at the lower end, the .243 will act like a big .223, but why opt for the overkill? As to model and make - probably need a bit more data for how you intend to use it. Options run the gambit from the "platform" rifles through lovely little sporters by Cooper or Dakota.

Intended use is for a mountain lion hunt that may or may not happen. Also as a backup rifle to my .270 for pronghorn. I'd like something light that I can hoof around for long distances.

What brand is your 270?

Here ya go...

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...70-Current-Products/model-70-super-grade.html

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 10.26.02 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ridgewalker - Nosler 48 with Leupold glass.
A lighter lever action carries easily when chasing hounds. It’s like an extension of your hand. Mountain lion hunting behind hounds your shot will rarely be over 50-75 feet up a tree, so open sights work fine.

I personally like my guns to operate the same, so my old man brain can use muscle memory in tired or stressed situations.

I really like my Kimber Montana but would not want to go lighter, ie the Kimber Ascent. Light is great, but too light when you’re huffing and puffing trying to get into range can be a problem controlling. Also if you need more than 3 rounds, the thin light barrel begins to open up.

JMO, so take it with a grain of salt!;)

I will float out an idea in a slightly different direction - get an AR15 (.223) and a 6.5 Grendel upper. The Grendel turns the AR platform into a legitimate deer/pronghorn rifle, and you get the .223 upper for prairie dog work. You won't be able to bring it to Africa being semiauto, but it will be a fun rifle for AZ and range time. As far as lowers go, it doesn't really matter - just get a Chip McCormack drop in trigger and you will be good to go.

If you stick with the bolt gun, the Nosler 48 mentioned in this thread is a sweet rifle. I have it is 270wsm and 338 and they have been good to me.

1.5k, assuming 500 for glass would suggest a factory Rem, Savage, Ruger, or Thompson Center.

$1500 is the budget before glass...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber