Bear Taxidermy: Shoulder vs Rug

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by FLhunter7, Apr 16, 2018.

1. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    There are some really cool action pose shoulder/half body mounts now days. Check into them, with a touch of wall habitat they can really give the feel of a full body mount at much much less cost.

JimP likes this.

2. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    A bear rug on the floor eventually gets stepped on the ears get broken ,people trip over the head. There are some excellent half mounts in about any pose you would like and with a little wall habitat they look awesome.

JimP likes this.

3. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I wished that I would of had mine done in a 1/2-3/4 wall mount with habitat, I would enjoy it that much better than the rug that I had made.

My problem with the rug is that I have it over the back of a couch, then every time someone sits there they have to move the paws and legs of the rug. It always seams to be in someones way.

4. Arctic97

Arctic97 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Michigan, Missouri, California
    I am a rug fan. Take a look at www.rugsbynancy.com. Her husband Bruce has done a lot of African mounts for me - always beautiful work. Nancy's skill with the sewing part of a rug make them the best of the best. They have frozen bear hides shipped to them from all over North America, so where ever you are, it is very doable. Good luck.

5. Ryan Wilson

Ryan Wilson AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa, Texas, Wyoming, Alberta Canada, South Africa
    I'm doing a half mount on my bear. I think they look pretty good, otherwise I'd do a rug with a head mount.

Arctic97 likes this.

6. dobber

dobber AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    For me it depends on the bear, would want a shoulder mount or full mount if it had that nice white V patch on its chest, or the rug i have, that bear has a reddish stripe of hair down its back like a skunk rug
    My last several bears i tried to give the hides away but no one wanted them, well unless i paid to process them. I do have one bear on my property that may get special treatment if we run across each other, has the big white V patch on his chest and is a 500#+ brute

Arctic97 likes this.

7. Lee M

Lee M AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, USA, Canada
    1/2 mounts are good as well as rugs. I’ve done both. I’ve seen a few small shoulder (neck and head) and don’t like them.

Arctic97 likes this.

8. Doug375

Doug375 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    U.S., Namibia, Zambia
    It depends on the condition of the hide. For a bear with deep, thick fur it's tough to beat a rug or full body mount. IMO, it's kind of sad not to display all of that beautiful fur. The one black bear I have taken so far had rubbed his hide pretty badly, so I went with a shoulder mount. The next one I shoot will be in full "plumage" and I'll make a rug. I'll be pickier the next time.