Best 17HMR

Has kimber ever made a 17 HMR? They were known for 22s at one time, but I can’t find anything about 17s.
You’re right - I was thinking of one of my 17s and it’s actually a cooper, not a Kimber. My kimbers are .22 - Kimber only made the 17 Mach 2 not an HMR

I have 3 17 HmR now, CZ 457 most recently, Ruger 77/17, and a Marlin, the CZ and Marlin are super accurate,the Ruger shoot's good enough and the 9 round clip system can't be beat, get one you will enjoy it

The challenge may be in finding something in stock. None available locally at this time. Same story with .22 WMR. Best of luck............FWB

I bought a Savage 17HMR, the plain wood one. I have the same rifle in 22 LR, and love it. Very accurate and great trigger. I bought it to teach my wife to shoot a few years back. Well the HMR wouldn’t shoot under 1 3/4”. I returned it and got another one well that trigger I couldn’t adjust under 4 pounds and was very inconsistent in its pull at that. Returned again. I am scared to buy a third. Any opinions as to what would be a good 17HMR. I will need to be able to shorten the stock for my wife, so I prefer wood. Thanks.

The finest 17hmr you can get is the Ruger 77/17. Any features you find lacking can be swapped out if you want better trigger, better sear, better barrel, etc.

The key distinguishing features of the Ruger 77/17 are really the magazine. I haven't seen any other 17 hmr that I would characterize as being a good magazine. Ruger factory 9 rounds are the gold standard, and of course you can get some crazy 800 round drum mag for it I'm sure.

My 17hmr has an upgraded sear and a volquartsen custom bull barrel. It was the Talo X-17 model so it has a nice laminate stock with it already. I also had an elongated bolt knob put on mine, custom mounts, and a zeiss scope. The original barrel was a 24" (I think?) matte stainless factory barrel and it was yielding about 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Thinking that wasn't good enough I bought the Volquartsen barrel for about $500 and get the same exact groups out of it. It's fun to shoot baby aspirins glued to cocktail straws at 100 yards and its very lethal on small game. It's accounted for hundreds upon hundreds of jackrabbits.

The finest 17hmr you can get is the Ruger 77/17. Any features you find lacking can be swapped out if you want better trigger, better sear, better barrel, etc.

The key distinguishing features of the Ruger 77/17 are really the magazine. I haven't seen any other 17 hmr that I would characterize as being a good magazine. Ruger factory 9 rounds are the gold standard, and of course you can get some crazy 800 round drum mag for it I'm sure.

My 17hmr has an upgraded sear and a volquartsen custom bull barrel. It was the Talo X-17 model so it has a nice laminate stock with it already. I also had an elongated bolt knob put on mine, custom mounts, and a zeiss scope. The original barrel was a 24" (I think?) matte stainless factory barrel and it was yielding about 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Thinking that wasn't good enough I bought the Volquartsen barrel for about $500 and get the same exact groups out of it. It's fun to shoot baby aspirins glued to cocktail straws at 100 yards and its very lethal on small game. It's accounted for hundreds upon hundreds of jackrabbits.

I don’t think they make the 77 any more. I could look for one in stock some where. Sounds like a good way to go.

Where do you live? I love shooting jacks. But they have been nonexistent where I live for 20 years.

Then you haven’t looked at a browning t-bolt in .17 HMR. Same magazine design, much better execution than the Ruger.

Then you haven’t looked at a browning t-bolt in .17 HMR. Same magazine design, much better execution than the Ruger.

just looked. Not sure if they have a custom program? I just looked at the factory models that cost $800….not even remotely close to the 77/17 in my opinion. I have no knowledge of the internals of the browning or whether there are hundreds of aftermarket manufactures making all types of enhancements so I have to stay in my lane.

With a budget of $1400 you get a factory 77-17, skies the limit if you get into custom ones looking for profound accuracy. I’m a mediocre shot so I can’t say if mine is better than half moa, I’m sorta surprised I can but 5 rounds in a half inch with anything. I certainly can’t with a center fire.

just looked. Not sure if they have a custom program? I just looked at the factory models that cost $800….not even remotely close to the 77/17 in my opinion. I have no knowledge of the internals of the browning or whether there are hundreds of aftermarket manufactures making all types of enhancements so I have to stay in my lane.

With a budget of $1400 you get a factory 77-17, skies the limit if you get into custom ones looking for profound accuracy. I’m a mediocre shot so I can’t say if mine is better than half moa, I’m sorta surprised I can but 5 rounds in a half inch with anything. I certainly can’t with a center fire.

I was really responding to your comment on the magazine being a key differentiating factor. I own both. The design basis is similar, the browning is much higher quality. I get about what you describe, 1/2” at 100. It opens up to about 1.5 at 200 but that may be just me.

I was really responding to your comment on the magazine being a key differentiating factor. I own both. The design basis is similar, the browning is much higher quality. I get about what you describe, 1/2” at 100. It opens up to about 1.5 at 200 but that may be just me.

If you forgive a bit of gun snobbery on my part, I looked at the fit finish photos of the new production models. On the other hand, I did see older Belgian T-bolts and they most definitely had a fit and finish at grade 1 that would knock the socks off the factory Ruger 77/17. It doesn’t appear they made a Belgian 17hmr which is a pity.

If anyone wants a 1/2 moa factory Ruger 77/17 stainless barrel, I have mine available. Many people buy cheaper and more common 77/22 magnums and swap the barrels out as interchangeable.

Forget the 17 HMR if you are looking for CONSISTENT accuracy. Rim fires are very ammo sensitive and QC seems lacking these days. Get a CZ in 17 Hornet and your problems will be over. Frightfully effective, accurate, and reloadable!

I am a fan of the Tbolt. They are not going to be the most accurate nor are they the strongest (not really nessissary in rimfire) but it is finished appropriately for its price. Safety is on the tang and the magazine is good. Plus, it is unique!

I will likely be buying a 22lr tbolt in a few years for my daughter. It would last forever.

I’m finished buying rifles or really any modern firearms but if pressed to get a 17 of some variety, I’d have a 17 Fireball built on a decent short action. And has been posted, a 17 Hornet would also be excellent :)

17HMR is a great round but .17 cal is a pain in the ass to clean.
+1
My CZ 455 with a Yo Dave replacement spring shoots Hornady and CCI rounds 5/8-1” from a solid rest. I do really hate cleaning it!

If you forgive a bit of gun snobbery on my part, I looked at the fit finish photos of the new production models. On the other hand, I did see older Belgian T-bolts and they most definitely had a fit and finish at grade 1 that would knock the socks off the factory Ruger 77/17. It doesn’t appear they made a Belgian 17hmr which is a pity.

If anyone wants a 1/2 moa factory Ruger 77/17 stainless barrel, I have mine available. Many people buy cheaper and more common 77/22 magnums and swap the barrels out as interchangeable.

Mines ok but nothing special from a fit and finish POV. Typical Japanese browning. It is bloody accurate though. I’ve wanted a t-bolt since our local hardware store had one on the rack in the ‘70’s for $70 that I didn’t have!

I have a Bergara trainer in 22lr. It’s the same weight and size as the standard rifle. They make the other caliber you are looking for and goes for about $950. I bought it and put a nightforce scope on so it’s the exact same a the larger rifle. I can consistently shoot an 6” steel at 200 yds with basic 22 or ammo.

Reactions: WAB

Pm sent

I have a Bergara trainer in 22lr. It’s the same weight and size as the standard rifle. They make the other caliber you are looking for and goes for about $950. I bought it and put a nightforce scope on so it’s the exact same a the larger rifle. I can consistently shoot an 6” steel at 200 yds with basic 22 or ammo.

Bergara is a good bet. Outstanding barrels.

I have a sako quad in 17hmr coming hopefully this week. Iv heard they shoot great. Iv shot a tikka that was under a inch with the hornady ammo that we had. I’m sure the voodo would shoot mine in 22lr is stupid accurate. Rimfires are finicky a lot of the accuracy is finding the lot of ammo it likes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MayJason

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg