Barnes solids and TSX’s

I haven’t seen them in Canada, but will see if I can locate a box.

I use the Nosler 300 gr mono.
I shoot a lot of Nosler bullets. I looked into them too and the only source I can find in Canada has them at $160/25 bullets (not loaded ammo).

All excellent info folks! I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Does ceb make a 300 gr FP solid 375 in copper? The comparable FP mono copper bullets were- Rhino, GS Custom and North Fork. To my knowledge North Forks are the only ones currently avail in US.
Nosler makes a 300grn flat nose solid. Availability is a different matter.

That is the FP monolithic bullet I’m aware of made by CEB. I’ve tested some brass bullets, both the hollow point fragmenting Raptor and the FP brass monolithic and they seem to shoot fine. Some like them fine for hunting. I trust copper and they are all I use for hunting. Unless mistaken, those FPs are brass not copper.
I think you’re going to find most solids these days are made from brass. Cutting Edge, Trophy Bonded, Nosler are all made from brass and while Swift says their breakaway solids are made from a “proprietary metal” I think you’ll find that brass is a major ingredient. Trophy Bonded used to be made from Naval Bronze years ago but I’m pretty certain they’re brass now.

I‘m probably wrong about this but I’m guessing Barnes, Woodleigh (if you can find some) and Hornady (if they still make solids) are your only options if you want copper.

I’m prepping for an upcoming hunt in Tanzania. I am loading and shooting Barnes 300 gr TSX‘s in my 375 H&H and was asked by my Outfitter and PH to bring along some solids for Hippo. I’d like to find the solids that shoot as similarly as possible to the TSX’s. Should I be looking for Barnes banded solids (300/270 gr) or something else?

Thanks in advance.
I've done the same with Barnes TSX and their solids. People with lots of experience with Barnes TSX are finding that there are truly few situations that a solid is needed. My follow up on the tuskless elephant with a solid (TIA episode soon to be on Sportsman's channel) traveled front to back and nearly exited! So on a hippo it will likely exit.
They are good for when a nice Duiker presents itself However!
Have an epic safari!

Don't know the reason why there are more brass and brass alloy monolithics than copper monolithics but I suspect it may be cheaper and easier to make them to a certain level of precision. I talked at length to the original owner of GS Custom bullets a couple of times and he always mentioned the difficulty in reliably getting a type of raw copper product and the difficulties in maintaining minimum acceptable tolerances with his machines during runs. North Fork currently makes copper monolithic solids in both flat point and cup point form. It took North Fork forever to get back into production after the move to Sweden during the scamdemic. North Fork makes excellent bullets.

Don't know the reason why there are more brass and brass alloy monolithics than copper monolithics but I suspect it may be cheaper and easier to make them to a certain level of precision. I talked at length to the original owner of GS Custom bullets a couple of times and he always mentioned the difficulty in reliably getting a type of raw copper product and the difficulties in maintaining minimum acceptable tolerances with his machines during runs. North Fork currently makes copper monolithic solids in both flat point and cup point form. It took North Fork forever to get back into production after the move to Sweden during the scamdemic. North Fork makes excellent bullets.
I don’t believe North Fork makes any monometal bullets. All lead core

I don’t believe North Fork makes any monometal bullets. All lead core
North Fork sold and moved from US to Sweden near or just before the beginning of the scamdemic. They are making the same bullets as when they were here. Currently Reloading International is the US importer/ distributor. Check out Reloading International's web site.

SS is a thick taper copper jacketed solid shank bonded lead core bullet
PP is similar to the SS but the nose jacket is internally skived to open more rapidly than the SS
CPS is a copper monolithic cup point solid
FPS is a copper monolithic flat point solid

link to their bullet list

Last edited:
Rhino dont make copper solids....
Correct, my mistake. Their FP monometal is I think some kind of a brass-lead alloy. The discussion is a moot point for US shooters anyway especially reloaders as Rhino bullets are a product of the RSA and not practically available in the US. I have no clue about their availability to the rest of the World either.

Last edited:
Nosler makes a 300grn flat nose solid. Availability is a different matter.
Yes they do and they were in the FP monometal game early on. But I have always avoided even trying them because they have no drive bands so no way to mitigate wacky pressures or friction if size to bore is a little off. IMO, it is the same design flaw that doomed the original Barnes X bullet. It took Barnes years to acknowledge that flaw and correct it even though bullet shank drive bands have been known about since the Civil War. :)

Yes they do and they were in the FP monometal game early on. But I have always avoided even trying them because they have no drive bands so no way to mitigate wacky pressures or friction if size to bore is a little off. IMO, it is the same design flaw that doomed the original Barnes X bullet. It took Barnes years to acknowledge that flaw and correct it even though bullet shank drive bands have been known about since the Civil War. :)
Good day sir. All valid points you bring up with the Nosler FP solids. But,... they do have a bore riding nose. The ones I have for my 9.3X62 give outstanding accuracy, shoot to the same point of impact as the Swift A-Frame (286grn) with my handloads with no pressure signs. Bolt lift and extraction is one finger easy. I've tested them to temps over 100F here in south Louisiana with no problems. My first choice would have been Woodleigh Hydro solids but they were unavailable (due to the fire) so I went with the Nosler.

Will these solids expand at all. Would like to see what the bulls looks like ante the shot

Barnes Banded Solids in magazine rifle calibers (like .375) are round nosed. Which is okay. But I personally prefer flat nosed.

I recommend 300Gr Norma flat nosed monolithic solids (among factory loads).
And 300Gr Cutting Edge Safari Solids or 300Gr Rhino Monolithic Solids (among bullets for hand loading).
I have loaded 300Gr. Nosler solids to same velocity as 300Gr. Barnes tsx bullets and find POI at 100 yds virtually the same from Sako with 24" Hart barrel. Ph on last hunting trip to Tanzania in 2019 said the solids were unnecessary since he had such great success with the tsx bullets on both Cape buffalo and hippo. I admit, on that particular trip I was shooting 500Gr. tsx bullets from a 460Wby DGR. Dropped a big buffalo in his tracks..dead with a pass thru shot strking at the base of the neck. PH and crew were very pleased since we were in tall grass where tracking a wounded buffala can be dicy.

Here is a set of 4 groups with a 20” 416 Remington and 4 different bullets. I mis-marked the Swift Aframe as TBBC in the photo. These targets show that a number of bullets can group in the same place from the same rifle. You just have to try them out. Much to my surprise, these took no load development!
7F406627-145C-4B68-B41F-24BCE6093770.jpeg
681E9893-1760-4E55-AB73-BB608D5E18A7.jpeg

B16ED4AF-8B10-4072-8908-7CF12AD3D289.jpeg
67EC5CE1-1229-49EE-89D3-1F27A3CCFBB9.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,