Barnes Banded Solid

Hyde Hunter

AH elite
Joined
Dec 22, 2019
Messages
1,339
Reaction score
1,762
Location
Stickney,SD
Media
12
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
have not seen anything yet but just got off the phone and Barnes is now making the 450 grain Banded Solid for the 458 win mag and Lott and he said they are now in stock for your dealer to order as they do not sell to the public
 
I believe the new ones are round nose. I'd go with CEB flat point solids if that's the case.
yes the picture I saw shows they are a round nose
 
Just curious. What’s the advantage of the flat nose?
 
Just curious. What’s the advantage of the flat nose?
Penetration. I have seen a hunt report where a 450 gr 458 FN barnes went from a cow elephant's head to her tail.


I bought 80 of them for .25c each a bunch of years ago. Barnes should offer both RN and FN. I dont understand why they don't
 
Here are 2 pictures of a 400 grain Barnes Banded Solid, shot from my 404 Jeffery, recovered from a hippo I shot last month. I believe the flat nosed solids are of a bit older vintage and I was able to buy them from a fellow AHer late last year and had them loaded by Safari Arms, since I do not reload. Was very pleased with this projectiles performance. I plan on using them again on an elephant hunt in 2025
IMG_5714.jpeg
IMG_5715.jpeg
 
Penetration. I have seen a hunt report where a 450 gr 458 FN barnes went from a cow elephant's head to her tail.


I bought 80 of them for .25c each a bunch of years ago. Barnes should offer both RN and FN. I dont understand why they don't
A few years ago the feds forced Barnes to quit making their monolithic flat point, claiming it was a “cop killer”. Apparently Barnes or whomever owns Barnes now has not wished to revisit the issue. That’s the scuttlebutt.
 
Last edited:
Penetration. I have seen a hunt report where a 450 gr 458 FN barnes went from a cow elephant's head to her tail.


I bought 80 of them for .25c each a bunch of years ago. Barnes should offer both RN and FN. I dont understand why they don't
Thanks for the reply. Good to know.
 
A few years ago the feds forced Barnes to quit making their monolithic flat point, claiming it was a “cop killer”. Apparently Barnes or whomever owns Barnes now has not wished to revisit the issue. That’s the scuttlebutt.
Then why does Barnes still list several Flat Nose Solid bullets? Are they all old inventory?
 
Then why does Barnes still list several Flat Nose Solid bullets? Are they all old inventory?
I wish I were wrong but show me the Barnes website page for .458 Flat Point Banded Solids. Inspection shows both 458 bullets, 450 and 500 gr, are RN.

The original suit or injunction IIRC may have been caliber specific. You can always call Barnes directly and ask specifically the bullets available in Flat Point Banded Solid. Also unless mistaken all their banded solids are brass and not copper. I prefer copper … just a personal choice.
 
Last edited:
Barnes stated that since there are some handgun calibers that use 375 and 458 bullets, they had to quit making solids in those calibers. They're considered armor piercing. The rules must've changed and Barnes started making solids in those calibers again. I think the whole round nose thing is simply to make them feed better in bolt guns.
 
If I were wanting to load .458 solids for DG hunting I would consider the North Fork FPS bullets available from Reloading International. They show both 450 gr and 500 gr FPS 458s in stock.
go to Reloading International's website for ordering and contact info

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 9.20.43 AM.png


If still curious about Barnes just call them. The last time I drove by their factory the lights were on at 5 AM and they looked to be up and running.

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 9.18.30 AM.png
 
Only the Barnes Banded Solids in double rifle calibers (.410, .474, .510 & .618) are currently manufactured with flat noses.
 
Barnes stated that since there are some handgun calibers that use 375 and 458 bullets, they had to quit making solids in those calibers. They're considered armor piercing. The rules must've changed and Barnes started making solids in those calibers again. I think the whole round nose thing is simply to make them feed better in bolt guns.
Im interested in the jm stamped marlin 45/70
 
Then why does Barnes still list several Flat Nose Solid bullets? Are they all old inventory?
'Have shot the RN banded solids @ 2,450 fps to very good effect!!! No issues. .458 WM and many old time slower double NEs prob beg of the FN. ;) The much better suited Lott will push that RN to the Middle East where it belongs!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,388
Messages
1,574,811
Members
170,177
Latest member
oncloudtilt
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top