YancyW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
I am fairly new to fishing, or fishing with seriousness to it, I am setting up some different rods for a bass fishing weekend. Tieing 40lbs braid to12lbs fluoro and then a couple with 20 to 6, if that makes any diffence.

What knot do you guys use?

i would use a nail knot. That‘s what many of us use to join a tippet to leader.

I use an Alberto knot to join mono to fluoro. I don’t generally use braid but it does work well for braid based on what I’ve been told.

It’s a knot that runs through the rod eyes well and if I am spinning with light line and heavier fluoro it doesn’t seem to be a big issue if it does get into the eyes every now and then while casting.

I use an Alberto knot to join mono to fluoro. I don’t generally use braid but it does work well for braid based on what I’ve been told.

It’s a knot that runs through the rod eyes well and if I am spinning with light line and heavier fluoro it doesn’t seem to be a big issue if it does get into the eyes every now and then while casting.

This is what I was going to use. I have been told a FG knot is a better option, but I've had a hell of a time getting that knot to tie well for me. The alberto is much simpler, I think for what I am going to do, it will work well.

I suggest Tony Peña Spectra Know - you'll find easy instructions on you tube.
Super strong, guaranteed :cool:

I used the uni-uni for many years. A few years ago, I switched to the GT knot. It's much stronger than the uni and not as complicated as the FG.

This is what I was going to use. I have been told a FG knot is a better option, but I've had a hell of a time getting that knot to tie well for me. The alberto is much simpler, I think for what I am going to do, it will work well.
FG is good as well but I think it’s a bit more difficult to get a good knot compared to the Alberto.

I also use the FG knot but it took me a while to learn to tie it.
Last year I saw this video below on the "Pinky Method" of tying the FG.
I use this now. Its quick and can be tied in the boat while rocking about a little.
Also works well when you need to use a light main line to heavy leader combinations.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Fun stuff. No expert here. But I like to study knot “theory” for the different applications. I do not use P line so not much help for recommending braid to that type line. But most braid is problematic from a couple of aspects. Some is slick and some tend to cut. Line to line I use some variation of the uni knot keeping in mind the idea to minimize the focused cutting attributes of either line. I do not know the name of the uni knot variation I use mostly but it varies some based on physical attributes of each line. For line to hook, if practicable, hands down the snell knot. If no shank available on hook then some form of double improved clinch. I know some like the Palomar but I never liked it. Also sometimes for line to line if conditions allow I simply use loop to loop using surgeon’s loop on each. I don’t fish saltwater… not sophisticated I know but heh :)

youtube on the alantani/improved Pena knot!

0ne of the variations of the uni knot I use mostly for line to line, if they are similar enough, is what most call a double uni knot. The other thing about knots in the field that can't be overemphasized enough or me anyway is ease of tying. Some knots, if not tied correctly, can actually loose a lot of strength because of cutting... or otherwise fail because of slipping. This is a pretty good diagram of what most call the double uni knot.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 2.46.27 PM.png

For those line diameters I'd stick with a uni to uni (or a uni to improve clinch), just make sure to lubricate the fluoro before cinching.

Just stumbled on this one last week. Very simple.

For heavier leader fg for sure way to go. Lighter line any of the avove will work well.
The most important thing is to get the braid to 'cut' into mono. Thus it needs to be pulled hard and in doing so easily cut your hands. I saw a nice trick where a guide uses the plastic from a bicycle handle to tension it.

FG knot for the win - may need a bit of practice to get the knack. Once you've got it figured out, it's not really any harder to do than most of the others mentioned here.
Browse on youtube for some easier ways to tie the FG.

l use the FG knot myself as explained by a bloke from over my way
this is the best knot for casting the knot through runners IMHO
here he explains how its done for bigger stuff like top water tuna, GT's ect...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois