Barnes TSX bullet barrel fouling?

I’ve used Hoppe’s #9 for 65 years. I’m addicted to the smell. :confused:
I have found in my rifles that Barnes bullets shoot tighter groups once the bore is fouled well. I do clean it well occasionally. First Hoppe’s soaked for 15 minutes or so. A few patches. Then Hoppe’s again. While wet, a bronze bore brush 10 strokes each direction. Then patches until they come out clean (usually 5-6).
My rifles are mostly stainless steel Tikkas, Kimbers, and MRC. There barrels were polished from the factories supposedly.
I too have used Hoppes for 40 plus years. I used to soak my revolver overnight in a glass jar full of Hoppes to loosen the lead fouling in the barrel, between the barrel cone and receiver top and front of cylinder. Worked wonders! But, it wasn’t copper fouling? I’ll try several things according to you and the other experts here. Other than that, I’ll just shoot it as often as I can. But, I’m also considering switching to Barnes for my Browning.338 , replacing the Remington Core Lokts which have now become more expensive than the Barnes cartridges! Go figure?

Maybe it’s not s big deal?

Or maybe it is. I've developed loads with the Barnes bullets that are fabulously accurate. And in a number of different rifles. One reason I shy away from them those is that accuracy will taper off quickly and become dramatically bad once the copper builds up enough. Clean all of that copper out and the load comes right back however.

How fast does this happen? Depends on the rifle, but you'll know it when it happens. And I know this has been the case for many shooters.

As far as cleaning goes I've also used the KG-12 product and the cleaners from Boretech. They'll get that copper out quickly and without the ammonia smell. By quickly, I mean you won't have to soak your barrel overnight. I normally will wrap a brush in a cleaning swab soaked the cleaner. Within maybe an hour or less, I'm done.

I am with Phil on this, though I admit to being somewhat anal about bore cleaning:rolleyes:o_O. I do believe it matters. Others MMV. +1 on Bore Tech, especially the one for copper, it works great and IS easy on barrels. Not all chems are hard on barrels:whistle:, mostly those with lots of ammonia which even Hoppes has a little, but I leave Hoppes soaking in bores for long periods of time and with no worries.(y) Its my main cleaner and takes quite a bit of copper out as well, but for the tough ones, Bore Tech is the ticket(y). I quit using CR10 and 7.62 quite some time ago. I hate ammonia.:(

Sweet’s 7.62 copper solvent or Boretech CU Solvent will remove copper deposits easily. The standard Boretech bore cleaner usually does the job of carbon and copper removal well enough, it is biodegradable too. I find Hoppes doesn’t do much when compared to products like Boretech be it for carbon or copper removal. Ballistol does even less, it is a mild CLP at best. However some shooters recommend mechanical vs chemical removal arguing that it is more like lapping a barrel and leaves some copper behind filling any gaps and uneven bits in the bore. I once witnessed a lively discussion of this topic between two very good long distance shooters each achieving similar 1000m target scores but disagreeing on how to clean the barrel.

I am more concerned with a carbon ring versus a small amount of copper fouling. Ultimately, let the target tell you if it's a problem.

It's not only the bullet and condition of the bore that affect the buildup of copper. Powders can have a marked effect on copper fouling. I use Vihtavouri in all but two of my rifles, more shots between cleaning and less copper. There are a lot of others that have decoppering agents in them.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powders/vihtavuori-decoppering-agent/

Last edited:
It's not only the bullet and condition of the bore that affect the buildup of copper. Powders can have a marked effect on copper fouling. I use Vihtavouri in all but two of my rifles, more shots between cleaning and less copper. There are a lot of others that have decoppering agents in them.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powders/vihtavuori-decoppering-agent/
Very interesting information on the vihtavuori powder. I have about nine pounds of W748 that I’m going to use up reloading the WM. It’s not the best powder available and a little dirty, but works well in .308 and .22-250, and is what’s on hand.

Last edited:
I shoot TSX and now TTSX in my .338wm. Stainless barrel with +/- 1000 rounds. I was "worried" about copper fouling due to all the online chatter about it. I cleaned it with the Hoppes foaming bore cleaner and couldn't tell a difference in the bore or shooting. Still shoots like it did on the first day.....
I got worried when I first heard about monolithic soilds. Just got a new Ruger M77 Magnum in 458 Lott and bought 120 Barnes 500gr TSX-FB . I was thinking the barrel is made of hammer forged steel and the bullets are soft copper. Does not make sense to worry too much. I clean the bore with Bore bright after about 20 rounds. I'll run a brush threw it. I think people are over thinking but I can understand when your talking about a pricey rifle

I'll give that a whirl. I have 100 of those Barnes and I'll shoot about 60 before I leave to South Africa. Need to practice shooting off sticks

CoElkHunter, if you want to up the velocity and not jump pressures give AA2230 a go I think you will like it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.