Best bullets for plains game

gajie270

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
America
I'm not saying what you think the best cartridge is for plains game. I am saying the best bullets, like Nosler partition, swift a frame, TBBC, Barnes TSX, etc.

what are your favorite bullets and why?

youre begging to start the Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument, arent you... :D

I keep things simple.. its Barnes TTSX and TSX for everything from .243 to .416... doesn't matter if Im hunting Dik Dik or Cape Buffalo... its going to be on the receiving end of a barnes bullet..

Why? 19 different species of African game taken with them so far (including DG).. with zero failures..

All that said.. if specifically going after PG, I wouldn't hesitate to use a rifle loaded with partitions, A-frames, trophy bonded bear claws, or any other known quality bullet.. any of them will get the job done with no issues... Barnes is just what I happened to start with.. has worked well for me.. so I see no reason to try to fix what isn't broken..

Thankfully I was very well stocked on projectiles prior to the COVID and follow on Summer of Mostly Peaceful Protests run on ammo and reloading supplies... so.. I haven't had to worry about what bullet to load/shoot... but.. I do have to admit I find it concerning that barnes projectiles have been in very short supply at the retailers that I frequent.. Where I used to be able to walk into my local cabelas or scheels.. or go online to midway on any given day and buy whatever barnes bullet I wanted in whatever caliber I wanted.. its gotten much harder to find them lately.. If they don't come back onto the shelves in decent supply in the next 12-24 months.. at that point I might have to resort to whatever else I can find a decent supply of...

You'll hear a million different recommendations for specific bullet brands and types, which can get confusing. Generally, though, anything that can be relied upon to kill a large-bodied whitetail deer will kill plains game. My rule of thumb concerning bullets is this:

Anything with a sectional density (i.e., weight to diameter ratio) of .270 or greater is OK.
Conventional bullets are OK for moderate velocities (up to 2,500-2,700 fps).
For anything faster, you need premium bullets or else conventional slugs may not hold together.

Simply put, match your bullet to the velocity.

Like on all quadrupeds on Earth, the name of the game is penetration, which largely depends on sectional density. Once you have that, you'll get your animal. On that note, I have it on good authority that hard cast does extremely well too.

Last edited:
It depends on the application. Distances, velocities, calibers and animals hunted. For example I use partitions in my 338 Fed at 2450 and distances under 300 yards. I use Barnes TTSX in my 338wm when distances may exceed 300 and velocities at 2950. All depends on what your doing and how you want the bullet to perform.

I’ve only used Barnes TSX (400gr.416 Ruger and 180gr .30/06) and Swift A/F (300gr .375 HH and 225gr .338 RUM) in Africa. All performed well. The only Barnes recovered was the ..416 from a frontal shot on a buffalo. Three of the .338 Swifts were recovered from an eland, black wildebeest and red hartebeest.
If I had to choose one: Barnes as they seem to penetrate a hint better and generally have a little higher B.C. For a hint flatter trajectory.

Trophy Bonded Tips. I shoot them in my 30.06 and they are great. They are kinda like an old school bear claw bullet but with a plastic tip to make it expand at any speed. I shot straight thru a zebras shoulder with them, it's rara to find one under the skin. All the ones I have recovered looked like federals advertising pictures. I think they're better than a Barnes bullet because they expand more but retain weight. I don't think my old 06 is fast enough to make Barnes bullets expand much

You'll hear a million different recommendations for specific bullet brands and types, which can get confusing. Generally, though, anything that can be relied upon to kill a large-bodied whitetail deer will kill plains game. My rule of thumb concerning bullets is this:

Anything with a sectional density (i.e., weight to diameter ratio) of .270 or greater is OK.
Conventional bullets are OK for moderate velocities (up to 2,500-2,700 fps).
For anything faster, you need premium bullets or else conventional slugs may not hold together.

Simply put, match your bullet to the velocity.

Like on all quadrupeds on Earth, the name of the game is penetration, which largely depends on sectional density. Once you have that, you'll get your animal. On that note, I have it on good authority that hard cast does extremely well too.
As a life long shooter of cast bullets and having used them on a lot of different game they do work rather well. If they were a poor choice, then where did all the American Bison go?

It comes down to what is available these days, unfortunately.
I dont like full monometal bullets so I would say Rhino Solid Shank is my favorite bullet I can get today.
I'm also happy with Norma Oryx and its pretty available too. Well done to the Norma agent in country for this.

It comes down to what is available these days, unfortunately.
I dont like full monometal bullets so I would say Rhino Solid Shank is my favorite bullet I can get today.
I'm also happy with Norma Oryx and its pretty available too. Well done to the Norma agent in country for this.
I had never heard of rhino solid shank bullets. seems like a TBBC performance wise.

I've wanted to try trophy-bonded tips. I just can find them available anywhere.
Yeah they're a real bitch to find, I got three boxes from GunBroker. Paid too much but I love those bullets. They did great on zebra and blue wildebeest.

Let's see now:
Nosler Partitions (for 7x57mm Mauser)
Sako Hammerheads (for .30-06 Springfield)
Swift A Frames (for .338 Winchester Magnum)
Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (for .375 Holland & Holland Magnum)
RWS TUGs (for 9.3x62mm Mauser)
Remington Core Lokts (for .30-06 Springfield)
Winchester Power Points (for .243 Winchester & .270 Winchester)

Availability frequently dictates choice.

Last edited:
I like the Swift A-Frames. Used them in 338win mag(225gr), 257R and 257W(120gr), 30-06(165gr). I also used 100gr TTSX in the 257W and 150gr TTSX in the 30-06 with good results.

I am sure there are other good choices but these were mine. I would like to try the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets.

The premium bullet that your rifle likes best, shoots constant good groups with, and is available.

I would give my proverbial left nut to only use one bullet from my .222 to my .416, but the reality is that numerous have served me well and still do.

.222 - 45gr or 50gr TSX & 50gr V-max
.243 - 85gr TSX 87gr V-max
.250 Savage - 100gr A-frame
6,5x55 - 140gr NP, Rhino, A-frame
6,5x57 - 160gr Woodleigh PP
7x57FN - 160gr NP
7x57Brno - 175gr Hornady RN, 170gr Stewart Hi Performes
.308 -165gr Scirocco, 150gr Nosler BT
8x60 - 180gr TSX & 200gr NP
9,3x62 - 286gr Woodleigh, NP, Stewart Hi Performer
.375 Ruger - 250gr GMX, 300gr Woodleigh PP
.416 Ruger - 350gr A-frame, 400gr Woodleigh, 400gr Dzombo
.450-400 3&1/4” - 400gr Woodleigh,
400gr Dzombo

Note the V-maxes are used for culling or varminting

The premium bullet that your rifle likes best, shoots constant good groups with, and is available.

I would give my proverbial left nut to only use one bullet from my .222 to my .416, but the reality is that numerous have served me well and still do.

7x57FN - 160gr NP
400gr Dzombo

Dewald, is Dzombo still in business ?

I like the Swift A-Frames. Used them in 338win mag(225gr), 257R and 257W(120gr), 30-06(165gr). I also used 100gr TTSX in the 257W and 150gr TTSX in the 30-06 with good results.

I am sure there are other good choices but these were mine. I would like to try the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets.
how well do the a-frames in 257 Weatherby perform on game in your experience? I have two Weatherbys and have been curious for a while.

I'm a fan of the TBBC, and the Trophy Bonded Tipped bullets but if you can't find those the Nosler Accubond is a great PG bullet.

7x57FN - 160gr NP
400gr Dzombo

After my rifle scope was dinged during a fall, my PH had me shoot a cull impala with his Howa 1500 .243 with an 87gr. V-Max bullet. Dropped her where she stood with a chest shot at about 100yds. I was IMPRESSED having never shot anything bigger than a prairie dog with a varmint bullet. He told me he uses that bullet for head shots when culling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross