Bear Broadhead Choice

Lungshot202

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SA, CO, AZ
Hello, for hunting Black Bear, can I use mechanical broadheads which I usually use, or should I use fixed blades broadheads for penetration. It will be in September so their fur might not be as thick.

I switched to 2 blade stinger broadheads this year. Only because going on an elk hunt but will be my only broadhead going forward. Shoots awesome and if you go down a rabbit hole online you'll see alot of people pro-two blade for penetration. Let you know how my september elk hunt goes. Throwing some through pigs next weekend to test them out.

Rage in the cage - the blood trail is key and a rage will make em bleed

i've shot mechanicals for last 6 years without any issues. That said, im not trying to introduce an unnecisary potential issues to my hunts. Anything mechanical can fail. I get similar to fieldtip flight with my 2 blade stinger which removes any benefit my mechanical was giving me

Fixed blade. Thunderheads, G, even big 2-blade Zwikies. smh at all the losses friends incurred using mechanicals over the years. 'Tracked 1 big buck with a mechanical partially penetrating the near shouulder-it poked at 1 lung as the deer ran 1 mi in the dark, laid down...and we found it the next day. Fixed would've went through both shoulders (and this is a 200 lb deer we're talking about.) Bear are more stoutly constructed (up to 880 lbs around here-would NEVER consider it.) Good luck!

I would use Slick Tricks.
They fly true, are all steel, super sharp, and very tough. I used 125 Slick Tricks for two elk, and Viper Tricks for a big bison, so I guess they can work very well for even a big bear.

I use fixed blades myself.

I like 2-blade vented 125 gr. VPA Penetrators and Magnus Stinger 4-blade 125 gr. Broadheads. Both BH's fly true and perform well.

lungshot,

if your broad heads are very sharp and your shot placement is broadside/double lung and spot on, it wont matter a lot which broad head you use.

if you take a angle/quartering shot, hit some bones, are off a bit etc, then it is going to matter about your arrow weight and broad head type.

i have shot several black bears with a 2 blade head that was in hindsight, not as sharp as it should have been, with a 65# longbow. not one ran more than 70 yards. all were good double lung hits. as always, shot placement is the key.

the 2 blade and single bevel will penetrate better than mechanical or multi blade.

what is still funny to me: a guy is REQUIRED to use a 2 blade when hunting cape buffalo and that is considered plenty, but we need to use all kinds of "interesting" broad heads when shooting a deer, or black bear......hmmmm.

"what is still funny to me: a guy is REQUIRED to use a 2 blade when hunting cape buffalo and that is considered plenty, but we need to use all kinds of "interesting" broad heads when shooting a deer, or black bear......hmmmm."

Amen !!!!!~

Grizzlystik forged 315 grain broadheads, work on cape buffalo and the like, should penetrate well on a bear even with a poor angle when making follow up shots.

two fixed blades with single bevel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross