Best Drink You've Had on Safari?

Hendrick's and tonic - the best warm weather drink on any continent.

My favorite African beer is Mosi and my favorite wine is likely Hannibal, although there are many good ones to choose from. Ive found that if you want good scotch or bourbon it’s best to take your own.

The toast of a beer after a long, hard won trophy.
Followed by a whiskey by the evening fire.

Not to hijack the post but I am curious what you think is the best beer you have had in Africa. I tend to drink Windhoek because it is available and very good. LaurenTina is a very tasty Mozambican beer especially the dark version. I think the best beer I have had on safari was St Louis in Botswana. Not always available everywhere. The bar/cafe across the street (dirt road) from the airport in Maun has it. I think the name of the place was Wings or something similar. Interesting place, reminded me a little of Ricks Place in Casablanca. Lots of pilots, flight attendants, and PHs in varying shades of inebriation.

When I went on the 21 day lion hunt in the Zambezi valley in Zimbabwe I knew I needed to take something with me. You see on most safaris I just like to drink what they have and enjoy the local beers and yes now the scotch. I always hated scotch but spending so much time in Africa you can only drink so much beer! Now I do enjoy scotch of many varieties. When traveling I just want to embrace the culture and drink “whatever pours”!

So back to Zim. I thought what would be better than a really good martini in the middle of the wildness? So I packed a small shaker and a big jar of olives and gambled on being able to get vermouth along with the vodka in the duty free in JNB. I was able to get what I needed at duty free just before jumping on the plane to Harare.
The first few nights I just drank what was in the bar but after taking my lion.....The party was on and the shaker came out of my bag, along with everything else.
What a good time we had. The PH’s, the film crew filing Trophy, and myself sipping martinis in the Omay!
What a memory.

I do love Tafel Lager in Namibia and XXXX beer in Australia. Those two are hard to beat. I know, I’ve had some experience drinking
Regards,
Philip

Not to hijack the post but I am curious what you think is the best beer you have had in Africa. I tend to drink Windhoek because it is available and very good. LaurenTina is a very tasty Mozambican beer especially the dark version. I think the best beer I have had on safari was St Louis in Botswana. Not always available everywhere. The bar/cafe across the street (dirt road) from the airport in Maun has it. I think the name of the place was Wings or something similar. Interesting place, reminded me a little of Ricks Place in Casablanca. Lots of pilots, flight attendants, and PHs in varying shades of inebriation.
Tafel Lager in Namibia, easily.

Not to hijack the post but I am curious what you think is the best beer you have had in Africa.

Not to further hijack the thread, but what is the craft beer scene like in Johanseberg or Windhoek? Can you find ipas, stouts, etc at a higher end liquor store on the way out of town? I assume the beer mentioned so far is Bud/Miller/Coors type

If I recall it was called Hansa , a beer I had in RSA, end of the day before heading back to camp after getting a nice mountain reedbuck and a bushbuck in the same day on a big property in the karoo. Honorable mention was the unique mixture of captain morgan and green sparletta cream soda cannot recall what the younger PH in camp called it.

When I went on the 21 day lion hunt in the Zambezi valley in Zimbabwe I knew I needed to take something with me. You see on most safaris I just like to drink what they have and enjoy the local beers and yes now the scotch. I always hated scotch but spending so much time in Africa you can only drink so much beer! Now I do enjoy scotch of many varieties. When traveling I just want to embrace the culture and drink “whatever pours”!

So back to Zim. I thought what would be better than a really good martini in the middle of the wildness? So I packed a small shaker and a big jar of olives and gambled on being able to get vermouth along with the vodka in the duty free in JNB. I was able to get what I needed at duty free just before jumping on the plane to Harare.
The first few nights I just drank what was in the bar but after taking my lion.....The party was on and the shaker came out of my bag, along with everything else.
What a good time we had. The PH’s, the film crew filing Trophy, and myself sipping martinis in the Omay!
What a memory.

I do love Tafel Lager in Namibia and XXXX beer in Australia. Those two are hard to beat. I know, I’ve had some experience drinking
Regards,
Philip
Well sh#t now that’s an idea might have to do the same in June

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg