Barnes bullet failures?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by njc110381, Oct 20, 2019.

1. perttime

perttime AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    And then there's the large and easily excitable animals themselves, that you dont want to come after you in their last seconds or minutes.

Ridgewalker and CoElkHunter like this.

2. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    Shot placement will also differ depending on species being hunted. The smaller ones are better shot just behind the shoulder. Bigger ones are better shot taking out one or both shoulders and the top of the heart and both lungs.

Ridgewalker and CoElkHunter like this.

3. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I had a bullet failure on a whitetail deer using their 270gr .375H&H ammunition. I personally would take something a little more premium if I was to hunt dangerous game! It wasn't even a close shot - 100 yards give or take a few.

CoElkHunter likes this.

4. James Sexton

James Sexton AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I’m going to put my opinion in here. This is the first year using Barnes Ttsx bullets. The reason for using Barnes ttsx is as I was trying to find a good load in my Ruger Hawkeye 300 win. mag. It seemed it did not like any bullet and powder combo. I tried a few Hornady and Sierra and others as well. I picked up a box of 180 gr. ttsx at my local Bass Pro. Loaded some and started shooting. These bullets by far were the best that I had tried accuracy wise. Settled on 71 gr. Rl 23 and at book coal. 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. So that’s what was loaded for hunting season. Now I’ll give my opinion and my opinion only on performance. Shot a small buck Saturday November 16th opening day of our rifle season here in very western tip of Virginia. Deer was shot at 211 yards across an open pasture field. Bullet struck deer about base of the neck exited just behind the off shoulder. Was shooting quartering to me at a downhill angle. After retrieving the deer and skinning and quartering deer bullet did not in my opinion do the tissue damage as say an interlock or Nosler partition. Bullet did the job as the deer was harvested. Here is a picture of the damage. As you notice not a lot of bloodshot trauma around the wound. Deer was shot on left side exited right side. About three inches of spine was taken out. No bullet was recovered. Image1574101973.368998.jpg Image1574101998.590148.jpg

CoElkHunter likes this.

5. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    I can clearly see where the bullet entered, a bit difficult to be sure where on the should it exited. Would the bullet path have taken it through much of the lung(s)?

6. James Sexton

James Sexton AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Did catch the very top of lungs.

7. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Just shot two cull whitetail with Barnes TSX in .223. Both expanded well and exited. One went 15 yards one DRT (ok maybe 3yds) 223 too small for deer? Not if using Barnes! I am very happy with the performance and can’t wait to use more Barnes in more calibers.
    Philip