Barnes bullet expansion in large calibers (375 and up)

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Had terrible performance of 250 grain Hornady GMX out of a 375 H&H.

thats interesting, i used 250 gr GMX bullets in my 375 ruger and had phenomenal luck with that bullet. 1 big bull moose, 2 bull caribou and a very large brown bear. recovered a bullet from one frontal caribou, one neck shot quartering moose and broadside bear, all perfect expansion and performance. bear was shot multiple times.

Badboymelvin

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
gentlemen,

i just talked to ryan at the barnes bullet company this morning and got some news/finality that i will share with you.

this is by memory so here you go,

BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK BULLETS;

500 gr= opens down to 1400 fps
450 gr= opens down to 1500
400 gr= opens down to 1600 fps
350 gr= opens down to 1500 fps

300 gr and lighter were designed with the 458 socomm in mind and open down to
1100-1200 fps.

like a dumbass, i forgot to ask about the 470 and 500 cal bullets, but this give you some ideas on their approach to building a bullet for express rifles. also, ryan mentioned that this information was not published anywhere (i did ask that)

so, there ya go people, the last word (that is not anecdotal) regarding barnes triple shock bullets started out at express velocities.

Thanks for posting this - it's a valuable tool for people who use Barnes triple Shock bullets. (y)

Cheers,

Russ

baxterb

AH veteran
Reaction score
I would ask why?
bruce.

He says the fast twist (1:12 vs. The 1:15 that’s needed to stabilize a 300gr) “this adds unnecessary rotational forces to a bullet that i suspect contributed in some way to the 375s reputation for poor performance with conventional soft points.”

bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I wish we could get Barnes bullets here again in South Africa , i would like to use the 300g in .416 as well as the 250g in .375

Alistair

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
He says the fast twist (1:12 vs. The 1:15 that’s needed to stabilize a 300gr) “this adds unnecessary rotational forces to a bullet that i suspect contributed in some way to the 375s reputation for poor performance with conventional soft points.”

It's probably a fair point this. A faster speed of rotation is likely to destabilise the bullet faster and cause more yaw in tissue once expansion starts and the centre of mass and centre of rotation starts to change

That said, I think this small loss is more than balanced out by the flexibility that fast twist gives you with lighter bullet weights for lighter game and practice.

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
That said, I think this small loss is more than balanced out by the flexibility that fast twist gives you with lighter bullet weights for lighter game and practice.

alister, i believe that a faster twist benefits longer/heavier bullets more. slower twists benefit lighter shorter bullets more. (all this of course in the same caliber.)

Last edited:

Tidalgunner

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I actually called Barnes and talked to them about expansion of their .510 caliber TSX bullets. "As long as you are over 1,200 fps they will open up" was the answer I got.
I second that. The velocity has to be a minimum of 1200 to get the hydrostatic pressure to open the petals. I have a .338 win mag and I actually keep it at a max range of 500 yards (1900 fps) because the petals don't open up enough past that range where I would feel comfortable. After that the velocity curve really degrades.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score

it must be to do with conventional cup and core bullets.
experiments done by a friend with twists in 220 swift clearly showed more violent terminal performance with faster twists.
he was looking for explosive varmint behaviour and found it.
the same would hold true of softs in hunting calibres, less the explosiveness.
higher striking velocity also does this.
however barnesx would not have this problem, and probably swift as well.
I would not trust woodleighs as much in fast twists.
bruce.

Dirtdart

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member SCI, Benefactor NRA, NMLRA.
Hunted
RSA, Namibia
These are 235 grain .375 Barnes X recovered from my 100 yard backstop dirt backstop with 100% retention. Doesn't mean much but is more confidence inspiring than other things
DSC03748.jpg
I have retrieved.

ve7poi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member SCI
Hunted
British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
Used Barnes 400tsx in 404 Jeffery at 2300fps chronograph on Cape eland at 200yds
Bullet opened up perfect petals and went through both shoulders ending up under skin on off shoulder.

1E595D25-946E-4DC6-A1CF-13FDDC56E90C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
Used Barnes 400tsx in 404 Jeffery at 2300fps chronograph on Cape eland at 200yds
Bullet opened up perfect petals and went through both shoulders ending up under skin on off shoulder.
elands are big.
bruce.

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada

great performance, start velocity 150-200 fps faster than an "express" rifle, and inpacting around 2000 fps. still, good info thanks.

Ed Lally

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
Over the last three Safaris, I used Barnes 50gr (.22-250), 100gr (.25-06), 140gr (7x64), 165gr (.300 WBY), 250gr (.375H&H) on PG, everything from Springbok to Zebra and EVERY shot except one was a one shot kill and that was my fault, I pulled the shot. I recovered several bullets and all were textbook expansions. 50gr to 250gr and performed as advertised!! I am hunting Buff in Zim in 2021. I will use 500gr Barnes in .470 NE or .458 Lott (bringing both). If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dextron

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J