Beginner left hand hunter

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have three young men 20s and early 30s that I’m helping get started hunting. All three have a little gun experience. I asked on another thread a bit ago about a rifle for one for deer and possibly coyote. I loaned him a tika 223 to practice with and try to shoot a coyote. Now another one of the boys is a lefty. I gave him a lever 22 for Christmas, but it has been to cold here to do much with it yet. I would like to loan him a rifle to go with me after a coyote.

Finally to my question. Do I let him use a right hand rifle? Or do I try to find him a left hand? I looked into a lever but for long range (300-as far as you care to shoot) a lever doesn’t sound like the best choice.

I don’t believe that he will be the type that lives and breathes hunting but would like to come along with me, and enjoys being out. So is it better to just learn how to shoot a right hand that way he has access to my overgrown collection or buy a middle or the road caliber in the correct hand? What say you? (Been dying to use that phrase, the wife hates it.)

As a right-handed, left eye dominant, left-hand shooter-----for long range I have used both right- and left-handed bolt actions. A few hunts here and there he would probably be ok using a RH rifle. Just no semi-auto RH. Ejecting shells and gases past his face might turn him away. If he decides down the road he really likes it, you can look into LH rifles

I have three young men 20s and early 30s that I’m helping get started hunting. All three have a little gun experience. I asked on another thread a bit ago about a rifle for one for deer and possibly coyote. I loaned him a tika 223 to practice with and try to shoot a coyote. Now another one of the boys is a lefty. I gave him a lever 22 for Christmas, but it has been to cold here to do much with it yet. I would like to loan him a rifle to go with me after a coyote.

Finally to my question. Do I let him use a right hand rifle? Or do I try to find him a left hand? I looked into a lever but for long range (300-as far as you care to shoot) a lever doesn’t sound like the best choice.

I don’t believe that he will be the type that lives and breathes hunting but would like to come along with me, and enjoys being out. So is it better to just learn how to shoot a right hand that way he has access to my overgrown collection or buy a middle or the road caliber in the correct hand? What say you? (Been dying to use that phrase, the wife hates it.)
Single shot Henry or or used H&R, cva. There are a few others but those 3 have lower prices.

My son is left eye dominant and left handed. I’m normal :rolleyes: and there for I’ve a safe full of right handed rifles. I bought him several lefties over the years and he’s still using them regularly. Problem is that he still uses my rifles and he shoots them just as well as his lefties.
But the real problem is that 20 years after I bought him his first rifle he is still using my ammunition in both his and my rifles :ROFLMAO:

Tikka left hand would be my choice

I shot right handed rifles till I was 22.

if this guy is serious, look at a LH Ruger American in 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

or a Tikka.

Good advice here. I’m a lefty. Ruger American on a budget, really hard to beat anything Tikka for a mid-price-range factory shooter. If he gets into it, more options in Sako, New Haven Winchester Model 70’s, Ruger Hawkeye, and Zastava Mausers. I have a pile of older REM 700 lefties…I like them too…don’t know about the new ones.

I’m left handed and grew up shooting right handed rifles and shotguns from 6 to 24. No problem learning the fundamentals shooting left handed with right handed firearms. It’s honestly been harder to convert to left handed arms with the action on the wrong side.

With bolt guns the advantage goes to your strong side. Semis are better on the offhand for quick reloads.

I would let him start with one of your RH rifles. One older guy that was a friend of my dad wss left handed but always shot a RH .270, and always did well. His son was right handed, but left eye dominate so he learned to shoot left handed with a RH rifle like his dad. He has never felt a need to change. Another left handed hunting buddy of mine got a good deal on a Tikka RH in .270 WSM. He keeps saying that he's going to buy a new leftie rifle, but he hasn't done it and keeps killing bucks.

I think I am going to see if I can find another right hand Tikka 223 for him to use. That way if he likes it he can decide what he wants, if he doesn’t stick with it I can always use or move on a 223.

Thanks for all the input.

I think I am going to see if I can find another right hand Tikka 223 for him to use. That way if he likes it he can decide what he wants, if he doesn’t stick with it I can always use or move on a 223.

Thanks for all the input.
If you already have a 223, look for a 22-250. Then if he doesn't stick with it or wants a LH- YOU have a 22-250

A lever action 243 will work but imo you aren't going to get 300 yards out of it on a coyote size target due to a heavier trigger and forarm pressure on the barrel. But I think 150 yards is certainly very doable and 200 not out of the question depending on the shooter.

I think the only ones that make sense are:

Browning BLR Stainless Laminate (blued and wood is very shiney and stock is easy to scratch - I would murder a newbie if they touched mine). It will need a very qualified Browning gunsmith to fix the horriffic trigger but I really like them because you don't need a hammer

Henry Long Ranger. Henry is going to have the better trigger (though like 4-4.5) but plan for the hammer spur.

Savage 99 with tang safety. I have never shot one though, prices have really gone up lately

However for these prices you can buy an entry level right and left hand bolt action.

Since these are new shooters you are talking about why are they taking 300m shots on live prey? Everything deserves a clean kill. Would it not make better sense to start your friend off on a Marlin lever in say 30-30 and introduce the skills of the stalk and the hunt rather than maybe lucky hits who knows where?
I would also think that the rifle must be right or what is the point of getting into the sport? So if it is to be a bolt rather than a lever spend the time and energy to get a left handed gun and do it properly.

I am wrong handed right brained…having been hit with shell casing from a browning bar, watching shotgun shells fly by my right eye with Remington 1100, I decided left hand left hand bolt and shotguns were the way to go. Nothing wrong learning to shoot a right hand bold left handed. But if you are going to buy a rifle, Tikka makes a nice rifle that’s reasonably priced—I paid approx 500$ two years ago for a 6.5 creedmoor for varmints and plinking Good shooter. I have a bolt browning 7 mm rem mag and 375 h and h. Both are very accurate. I also have a ruger American in 300 black out. Another cheap option.

I shot right hand bolts as a lefty when I was young. I shot mostly levers and pumps for a while. There was only 4 calibers available back in the day, that I could find.
I got a left hand bolt in my late 20's, it was soooo much nicer. Still shoot it today.
Mine is a Remington BDL 700. it has taken A LOT of animals in it's day.
I would recommend a left hand bolt for Southpaws. Once you had one you won't go back.

A nice double, stored at your house.
Problem solved.
:)

If you already have a 223, look for a 22-250. Then if he doesn't stick with it or wants a LH- YOU have a 22-250

I just about broke down and bought one last night. Lol they had a bunch of 22-250s and no 223s I have never been a big fan of the 22-250. It definitely has more authority than a 223 for coyotes but I just reach for a 243 if I want more bang. Maybe it is just the rifles I had it in but the rifles I shoot most are 223, 375 Rum and 243.

Since these are new shooters you are talking about why are they taking 300m shots on live prey? Everything deserves a clean kill. Would it not make better sense to start your friend off on a Marlin lever in say 30-30 and introduce the skills of the stalk and the hunt rather than maybe lucky hits who knows where?
I would also think that the rifle must be right or what is the point of getting into the sport? So if it is to be a bolt rather than a lever spend the time and energy to get a left handed gun and do it properly.

We hunt coyotes mostly by tracking in the snow. Shots are usually long, 200 on out, if they are still or running like there tail is on fire. We miss plenty. But in 30 plus years I don’t think we lost more than a handful that were hit. Very easy to follow blood in the snow. Most of those, we lost, we ran out of light and because of additional snow or some other reason could not return the next day.

A nice double, stored at your house.
Problem solved.
:)

This maybe just the reason I need to tell my wife to get a double, stored at my house. Two of the mentioned boys are my sep boys. So she is very happy that we are spending time together. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross