Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
There are some in my group who would like to bring their favorite bottle to camp. With all the cancellations I find myself, after 15 trips, on a totally new route to Africa! If we are going to hit the duty free shops for a bottle of whiskey, scotch, etc which one should we choose? I would assume our best bet would be DOH but I’ve not been there. Do they sell alcohol there? I don’t think you can shop at the duty free store once you land in JNB from what I remember. I do recall getting some bottles in JNB when I was connecting to Zim. Now that is a place I’d recommend bringing your own bottle.
I am the adventurous type and actually learned to drink scotch in Africa because I just drink whatever is available. Scotch is all they have most places so “when in Rome”!
Although the beer is great, especially in Namibia, after some time you just want a whiskey after a long day.
I’d appreciate your thoughts on this critical issue
Regards
Philip

My buddy and I just brought one bottle of bourbon each to RSA from the states for our meet & greet man. Was told two bottles on Qatar was pushing the envelope. Aside that, it seemed like there were more than a few closed shops in the terminal at Doha. The international terminal at Tambo is completely closed.

Was in Doha last month at 0300 and all shops seemed open. There is a big duty free shop loaded with a different alcohols, cigarette and cigars. It was 50yards off the right foot of a giant stuffed bear. We had no issues carrying it on the plane from Doha to JNB. We were told to keep it in the sealed bag and not to drink it on the plane. alcohol prices were fair, cigarettes the same, cigars were much more expensive then an equal stick here at home.
JNB was a ghost town at 1800. We felt fortunate to find a beer And a bag of chips. Have a great Hunt.

Doha was fairly busy when we went through there a few days ago. All of the shops by the lounges were open. This was on arrival of the same DFW flight you will be on, so around 6:00pm. Doha airport was fantastic compared to anything I have ever been in.

Was in Doha last month at 0300 and all shops seemed open. There is a big duty free shop loaded with a different alcohols, cigarette and cigars. It was 50yards off the right foot of a giant stuffed bear. We had no issues carrying it on the plane from Doha to JNB. We were told to keep it in the sealed bag and not to drink it on the plane. alcohol prices were fair, cigarettes the same, cigars were much more expensive then an equal stick here at home.
JNB was a ghost town at 1800. We felt fortunate to find a beer And a bag of chips. Have a great Hunt.
Thanks

If what they like isnt too strange , why not stop at booze shop or shoprite supermarket after you have arrived....probably find it's cheap to you ....
It just seems like there is never time or we wind up at some small bottle shop that doesn’t have much of a selection. It is a great idea however.

It just seems like there is never time or we wind up at some small bottle shop that doesn’t have much of a selection. It is a great idea however.

Try to get taken to a big shoprite in nice area...presume going to have same or better than what they have in the booze department in some of the ones here, and it's pretty good selection of spirits and wines....or you should have come to Zambia...the bottle store near the house in lusaka has an unbelievable selection of spirits especially if you into whisky...get my bombay ..and absolute vodka there among other things..usually bout 2/3 price of supermarkets..so now you know for next time......

Here is my question. I am not a big drinker at all; but enjoy a nice Bourbon & Coke or on the rocks sitting around a fire pit smoking an Excellent Cuban cigar. I will be flying through Dubai in 15 days. What is a spectacular Bourbon to buy? Generally the cost would be no object. I realize I will not be able to find Pappy Van Winkle 23 year bourbon....HAHA

@Manny R - Weller 12, Michter’s, the other Pappy’s, Henry McKenna Single Barrel, and Noah’s Mill gets good reviews.

I’ve personally had Weller 12 & Henry McKenna, and I prefer the latter. I’m not a wheated bourbon fan though.

Thank you

I flew through DOHA about 6 weeks or so ago. I think I wandered through the same Duty Free Shop that DGGardner mentions above (not to far from the Teddy Bear). I didn't really look at the selection of booze they had but they had quite an assortment it seemed.
Once at the lodge the closest Liquor Store (small village) was nice but selection was lacking. Prices were good though on the dollar conversion. I typically drink Canadian whiskey and they didn't have any. I do believe they had Jack Daniels but not much else from the states that I recognized. So I started drinking brandy - grew quite fond of it actually.

I usually take a bottle of Blanton's Bourbon with me, just for medicinal purposes of course.

@Manny R - Weller 12, Michter’s, the other Pappy’s, Henry McKenna Single Barrel, and Noah’s Mill gets good reviews.

I’ve personally had Weller 12 & Henry McKenna, and I prefer the latter. I’m not a wheated bourbon fan though.
Not that you don't know given your handle, but unless he's got some connections with his local liquor store, he'll likely have trouble finding most aside from the Noah's Mill. UNLESS he's willing to pay some of the 300-400+ percent secondary mark-ups. I personally won't pay them.

Our palette is definitely differnt I love wheated bourbons and am a big fan of weller. Personally I prefer the Antique, especially if its an older store pick that was NCF. The Weller Full Proof is right behind that, with the WLW obviously being the king of the family.

I'm not a big Pappy fan, I think it's over rated, and think Blanton's is overhyped as well (only bad thing from John Wick). From that mash bill my choice is Rock Hill Farms or Elmer T Lee. Col. E.H. Taylor Single Barrel or Small Batch is more of my regular go, since I have a healthy surplus in the cabinet. Now for a daily sipper that you can find MUCH more regularly, it's hard to beat the following; WT Rare Breed, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Wilderness Trail Rye, IW Harper 15, or Old Forester 1910.

I'll be in Doha on Tuesday and check-out the Duty Free. Was thinking the same thing grab a bottle.

The duty free shop at Tambo was open when I flew home on May 30, the only bourbon I saw was Makers Mark and Wild Turkey, lots of Tennesee whiskey varieties of Jack Daniel's. And a single bottle of Woodford Reserve Baccarat, locked in a glass case, for 25,000 Rand.

20210429_110740.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The duty free shop at Tambo was open when I flew home on May 30, the only bourbon I saw was Makers Mark and Wild Turkey, lots of Tennesee whiskey varieties of Jack Daniel's. And a single bottle of Woodford Reserve Baccarat, locked in a glass case, for 25,000 Rand.
April 30, not May 30. Wishful thinking.

Duty Free in Doha just had the more common stuff when I popped in. The did have a Woodford Double Oak which would have been my choice taste wise.

Tambo had an even smaller selection like stated above.

I flew through DOHA about 6 weeks or so ago. I think I wandered through the same Duty Free Shop that DGGardner mentions above (not to far from the Teddy Bear). I didn't really look at the selection of booze they had but they had quite an assortment it seemed.
Once at the lodge the closest Liquor Store (small village) was nice but selection was lacking. Prices were good though on the dollar conversion. I typically drink Canadian whiskey and they didn't have any. I do believe they had Jack Daniels but not much else from the states that I recognized. So I started drinking brandy - grew quite fond of it actually.
Jack Daniels and Scotch is all they have in Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg